Maiden Trivia Of The Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
MAIDEN TRIVIA OF THE DAY

Our journey in Maiden’s life thru the years starts with a very special occasion, ‘cause today, 41 years ago, Mr. Tony Parsons played his first 3 songs with the band at the Ruskin Arms, in East Ham. This was also the only time that Paul Di’Anno played on this date while fronting Maiden.

Bruce Dickinson’s first time singing with the band on this date was while Maiden was supporting Scorpions on their “Blackout” Tour. The concert was held in the BSU Pavilion in Boise.

Speaking about first times, the first time Maiden played a headlining concert on this date was in 1983, when they played at the Georges Vizina Centre in Chicoutimi.

1984, also saw Eddie & the boys rockin’ the stage on this date, this time in France at the Palais des Sports in Toulouse. Coincidentally, the next time that the band played on this date was also in France but in 1992, and it was also at a place called the Palais des Sports, but this time it was in Mulhouse.

While Blaze Bayle was fronting the band, he also played on this date. The year was 1998 and the gig was held at the Cemil Topuzulu Open Air Theatre in Istanbul. Now, a particular thing happened at this concert because, if you know, ‘The Clairvoyant’ used to be part of the setlist during this time, however, for an unknown reason, the band decided not to play it on this occasion.

The last time Maiden has played on this date was 7 years ago, during the Maiden England World Tour. The gig was played at the Sprint Centre in Kansas City.

All the be(a)st my friends!

Remember that this trivia facts and much, much more can be found in the DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST which now you can buy in parts covering all the different eras of the band and with a very low price. Find it at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666September 7.jpg

September 14.jpg

Want you to sing for me…

Welcome! Welcome! Welcome! Hope you all had a great weekend and that are ready to tackle this week that is just beginning with a new installment of the Maiden Trivia Of The Day.

So, September 14, we’ve got some cool things to remember (tomorrow) today, for example, the great concert that took place 41 years ago at the Bandwagon Soundhouse in Kingsbury. This was the second gig that Geoff Barton of Sounds Magazine attended and reviewed. The review appeared on the October edition of Sounds magazine and you’ll be able to read it in my next book! Which brings me to remind you that you can already get my current book, DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST, which is now being sold in 4 parts with a very low price at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

Anyway, on this day, as you already probably know, was also the release of Maiden’s third EP, Maiden Japan. The show from which this comes from was recorded at the Kosei Nenkin Hall in Nagoya, Japan on May 23, 1981, and as a matter of fact, it was the last release with Paul Di’Anno on vocals until the band released the BBC ARCHIVES in 2003.

Oh, by the way on the Japanese sleeve it says, "Pray roud". Hahaha, Jeez! Pray roud! It doesn't take a degree in, in, in English science to work that one out, does it? Eh? Does it? What do you mean does it mean? PRAY ROUD! Right, that's enough of that. Anyway, by the way, Rod took all the photographs that we see in this here EP that got to number 43 on the charts.

Moving on, we find that the second time that Maiden played on this day, was at the Kiel Auditorium in St. Louis, while supporting Judas Priest on the “World Vengeance” Tour. This of course was in 1982.

The following year Maiden would also play on this date at the Metro Center in Minneapolis.

The next time that Eddie & the band would meet each other at a stage on this date was while on the first dates on the Somewhere On Tour. The concert was held in Donauinsel in Vienna.

1992, also saw Maiden performing on this date. This time it was in the Plaza de Toros Monumental (Monumental Bullring) in Barcelona, Spain.
Incredibly enough, the last time that Maiden performed on this day was just a year ago, at the Banc Of California Stadium in Los Angeles… Can you believe it? Can you believe your eyes?

All the be(a)st my Friends!

Oh, by the way on the Japanese sleeve it says, "Pray roud". Hahaha, Jeez! Pray roud! It doesn't take a degree in, in, in English science to work that one out, does it? Eh? Does it? What do you mean does it mean? PRAY ROUD! Right, that's enough of that. Anyway, by the way, Rod took all the photographs that we see in this here EP that got to number 43 on the charts.

I know Nicko says this on Listen with Nicko, but it's actually Live!! +one that has "Play Roud" (note that it's only loud spelled wrong) and it's only on some copies. I have two versions of it, one with "Play Roud" and one with it spelled correctly.

On the "last release with Paul Dianno on vocals, doesn't Best of the Beast count? Or does that not count because it was a compilation?

Best of the Beast is from 1996 and BBC Archives from 2003.
I think that was the intended message.
It says “last release with Di’Anno until BBC Archives”, which I take to mean “between BBC Archives and Maiden Japan, there were no official releases with Paul Di’Anno”.
But I could be reading that wrong.

You read and interpreted well what Luisma said. But that trivia is not correct (just like the Play Roud bit). Best of the Beast is an official release.

Last edited:
Man On The Edge Special.jpg

25 years ago Iron Maiden release their first single with vocalist Blaze Bayley – and their first studio single in three years – titled ‘Man On The Edge’. This single also marked Blaze's first song written for Maiden and was co-written with Janick Gers. The single was released in three formats: CD, CD Digi Pack & 12" Picture Disc, each one containing different artworks, the song ‘The Edge Of Darkness' written by Steve Harris and the real plus of each version of the single, a song that didn’t end up in The X Factor.

