Member's favorite song of the day

Gamma Ray - Rebellion in Dreamland.  The song is so awesomely progressive and there are many subtle time changes.  It changes from one riff to another and you barely notice; you just suddenly think "Woah, when did this riff start?"

Invader said:
Gamma Ray - Rebellion in Dreamland.  The song is so awesomely progressive and there are many subtle time changes.  It changes from one riff to another and you barely notice; you just suddenly think "Woah, when did this riff start?"

One of my favourite songs.  I love it when the final heavy riff comes in at 5:30, I go ballistic every time.  If they don't play it at the concert I go to, I'm going to personally punch Kai in the face, then say sorry and ask for his autograph.

I've seen it live at my first gig, but I didn't even listen to Gamma Ray then (they were on tour with Helloween which was the reason I was at the gig).  Such a shame, it would have been twice as enjoyable if I had known the band then.

Invader said:
I've seen it live at my first gig, but I didn't even listen to Gamma Ray then (they were on tour with Helloween which was the reason I was at the gig).  Such a shame, it would have been twice as enjoyable if I had known the band then.

Well I'm actually going more for Gamma Ray than Hellloween.  I only really like Helloween's first 2 albums and selectively past that, whereas I really like most of Gamma Ray's discography.

Come to think of it, I prefer Gamma Ray to Helloween too. And that although Helloween is a great band.

I also find myself listening to Gamma Ray more than Helloween, but Helloween has more nostalgic value for me as I've been listening to them longer and when I saw the two live, I knew Helloween's songs but not Gamma Ray's.

I haven't sat down to selectively listen to either band yet, but I've not yet heard a song by either band that I absolutely didn't care for.

Invader said:
I also find myself listening to Gamma Ray more than Helloween, but Helloween has more nostalgic value for me as I've been listening to them longer and when I saw the two live, I knew Helloween's songs but not Gamma Ray's.

Personally, I think that Kai was the only thing that elevated Helloween above your average power metal band.  If you even compare the two Keeper albums, the first one is much stronger because it is all (well, all the good songs) written by Kai.  Then you look at the second Keeper album, to me the only songs of any worth are the Hansen ones plus the lonely "Eagle Fly Free".

And then, look at what happened after Kai left.

Also, even though the first 3 Gamma Ray albums were a bit uneven in quality, since the departure of Scheepers there has been nothing but excellence from Gamma Ray, a consistency that Helloween can never even come close to matching.

GuineaPig said:
since the departure of Scheepers there has been nothing but excellence from Gamma Ray, a consistency that Helloween can never even come close to matching.

I disagree very much with the term excellence. I like the last album but the one before that was a big failure. Recycled, uninspired songs. No wonder there was a big break after that. I bet that some batteries had to be recharged.

The last really excellent album by Gamma Ray album is imo Powerplant. All albums that came afterwards I find worse.

Helloween's problem is that on the last three albums there are always worse songs on it. This goes for most bands but I rather see Helloween go for the quality instead of the quantity (stop those double albums and delete the crap tracks).

My Dying Bride - "The Whore, the Cook and the Mother"

I belong to the very small group of people who think 34.788... Complete is the best album MDB ever did. While most of its tracks are great, this is probably the really outstanding one. Perfect combination of doom riffs, ambience and electronic wizardry.

Shadow said:
My Dying Bride - "The Whore, the Cook and the Mother"

I belong to the very small group of people who think 34.788... Complete is the best album MDB ever did. While most of its tracks are great, this is probably the really outstanding one. Perfect combination of doom riffs, ambience and electronic wizardry.

The best album? The music on that record stands the furthest from the typical MDB trademark sound so I wonder if you're having a hard time with appreciating the other albums.

Anyway, good to see someone else into MDB, a band which seems underrated on this forum, at least in my eyes.

The X Factor as a whole thing. Oddly enough with The Unbeliever as especial favorite.

Forostar said:
The best album? The music on that record stands the furthest from the typical MDB trademark sound so I wonder if you're having a hard time with appreciating the other albums.

Both yes and no. It depends very much on my mood. I think most of their other stuff is great (especially The Dreadful Hours for some reason), but I like the way 34.788... Complete mixes the doom riffs up with electronic influences, almost moving into Nine Inch Nails territory with "Heroin Chic". It adds a different dimension to it. Maybe the difference between me and the average MDB fan is my love of stuff like Tangerine Dream and Porcupine Tree, the latter being a good example of electronica-influenced rock.

Still, it's a band I'm getting into more and more, so maybe my opinions will change.

I saw Shadow and I remembered one funny Zappa song, and my best of the day

ladies and gens, Bobby Brown
enjoy! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2K_Cj5Qkf ... re=related

Hey there, people, Im bobby brown
They say Im the cutest boy in town
My car is fast, my teeth is shiney
I tell all the girls they can kiss my heinie
Here I am at a famous school
Im dressin sharp n im
Actin cool
I got a cheerleader here wants to help with my paper
Let her do all the work n maybe later Ill rape her

Oh God I am the american dream
I do not think Im too extreme
An Im a handsome sonofabitch
Im gonna get a good job n be real rich

(get a good
Get a good
Get a good
Get a good job)

Womens liberation
Came creepin across the nation
I tell you people I was not ready
When I fucked this dyke by the name of freddie
She made a little speech then,
Aw, she tried to make me say when
She had my balls in a vice, but she left the dick
I guess its still hooked on, but now it shoots too quick

But now I smell like vaseline
An Im a miserable sonofabitch
Am I a boy or a lady...i dont know which

(I wonder wonder
Wonder wonder)

So I went out n bought me a leisure suit
I jingle my change, but Im still kinda cute
Got a job doin radio promo
An none of the jocks can even tell Im a homo
Eventually me n a friend
Sorta drifted along into s&m
I can take about an hour on the tower of power
long as I gets a little golden shower

With a spindle up my butt till it makes me scream
An Ill do anything to get ahead
I lay awake nights sayin, thank you, fred!
Oh god, oh god, Im so fantastic!
Thanks to freddie, Im a sexual spastic
And my name is bobby brown
Watch me now, Im goin down,
And my name is bobby brown
Watch me now, Im goin down

A good song that I listened to yesterday and totally forgot how good the album it cam from was - All is Forgiven by Trouble from the album Trouble. Another good song from that album is The Misery Shows.

And check out the lead guitarist with the flying V - a Derek Smalls clone if there ever was one. :D

The last few days, I have really loved listening to 'Stand' by Candlebox.  I don't know what it is, but I really like that tune.  Its just hard enough, and just fun enough to get me rockin'.

Circle II Circle - Psycho Motor

Don't know what it is about Circle II Circle, they are a pretty normal metal band, but they are exceptional at being a normal band.  If that makes sense.

LooseCannon said:
Circle II Circle - Psycho Motor

Don't know what it is about Circle II Circle, they are a pretty normal metal band, but they are exceptional at being a normal band.  If that makes sense.

I think I see what you mean

cover_344620722008.jpg

Simple Sister, from Broken Barricades, 1971 the last album of Procol Harum with R.Trower on guitar
AWESOME as everything with Robin inside

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ubLXsvEfGYw

the heaviest Harum's album

Back