Megadeth

Countdown is in my opinion the best album they had made back then.
Yes, but you hold the best Megadeth albums in contempt when the vast majority of Metal fans adore them.
Wiz needs to go back to school. Almost every review I've seen of CtE cites it as a highlight.
I have been listening to Megadeth for a long time. I know these albums well. You will find few reviews of 'Countdown to Extinction' which put it above 'Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?' and 'Rust in Peace'. It certainly has its highlights and I would rank it fairly highly in Megadeth's discography but it is flawed and is not their outstanding album.

I have been listening to Megadeth for a long time. I know these albums well. You will find few reviews of 'Countdown to Extinction' which put it above 'Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?' and 'Rust in Peace'. It certainly has its highlights and I would rank it fairly highly in Megadeth's discography but it is flawed and is not their outstanding album.
I meant that "Ashes" was one of its best songs, not the album being one of their best.

It's not on the original mix CD that I have had for years, was it on the original vinyl?
Are you saying the song isn’t on it, or that it’s on it but bleeped?

I have the original CD released by Relativity in 1985 and it’s on there and unmolested.

I have the original vinyl (somewhere :D), definitely no bleeps, and I didn't even know they were added :facepalm:

Are you saying the song isn’t on it, or that it’s on it but bleeped?

I have the original CD released by Relativity in 1985 and it’s on there and unmolested.

Not on it at all, there's only 7 tracks, it's on Century Media, I've no idea when it came out, but I only picked it up maybe 15 years ago

but the trio of 'Cryptic Writings', 'Risk' and 'The World Needs a Hero' has to be one of the weakest sequences of albums by any Metal band. Leave those until last.

I'm pretty sure @MrKnickerbocker and I had a good discussion in the old Megadeth thread about these albums. Personally I really like that era of Megadeth, but the albums are more geared towards rock than metal. I don't know if @CriedWhenBrucieLeft would like that. But songwriting wise, those three albums are really, really good IMO It's basically Megadeth trimming their sound and focusing on hooks, structure and delivery.

Last edited:
So, I only have Megadeth albums up to Youthanasia. Have heard enough (here & there) of Megadeth to know I will enjoy listening to later releases in more detail & now seems as good a time as any to start. I'll be buying physical (CDs): any suggestions of where to start or anything to avoid? e.g. maybe leaving anything totally crud to last; and views on remastered catalogue (good/bad).

Honestly, just moving on to Cryptic Writing whích is the next in line from Youthanasia might not be a bad idea. It's a lot more rock influenced but still by the same lineup that did Youthanasia and the last to feature Nick Menza on drums, and while not as thrashy it still has some good songs. Other than that I wouuld perhaps say try out their latest, Dystopia.

Last edited:
Also, the production and sound aside, there's a lot of songs from Cryptic Writings that wouldn't feel or sound out of place on Youthanasia....Youthanasia wasn't exactly an album devoid of catchy hooks either....

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure @MrKnickerbocker and I had a good discussion in the old Megadeth thread about these albums. Personally I really like that era of Megadeth, but the albums are more geared towards rock than metal. I don't know if @CriedWhenBrucieLeft would like that. But songwriting wise, those three albums are really, really good IMO It's basically Megadeth trimming their sound and focusing on hooks, structure and delivery.

Indeed! The World Needs a Hero is the weakest by far, but the good songs are still really well crafted for pop sensibilities. Cryptic and Risk have some melodic hooks that are way better than they deserve to be coming from Megadeth.

Have listened through So Far, So Good... So What! twice now, and it gets better with listens but it does have the worst songs in the Megadeth catalogue so far. Kind of a mixed release.

Oh yeah, it definitely has good songs, and I think I like it more than the debut overall. I think. I dunno. My average score may end up below it. Like I said, mixed release.

I honestly don't get the criticism. Sure Megadave is rambling on in terms of lyrics; but I love the original mix, love the riffs, and it has tons of cool soloing (altho' maybe not solos, singular). I love Peace Sells, but I actually enjoy listening to pretty much everything on SFSGSW. I learned most of this on guitar back in the day, so maybe I have a soft spot for it or something...

Back