Mastodon

I saw them last week in Paris, and they were great, although I was really disappointed not to see Scott Kelly again. They had two opening acts : I loved Mutoid Man (what a fantastic band!), but I don't get the enthousiasm around Kvelertak - the most boring concert I've ever seen I think.

Honestly, I didn't understand anything of their show. The singer (he is a new guy apparently) arrived onstage with a bottle of beer, fell several times, jumped repeatedly into the crowd, the bassist kept spitting all over the place, and their music is just a succession of basic rock riffs. When one is more interesting, it is repeated over and over (see the the intro of Apenbaring). But the audience loved them, while they didn't react to Mutoid Man who are way better.

Honestly, I didn't understand anything of their show. The singer (he is a new guy apparently) arrived onstage with a bottle of beer, fell several times, jumped repeatedly into the crowd, the bassist kept spitting all over the place, and their music is just a succession of basic rock riffs. When one is more interesting, it is repeated over and over (see the the intro of Apenbaring). But the audience loved them, while they didn't react to Mutoid Man who are way better.

I had forgotten they have a new singer now. If you didn't like the songs I can understand why you didn't like them, most people I knew hated their stuff

In early September 2018, we lost one of our closest friends and our biggest fan, our manager Nick John. He was essentially the band’s Dad. From our highest highs to our lowest lows he was always there. Every single move we made went through him first as our trust in him was marrow deep. His favorite band besides us and Gojira, was Led Zeppelin. We were asked to perform “Stairway to Heaven” at his funeral. Afterward, finding out that someone had recorded it, we figured we should record a studio version and release it on Record Store Day as a tribute to Nick with all the proceeds to be donated to pancreatic cancer research. We would not be the band we are today without the help of Nick John. We miss him dearly and think of him always. We love you buddy.

The limited edition 10-inch vinyl features the Studio Version on Side A and a Live Version on Side B. It will be available in participating independent retailers on Saturday, April 13, 2019.

All of the proceeds benefit the Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research.

52819956_10157225065012948_2658896472065441792_n.jpg

Can't wait, this should be awesome.

I don't know, I just can imagine it. The song doesn't really fit their style, there are probably several Zeppelin songs which would suit them perfectly. Morseso, I'm not saying Stairway is holy deity that shouldn't be touched, but there is reason why it isn't covered that much.
But again, it's for a good cause, so it's a thumb up.

Didn't know we had a Mastodon thread here.

Myself I am hooked-as-fuck into Leviathan, but so far the rest of the Mastodons stuff I have listened to did not click that much. It made me read Moby Dick, which I am now glad I did, but it was a linguistic challenge.

I am sure their material is mostly growers, (except for the Blood And Thunder that I knew way back from NFS: Most Wanted and liked immediately) so I guess it just needs time.

But Leviathan for me was one of the most surprising things that grew on me immensely. Ending riff of Seabeast is pure exctasy, the fast running parts in Iron Tusk and Megalodon just make me silly-headbang in public, who cares. What makes the album for me is that it just feels like a pile of nonsense, a huge mess, but when you give it time it just clicks and becomes this strange familiar GOODNESS, and then you realize you would not want it any other way. It feels like a drunk alchemist was fiddling with random potions and created an elixir of immortality. And the drums man, oh the drums .. like cobblestones raining on the roof of the airport hall, disorganised, rude and obscene, but sweet as hell.
Leviathan is one of the very few musical pieces that are able to overthrow my morning zombie state (sometimes I wake up feeling worse than death), and when my mood is good and I listen to it, it makes me believe I would take on Genghis Khan's armies. The power of the whale, man.

Surprised to read this album is ranked somewhat low here, but what the hell. If the rest of their catalogue grows on me with time, it's only for the good.

Didn't know we had a Mastodon thread here.

Myself I am hooked-as-fuck into Leviathan, but so far the rest of the Mastodons stuff I have listened to did not click that much. It made me read Moby Dick, which I am now glad I did, but it was a linguistic challenge.

I am sure their material is mostly growers, (except for the Blood And Thunder that I knew way back from NFS: Most Wanted and liked immediately) so I guess it just needs time.

