Manic Street Preachers

I saw the Manic Street Preachers and Suede at Cardiff Castle (what a beautiful venue for concerts) with my family last Saturday and we had a blast.

Suede went on stage first and played a nice set, with Brett Anderson oozing charisma and spending quite some time singing with the fans on the front row. A superb frontman.

The night belonged to the Manics though, with the show being a home turf one. From the opener, You Love Us, to the final song, If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next, we were treated to a superb show mixing the hits from the 90s with some more recent material and even one song off the maligned Lifeblood.

The weather held off for most of the gig, but it started raining heavily during the final songs (heavens opened during Tsunami! :lol:). After finishing playing the last song on the setlist, a very wet James Dean Bradfield (we were all drenched) stayed on stage and played a snippet of Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head. :lol:

Can’t wait to see them again in London next week!

Last edited:
Visiting Cardiff Castle before the gig I noticed the following poster in the reception area. :)

IMG_3110.jpeg

Also, we enjoyed part of the soundcheck from the Manics while we were there.

Last edited:
Tremendous show by the Manics at the Ally Pally Park in London. Two setlist changes from the gig I saw 12 days ago in Cardiff: a beautiful and poignant version of This is Yesterday (instead of Suicide is Painless) and No Surface All Feeling (with Spirit of Radio from Rush as intro and a bit of Today from Smashing Pumpkins at the end) instead of Tsunami.

Last edited:

Just reminds me, I'm probably selling snow to Eskimos here, but you should definitely check out Midnight Oil if you haven't yet - another post-punk band with some serious chops, untrivial catchiness in their songs, great talent overall and unceasing, relentless pushing of lefty politics everywhere ("This next song is for Henry Kissinger who got the Nobel peace prize for bombing the living daylights out of Cambodia.”) Foro also used to be a huge fan around here, but he doesn't come around here too much lately, so I'm taking over :D I was actually reminded of the Oils several times while listening to some of MSP's records (The Holy Bible, definitely).

Last edited:
Just reminds me, I'm probably selling snow to Eskimos here, but you should definitely check out Midnight Oil if you haven't yet - another post-punk band with some serious chops, untrivial catchiness in their songs, great talent overall and unceasing, relentless pushing of lefty politics everywhere ("This next song is for Henry Kissinger who got the Nobel peace prize for bombing the living daylights out of Cambodia.”) Foro also used to be a huge fan around here, but he doesn't come around here too much lately, so I'm taking over :D I was actually reminded of the Oils several times while listening to some of MSP's records (The Holy Bible, definitely).

Thanks for the recommendation. I have listened to some Midnight Oil in the past but it seems they deserve me to delve deeper.

I got in the car this evening to get petrol and they were playing at Radio 2 in the Park. As soon as I switched the car on, Your Love Alone… kicked in. It is still probably one of my favourite songs ever. I just love it.

I got in the car this evening to get petrol and they were playing at Radio 2 in the Park. As soon as I switched the car on, Your Love Alone… kicked in. It is still probably one of my favourite songs ever. I just love it.

Some highlights from yesterday's gig:

The whole set (45 minutes of greatest hits and the new song Decline & Fall):

Back