Now, as everybody knows, ‘Man On The Edge’ was based on the 1993 Joel Schumacher film Falling Down starring Michael Douglas and Robert Duvall, about a normal man who finally snaps under the stress, frustration, and absurdity of a big city life. What not a lot of people know is that there’s a slight difference between the version that can be heard on the album and the single version, this one being that at the end of the single version you can hear Nicko & Nigel.

Another curious thing about this song is that it has 3 different official videos, the one filmed for Top Of The Pops which was filmed in Masada, Israel, the promo video, filmed at the Monumental Studio Elstree, on August 1995, and the so-called “Fun” version composed with images of different old movies from Charles Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Laurel and Hardy and The Little Rascals… Not a lot of people know that you can see this video in the Visions Of The Beast DVD… All you have to do is play 3 times the video for ‘The Trooper’, yeah really!

‘The Edge Of Darkness’ curiously enough is also based on a movie, this time Apocalypse Now which was in turn based on the Joseph Conrad's (1857–1924) classic Heart Of Darkness & Michael Herr's Dispatches.

Another curious thing about the songs in this single is that ‘Judgement Day’ & ‘Justice Of The Peace’ were written for The X Factor but in the end “the band” decided to use them for a singles instead because they didn’t fit the mood of the album… In any case, in Japan, they went with what was the original idea for the album, which released it as a double album.

Wanna know more trivia facts about Maiden and all their catalog? DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST says it all! Get it at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

And the last trivia fact about this single that not a lot of people know is that the song ‘I Live My Way’ was the first song written for The X Factor and the idea behind it is similar to what inspired the song ‘Virus’, this being, that Maiden will always do what they want, hence the lines “Some people are only happy / When they can watch you fail / And to them every day is another coffin nail / I think that I've found the answer / I think that at last I know / We've only got one lifetime / So make your life your own”. This one, as we already know, was also used as a B-side because of the whole mood of the album and stuff…

I remember going straight from school to buy the picture disc on the day it was released, I didn't have a CD player in those days :lol: . Was impressed with it, MOTE was a great uptempo track, and The Edge of Darkness was great too, didn't have too strong feelings one way or the other about I Live My Way as far as I can remember.

I remember going straight from school to buy the picture disc on the day it was released, I didn't have a CD player in those days :lol: . Was impressed with it, MOTE was a great uptempo track, and The Edge of Darkness was great too, didn't have too strong feelings one way or the other about I Live My Way as far as I can remember.

I had a completely different experience with this track. I didn't know they had released so I was hearing a special rock radio show one Friday night and then the intro to Man On The Edge started, as soon as I heard I knew it was Maiden and then I heard the vocals (until then I haven't heard Blaze singing) and I was horrified! I couldn't understand why they had went with a guy that sounded so different than Bruce! But I did like the songs... Then when I got the single I actually like more the B-sides than 'Edge Of Darkness'

I didn´t buy the single but remember when The X Factor album was released. Same story as @srfc , straight from school to the HVH Megastore where I first listened to the intro´s and then offcourse bought it.

Another curious thing about the songs in this single is that ‘Judgement Day’ & ‘Justice Of The Peace’ were written for The X Factor but in the end “the band” decided to use them for a singles instead because they didn’t fit the mood of the album… In any case, in Japan, they went with what was the original idea for the album, which released it as a double album.
Hmm I would not call the Japanese version a double album. The album in Japan was released as the normal, regular album (11 tracks), with a bonus disc added, containing the tracks (only 3 tracks) that are b-sides on Man on the Edge releases (singles, picture discs).

Bonus songs, bonus discs, a very usual economical concept in Japan. Japan does that with lots of (if not all) foreign works to make it attractive to buy the albums in their own country.

I indeed do remember that the band felt that these 2 J songs were not less in quality. They were written with the album in mind, they were not written to be b-sides. But in the end they did decide against putting in on the album. So they were album candidates, but not original album tracks.
There were 11 album songs, no more.

Hmm I would not call the Japanese version a double album. The album in Japan was released as the normal, regular album (11 tracks), with a bonus disc added, containing the tracks (only 3 tracks) that are b-sides on Man on the Edge releases (singles, picture discs).

Bonus songs, bonus discs, a very usual economical concept in Japan. Japan does that with lots of (if not all) foreign works to make it attractive to buy the albums in their own country.

I indeed do remember that the band felt that these 2 J songs were not less in quality. They were written with the album in mind, they were not written to be b-sides. But in the end they did decide against putting in on the album. So they were album candidates, but not original album tracks.
There were 11 album songs, no more.

Yeah, well. If one is strict with the definition of what could be considered a double album, I think that the japanese version of The X Factor, as you say, can't really be consider as such because, like they always do, they just released the extra songs (they also did this with Virtual XI by the way).

Also, as you said, Justice Of The Peace and Judgement Day were considered to be part of the album but ended up being left out once they went and mixed the whole album because, according to Steve, they felt they didn't fit the feeling of the record.

I like Justice of the Peace more than a few TXF tracks. I wonder how the album flow would have been affected. I think I would not have minded the variation.

It’s weird that songs like Flies and Man Edge are ok on the album but not the other tracks like Peace or Judgment.

It says “last release with Di’Anno until BBC Archives”, which I take to mean “between BBC Archives and Maiden Japan, there were no official releases with Paul Di’Anno”.
But I could be reading that wrong.

I didn't considered it a new release because it was a compilation album, so there wasn't any new recording with Di'Anno in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back