But Leviathan for me was one of the most surprising things that grew on me immensely. Ending riff of Seabeast is pure exctasy, the fast running parts in Iron Tusk and Megalodon just make me silly-headbang in public, who cares. What makes the album for me is that it just feels like a pile of nonsense, a huge mess, but when you give it time it just clicks and becomes this strange familiar GOODNESS, and then you realize you would not want it any other way. It feels like a drunk alchemist was fiddling with random potions and created an elixir of immortality. And the drums man, oh the drums .. like cobblestones raining on the roof of the airport hall, disorganised, rude and obscene, but sweet as hell.
Leviathan is one of the very few musical pieces that are able to overthrow my morning zombie state (sometimes I wake up feeling worse than death), and when my mood is good and I listen to it, it makes me believe I would take on Genghis Khan's armies. The power of the whale, man.

Surprised to read this album is ranked somewhat low here, but what the hell. If the rest of their catalogue grows on me with time, it's only for the good.
If you think Leviathan is good, just wait till you hear The Call Of The Wretched Sea.

:ninja:

I still didn't dig deep enough into first few albums. I found out about them when The Hunter came out and fell in love with that album. Once more 'round the sun was a bit dissapointment when it came out so I started to hook upon Crack the Skye. Emperor of Sand was on constant rotation whole year when it came out and after I saw them live, only then I started to appreciate Once more 'round the Sun. I listen a lot to Blood Mountain before I saw them live but nothing really stuck except those couple ones that they played live. Still haven't listen to Leviathan.

I still didn't dig deep enough into first few albums. I found out about them when The Hunter came out and fell in love with that album. Once more 'round the sun was a bit dissapointment when it came out so I started to hook upon Crack the Skye. Emperor of Sand was on constant rotation whole year when it came out and after I saw them live, only then I started to appreciate Once more 'round the Sun. I listen a lot to Blood Mountain before I saw them live but nothing really stuck except those couple ones that they played live. Still haven't listen to Leviathan.
I’m not as big into Blood Mountain as most people are. Still there are some great songs. Leviathan is one of their best albums. You should definitely check that out. Here’s how I would rank them ...
1. Crack the Skye
2. Emperor of Sand
3. Leviathan
4. Once More Round the Sun
5. Blood Mountain
6. The Hunter
7. Remission

I’m not as big into Blood Mountain as most people are. Still there are some great songs. Leviathan is one of their best albums. You should definitely check that out. Here’s how I would rank them ...
1. Crack the Skye
2. Emperor of Sand
3. Leviathan
4. Once More Round the Sun
5. Blood Mountain
6. The Hunter
7. Remission

Forgot about Remission. I think the main reason why I'm not drawn into their earlier albums is that muddy production of the guitars. I don't have time anymore to listen it on my system at home so everything sounds a bit crunchier than usual.

I don't know, I just can imagine it. The song doesn't really fit their style, there are probably several Zeppelin songs which would suit them perfectly. Morseso, I'm not saying Stairway is holy deity that shouldn't be touched, but there is reason why it isn't covered that much.
But again, it's for a good cause, so it's a thumb up.
I personally can't wait for it, I think it totally does suit their style. Hope it's a Brent-Brann duet. Then I won't have to listen to the original again.

Honestly, I also don't see it, though I'm curious. Now if they covered No Quarter, that'd be the dog's bollocks... that main riff really asks for a sludgy remake. Or, at least, more stoner-metallic one.

Honestly, I also don't see it, though I'm curious. Now if they covered No Quarter, that'd be the dog's bollocks... that main riff really asks for a sludgy remake. Or, at least, more stoner-metallic one.
You should listen to Tool’s cover then.

I think Stairway is a good song for them to cover, it would be pretty similar in style to the songs on Cold Dark Place.

Stairway To Heaven

Awesome cover, no need to listen to the original again. The recording is bad on this link as it's a vinyl rip, but it'll be released digitally in May so there'll be a proper rip without cuts then. I do wish Brent sang it instead, especially the heavy part at the end.

Back