Mastodon

no need to listen to the original again.
You're crazy. I think it's a great cover but certainly not better than the original. That song had a charm unique to its own and no matter how many covers there are of it, no matter how many times it's played, that charm never diminishes for me. It is certainly one of classic rock's greatest songs. This cover, like I said, it's great, but it doesn't do enough as a cover and lives in the shadow of the original.

Robert Plant letting loose at the ending of the original alone is better than everything on Mastodon's cover. The vocals there are just too... clean I guess for me.

Surprised how faithful to the original it is. Awesome vocals in the first half, but they're missing something in the second half. Not sure I'd pick it over the original, overplayed as it is, it's legendary for a reason, but still a good take.

I've heard Leviathan and "Show Yourself".
Immediately turn on Crack the Skye & Emperor of Sand. You will listen to Mastodon and you will like it!!!!
Show Yourself is one of their worst songs
As a stand-alone track it's not very good, though it fits the album really well. It also kills live. There's worse songs too. Half of The Hunter is pretty bad, so is most of the first album.

Plant is a horrible singer though. All 3 Mastodon vocalists are way better. Brann is also a better drummer than Bonham was.

Plant is a horrible singer though. All 3 Mastodon vocalists are way better. Brann is also a better drummer than Bonham was.
Agree mostly. I think Plant is a great singer, better than those three. But Brann is way better than Bonham!!! It's not even close.

Plant is a horrible singer though. All 3 Mastodon vocalists are way better.

Nonsense. Brann is probably the only member of Mastodon who can actually sing and he's miles off Robert Plant.

Brann is also a better drummer than Bonham was.

Technical ability is not everything, but I can't really comment on this because I don't pay enough attention to drums.

Immediately turn on Crack the Skye & Emperor of Sand. You will listen to Mastodon and you will like it!!!!

As a stand-alone track it's not very good, though it fits the album really well. It also kills live. There's worse songs too. Half of The Hunter is pretty bad, so is most of the first album.
I actually really like the Hunter.

Leviathan, Sand and Skye are better though.

Well I'm not saying this guy is better than that guy, I'm talking about this particular cover. It just sounds too flat, there's no drama and urgency, and you can hear it best and most immediately in vocals and drums. Moreover, they went for the original sound and feel instead of trying to make it in their own style (unlike the already mentioned Tool's cover of NoQuarter, which is a fine example of taking a song and making it yours). Its just too... "štreberski" (don't know the right term in english but NP will understand)

It just sounds too flat, there's no drama and urgency, and you can hear it best and most immediately in vocals and drums. Moreover, they went for the original sound and feel instead of trying to make it in their own style.

I get this. When I first heard they were covering this song I couldn't see how it was supposed to work. I couldn't get my head around hearing "Stairway" in Mastodon's style so I thought it probably would be better if they stuck to the original, but now I've heard it I wish they had done something different. It's a good take, but there's nothing about it that makes me want to hear it again.

That cover is super interesting, but I mostly think the vocal production during the intro sound like what would happen if Mikael Akerfeldt recorded this song.

Back