Maiden's future (albums/touring)

So they only could screw up 1000 suns once and decide not to play it again?
And Paschendale would alternate with Dance of Death every 5 shows right?

They alternated between Paschendale and Dance of Death a few shows into the tour, then settled on Dance of Death. Paschendale wasn't played at all on the European leg of the tour.

Album tracklist chronicling the life of Eddie:

1. The Mohawk Years
2. Slaughter in the Streets
3. Scream at the Devil
4. Don't Lose 'Yer 'Ed
5. Entombed with the Pharoah
6. Sands of Time
7. I Am the Real Seventh Son!
8. Don't Pray On Me
9. The Darkness (Charlotte's Lament)
10. Faces Over London
11. Dance of Pixelation
12. Wartime Memories
13. Eddie in Space!

...this sounds like a bad idea to you?

Album tracklist chronicling the life of Eddie:

1. The Mohawk Years
2. Slaughter in the Streets
3. Scream at the Devil
4. Don't Lose 'Yer 'Ed
5. Entombed with the Pharoah
6. Sands of Time
7. I Am the Real Seventh Son!
8. Don't Pray On Me
9. The Darkness (Charlotte's Lament)
10. Faces Over London
11. Dance of Pixelation
12. Wartime Memories
13. Eddie in Space!

...this sounds like a bad idea to you?

Why skip the Blazies?

-Torn in Half and 3D
-Soccer and Virtual Reality Goggles!

I'd like their next album would be a tribute to their seventh member , Mr. Edward the Head (Michael Kenney doesn't count lol).
That's an interesting idea but I wouldn't actually like to see it in the next few years and this is why: everything about Eddie up to now has been deliberately kept ambiguous/mysterious so if they were going to finally close the book on him and explain everything they would probably save it for the last ever album. Especially if it was going to be a concept album linking all the previous albums together, because that wouldn't really leave them anywhere to go afterwards. But it would probably make a fitting conclusion to their remarkable career though, if they got it right. I just don't want that to happen anytime soon.

Michael Kenney has definitely been Eddie at least once (ie in the video for Women in Uniform). So maybe he's not as innumerate as you think?:) Actually I thought the seventh member of Maiden was Rod Smallwood.

There might be be something mysterious going on with the Breeg character in relation to Eddie, or with other post-Riggs Eddies.

But in the Riggs years I do not think there is anything mysterious about Eddie. It's just a reused character. A mascot. A trademark. Linked to the subjects of the lyrics. There are links in between different Eddies, and he has changed gradually in the Riggs years, and all this (and more details) is explained in his book. I can't imagine he was told to keep a secret on Eddie.

If they would do such an album and would tell us a secret about Eddie in the Riggs years, then I feel it would be made up on the spot (fake).

Last edited:
If they would do such an album and would tell us a secret about Eddie in the Riggs years, then I feel it would be made up on the spot (fake).

Yeah, that's the real truth of it. There is no story to Eddie. Everything about Eddie exists in the album covers and onstage. So them making an album out of it, as interesting as it sounds, would be entirely new material based on nothing but their own album covers...which is just a little too self-referential.

It wouldn't be too bad if they made another concept album and then made an Eddie(s) to sorta go with the concept, like with SSOASS, but not the other way around.

Well yes exactly. Eddie has been used to symbolise various things - song themes, album themes and the band as a whole (didn't he win an award for being iconic or something in 2008?) - while always stopping short of becoming an actual solid character. He's a much more fluid concept. But as he kept reappearing he became a character in people's minds that went beyond what actually existed in the sleeve art and his onstage persona (as illustrated by the list of questions drawn up by Rotam), and I think they played on that a bit, more as it developed. Theoretically I think it would be possible for them to do a concept album that uses Eddie or something that Eddie symbolises as the connecting thread, but if they did then I'm guessing they would approach it from a fairly oblique angle so it wouldn't be obvious that that was what they were doing. A set of songs about a character called Eddie would probably be pretty cheesy.

I also suspect that the development of Eddie has more to do with Derek Riggs than Maiden. The nearest we got to a story about Eddie was probably the pictures in the back of the CD booklet for Final Frontier.

Check out the Twilight Zone cover art. If you look at the picture on the desk, you can just about make out a dedication that, I guess, tells you something about the relationship between Eddie and Charlotte.

02killers02.jpg

Check out the Twilight Zone cover art.
I'd heard about that but hadn't up to now been able to find a copy big enough to read the writing on the picture - thanks for posting! Also I'd never noticed the tear on her cheek before (although I could make out that she's holding a "Death" tarot card).

I think this is quite a good example of Eddie being used to symbolise something though - it's not necessary to the interpretation that the song's protagonist is actually supposed to be Eddie.

Back