Martin Birch - the master

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_Stones_Mobile

wiki has NPFTD as the last album recorded on it, and going by that list it was the first time it had been used in 5 years. Although I don't know if that list is complete or just a selection of albums.

EDIT: D'oh! it clearly says that it's notable albums, so only a selection rather than a complete list

The link I posted above (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stones-mobile-studio/) mentions some of the things it was used for after NPFTD.

The “Mighty Mobile,” as the Stones called it, was retired in 1993 after a final recording by Chris Jagger – Mick’s brother – and his band Atcha! “Around 1992 the truck was bought at auction by an American production company called Loho Studios,” says Tawkin. “It was shipped to New York. Loho made the RSM available for hire around New York City. Most notably it did a short residency at the famous punk bar CBGB’s. Here it recorded live shows from some of New York City’s most infamous hardcore bands such as the Ramones, Patti Smith and others.

Here's his full engineer/producer credits:

Deep Purple:
Deep Purple In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made in Japan, Who Do we Think we Are?, Burn, Stormbringer, Made in Europe, Come Taste the Band, Last Concert in Japan

Jon Lord: Gemini Suite, Sarabande, First of the big bangs, Malice in Wonderland

Black Sabbath: Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules

Rainbow: Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow, Rising, On Stage, Long Live Rock and Roll

Whitesnake: Lovehunter, Ready an’ Willing, Live in the Heart of the City, Come an’ Get it, Saints an’ Sinners, Slide it In

Blue Oyster Cult: Cultosaurus Erectus, Fire of Unknown Origin

Michael Schenker Group: Assault Attack

Iron Maiden: Killers, The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, etc etc etc.

Wishbone Ash: Wishbone Ash, Pilgrimage, Argus

Fleetwood Mac: Then Play On, Kiln House, Bare Trees ,Penguin, Mystery to Me

Any others?

Last edited:
And some of his nick names on album credits:
Black Night, Sir Larry, Basher, Big Ears, Court Jester, Doc, The Farmer, The Wasp, Headmaster, Jah, Live Animal, Masa, Mummy’s Curse, Plan B, Pool Bully, The Bishop, The Juggler, The Ninja, Phantom of the Jolly Cricketers, Disappearing Armchair.

I think Fear sounds way better than No Prayer production wise.

Fair game, I disagree alone then.
In the case of No Prayer... it meant recording the record under extremely difficult circumstances, including sessions being held in a barn in Steve Harris’ backyard. That "studio" was upgraded for Fear..., but by then Harris had dipped his toes in.
Birch since retired at 42!!!!
Too bad Steve learned what seems to be very little from Birch, going by his production credits since.

Here's his full enginneer/producer credits:

Deep Purple:
Deep Purple In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made in Japan, Who Do we Think we Are?, Burn, Stormbringer, Made in Europe, Come Taste the Band, Last Concert in Japan

Black Sabbath: Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules

Rainbow: Ritchie Blackmore’s Rainbow, Rising, On Stage, Long Live Rock and Roll

Whitesnake: Lovehunter, Ready an’ Willing, Live in the Heart of the City, Come an’ Get it, Saints an’ Sinners, Slide it In

Blue Oyster Cult: Cultosaurus Erectus, Fire of Unknown Origin

Michael Schenker Group: Assault Attack

Iron Maiden: Killers, The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Powerslave, etc etc etc.

Wishbone Ash: Wishbone Ash, Pilgrimage, Argus

Any others?

Many more, including Fleetwood Mac, Jon Lord and many others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Birch

I'm amazed how under the radar Birch seems to be as an acknowlegded producer.
Thanks for the video but is your comment ironic? He had been in demand non-stop since the early 70s. And he was already "semi-retired" at the time of Fear of the Dark.

I really hate the production on SIT, the vocals sound distant and the whole album sounds over produced.
The production on FOTD wasn't good,
And I would have thought the producer should have picked up the bad timing issues on the intro to Hallowed be thy name.

I really liked the production of Powerslave though.

Thanks for the video but is your comment ironic? He had been in demand non-stop since the early 70s. And he was already "semi-retired" at the time of Fear of the Dark.
I mean in today's view, there are hardly any interviews to be found with him, though there are some articles around. He just seems to be forgotten about, buddy except in Purple and Maiden fans minds.

I really hate the production on SIT, the vocals sound distant and the whole album sounds over produced.
And I would have thought the producer should have picked up the bad timing issues on the intro to Hallowed be thy name.

The reverb gloss of SIT perfectly captures the sci fi vibe of the album. Love the production on that one. Though I can see why others might not jive with it.

I think he did wonders with that shitty sound, made the best of it
Even more so on SSOASS

Maiden: Killers (way ahead of its time and IMO way ahead of the next 3 studio albums), Live After Death (this how a live album should sound like), Somewhere In Time (unique and gracefull incorporation of synths) and Seventh Son (top notch overall quality). These are my 4 picks for distinct reasons. No Prayer and FOTD are also great but came in a time great productions were already abumdant.
Others: Mob Rules has all that heavyness while remaining bright. Superb.

....:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

The reverb gloss of SIT perfectly captures the sci fi vibe of the album.

That's exactly the point. Would Birch use the same mixing method he did in Killers (his previous best production and one of his best ever) the result would be something like Priest's Turbo where the synths don't mingle with the rest. By softening the rest of the instruments and giving a little harshness to the synth parts it all fits perfectly.

Maiden: Killers (way ahead of its time and IMO way ahead of the next 3 studio albums), Live After Death (this how a live album should sound like), Somewhere In Time (unique and gracefull incorporation of synths) and Seventh Son (top notch overall quality). These are my 4 picks for distinct reasons. No Prayer and FOTD are also great but came in a time great productions were already abumdant.
Others: Mob Rules has all that heavyness while remaining bright. Superb.

Excellent, no, EXCELLENT first choice there, buddy.
The other three are, well, very good thanks to Martin's work. No Prayer and Fear was when 'Arry the fairy thought he could domas well as Martin, but in the end failed miserably.

Back