Metal Essentials I: Grandfathers of Metal (1970 - 1975) - FINAL ROUND - Zeppelin vs Sabbath

vote for your FAVORITE song in each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not totally sold on the first two tracks on either album, but I'll give the edge to "Wheels of Confusion" for its coda, and to "Rock and Roll" for its intro.

I can easily understand why so many people hate "The Battle of Evermore" - the trinity of Plant, Denny and the mandolin does produce a nails-on-a-chalkboard effect at times. That said, for me the track has always worked, to the point where it's probably my second favourite on the album, because there is something genuinely strange, almost otherwordly about these particular nails and this particular chalkboard. And "Changes" is boring anyway.

I'm going to be pointlessly contrarian and vote for "Supernaut". "Snowblind" and "Going to California" prevail over uninspiring opposition.

"When the Levee Breaks" has been done in many ways by different artists. Zeppelin go all-out apocalyptic and this time, they succeed like nobody else before or after. The drums come at you like a tidal wave, the guitars drag you down in the muddy water, and for seven minutes you're floating down the river, trying to keep your head above the surface. Sonically, it's as perfect a heavy metal song as any.

Overall, Zeppelin's fourth has both higher peaks and lower valleys than its Sabbath counterpart. Apart from "Supernaut" I find no first-rank Sabbath classic here, the album feels like a step down from Paranoid and Master of Reality.

These days I’d say I’m more of a Sabbath guy than a Zep guy, and this is far from my favorite Zep album (although it has grown a lot over the years). Still I found myself giving the edge to Zeppelin almost every time and the rounds where I gave the nod to Sabbath were close. I found the Zeppelin album to be ever so slightly more adventurous and that they succeed more than Sabbath does when going outside their comfort zone. When the Levee Breaks is an intense slab of Metal, but, then again, so is Supernaut. I’m surprised at how much Zep dominated this one.

Btw Changes is kinda goofy but it’s nice to hear the band branch out and there are some good moments. You should hear it performed by an actual soul singer:

I don't remember if I got around to voting last time (I'd mostly go with BÖC, honestly, because I don't like Queen that much anymore and SHA is my least favourite pre-Flash Gordon album at that) and I have a hard time voting here.

You see, I like both bands, but ... Vol. 4 is my absolutely least favourite Sabbath album of the first 6 and pretty much all Zeppelin albums are somewhat hit and miss. I'll try to play both and choose somehow, but I'm really kinda lost here. I get the feeling Sabbath are going to win, but that's a really blind guess.

Ah, I don't need to play Zoso again, I still remember it quite well. Just finished 4. In general I think that their multi-part obsession was still rather immature here, their switches are sometimes rather abrupt and illogical, but it shows the way for the grand future (the next two albums which are still probably the best Sabbath your money can buy, along with Master of Reality, if you're more of a

Black Dog
/ Wheels of Confusion
It's quite possible that one of the reasons for my low overall opinion on Vol. 4 might be the fact it begins with one of the most boring tracks in the Sabbath discography so far. I know it's popular, but the first three minutes or so are just so very teeth-grindingly static ... then the song picks up some steam and the ending is really, really cool, but you have to wait for five minutes 'til you get to it. So Zep get my vote - overplayed as it might be, the main riff is just awesome and the start-stop structure is still fresh after all these years. Also, much as I might dislike Plant in general, he really fits songs like these (he'd be even better on Achilles Last Stand, though).

Rock and Roll / Tomorrow's Dream
Rock and Roll is a fun throwback-y romp, but TD has this wicked earthy riff that wins in this particular competition. Also, it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

The Battle of Evermore / Changes
I'm not a fan of either, but Changes is at least memorable and really sticks out on the album. I think Ozzy's own "answer to himself", You Won't Change Me, hilarious as it might seem in comparison, is a much, much better song, one of my favourites, actually.

Stairway to Heaven / Supernaut
From what snippets I remember from my childhood, Stairway must have been one of the first classic rock tracks I've ever heard (along with Tull's Aqualung). But it's not just the nostalgia factor - the song is very epic and memorable and despite it's so overplayed, I still get my kicks out of it. There's something magical about the intro, its progress into the heavier parts and the solo. I guess the song mind sound dated now, but that has never been my problem. Supernaut is quite fine (I love the latin mid-section), but still somewhat pedestrian, even compared with other songs in Sabbath discography.

Misty Mountain Hop / Snowblind
This one was really easy - MMH is just mind-dumbingly repetitive rocker (they'd try pretty much the same with Trampled Underfoot, but at least that one had the funky edge which this one doesn't have - also, Plant sounds really obnoxious here), whereas Snowblind might be one of the finest tracks on 4. It's much more complex than it might seem, just like The Fugitive.

Going to California / Cornucopia
Another easy pick. You see, acoustic Zeppelin... is always a gamble. There are some awesome tracks (Gallows Pole, Bron-Yr-Aur), but very often it's just rather somewhat boring and melodiless (Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, the song at hand). I won't deny the song has its charm and I'm okay with it and wouldn't think of skipping it, but its three and half minutes subjectively feel like six. Cornucopia might be an updated take on Into the Void (not necessarily a better one, though), but wins this one quite easily.

When the Levee Breaks / Under the Sun
This one was probably the hardest pick, because both songs are pretty great, but Levee probably has more of an emotional value to me. Those run-ups in UTS are slightly annoying (nothing too bad, though), but it's still one of the best tracks on the album, but that Bonham groove on the former is just killer and the chorus, once the song gets there, is just so cathartic and catchy.

While Sabbath almost made a comeback, Zeppelin still came out on top.

And with that round, every album in the game has been introduced with half of those being eliminated. 5 remain, however, there is only room for 4 in the final rounds. Before we move on to the Final Four, one album still needs to be eliminated. Sheer Heart Attack and Paranoid are safe, having won their rounds by more than 1 song. The three albums that won by slim 4 - 3 margins are now on the chopping block. Vote for your least favorite one.

Gotta go with Led Zeppelin. Not because it's bad, but I prefer the other two by a considerable amount.

Also voting for In Rock. While I definitely prefer most Deep Purple to any Zeppelin or Tull, the good songs on the latter two albums are just so much more interesting and challenging than any of the former's quality blues rock.

Didn’t make the time for a song-to-song breakdown for the 4s.
But I have to say up front that the consensus Zep criticisms aren’t shared by me: I like Robert Plant’s vocals and I like repetitive blues riffs sped up and turned up.

With that out of the way, Zep is the clear winner: it’s more memorable, it’s just as varied from track to track, every song works on its own terms, and surprisingly, I find it heavier. Two songs worthy of particular notice: the build of Stairway remains at the pinnacle of compositional drama for rock songs; and Battle of Evermore is ethereal and just “other.”

Volume 4 is often pointed to as the unsung gem of the Ozzy albums, and I get that. It really has a hip stoner rock vibe to it that I can see calling to people. To me, it’s pleasant pretty much from start to finish, but it also sounds like it was recorded between bong hits and bowls of cheezies. Somebody needed to smack them upside the head and remind them that they are the heralds of the apocalypse, not Bill and Ted’s next adventure.

Don’t worry LC the glam metal essentials game will come soon enough!

Back