Maiden Trivia Of The Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
August 20.jpg

Donington, we need your helping hands on this one, everywhere

So, now that everybody knows or remembers that today is the 32nd anniversary of Maiden’s first presentation at the Monsters Of Rock Festival at Donington, how about if we take a small journey in time and remember what other things have Maiden done on this day, for example…

Did you know that the first time that Maiden performed on this date was at the Music Machine in Camden Town? No? Well, how about the fact that Maiden’s Donington presentation was the first time that Maiden played on August 20 since they started their professional career?! No? That one either? Hmmmm well, well, let me tell you another trivia fact about this date and our beloved band. After the concert in Donington, 12 years passed until Eddie & the boys played again on this date. This time the concert was at the Sandstone Amphitheatre in Kansas City.

Mooooving on in time, we ain’t in Kansas anymore because the next gig that Maiden played on this date was in 2003, and it was at the Fiddler’s Green Arena in Denver, Colorado.

Aaaaaaaanddd of course, as I already told you, the last concert that Maiden played on this date was that infamous concert in the Hyundai Pavillion in San Bernardino and in fact, the last gig Maiden played at the Ozzfest 2005 festival…

Now go and tell your friends that Detailed Discography Of The Beast is the book and FB group that really brings you loads of trivia facts… and you can get it at at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

All the be(a)st!August 20.jpg

image.jpg

40 years ago, Maiden was preparing themselves to play at the Reading Festival as special guests to UFO. And, as they have always done, a couple of days before the big event, they went and played a warm-up gig at the West Runton Pavilion, a by then-popular music venue on the North Norfolk coast.

The Pavilion, originally a sports hall, had great acoustics (the venue was demolished in 1986) which made it a favourite place for bands like Maiden to practise before embarking on UK tours. It was also difficult to reach for music journalists, so groups could warm-up in a safe and unusual environment.

This concert was the second time that Maiden played at the place, the first one being June 6th, although it was originally scheduled to take place in February 16 but cancelled due to Maiden entering the studio to record their first album.

Amazingly enough, more than 30 years passed until Maiden played again on this date, this time at a much larger venue called the Marina Sur Auditorium in Valencia, Spain, during the Final Frontier World Tour. And here’s a curious fact, this is one of the venue where Maiden has played on the same date two years in a row… How’s that for a trivia fact eh?
All the be(a)st!

DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST the book and FB group that really brings you loads of trivia facts… and you can get it at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

Weeeeeeellll hello, hello, hello! Welcome to another instalment of Maiden Trivia Of The Day, Detailed Discography Of The Beast!

During the late 1970s and 1980s a small pub called The Rock Garden, situated in The Piazza, Covent Garden, London, became popular with up-and-coming punk rock and new wave artists. By 1979, as we all know, the punk rock movement was dying and the so-called New Wave Of British Heavy Metal was in full swing, especially by the hands & vocals of our beloved Iron Maiden, who today, 41 years ago, played at the venue for the first and only time.

This concert wasn’t all that different from other concerts in 1979, however, it is still special as it was sandwiched between gigs played at two of Maiden’s strongholds, the Music Machine & The Ruskin Arms and the fact that a certain guitarist named Paul Todd attended the gig and perhaps even played in a couple of numbers… Wanna know more about Maiden, their songs and concerts? Remember that DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST the book and FB group really brings you loads of trivia facts… and you can get it at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

All the be(a)st and up the ‘kin Irons!

Rock Garden.jpg

Attachments

• Rock Garden.jpg
    Rock Garden.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 0
On my London school trip (back in ´96) I went to The Rock Garden. From what I remember there was a punkrock band playing, Green Day-influenced and they had cola on tap. There was a plate hanging on the wall saying Maiden played there live in 1979. I regret not wearing my Maiden shirt that evening.

Last edited:
On my London school trip (back in ´96) I went to The Rock Garden. From what I remember there was a punkrock band playing, Green Day-influenced and they had cola on tap. There was a plate hanging on the wall saying Maiden played there live in 1979. I regret not wearing my Maiden shirt that evening.

Really like that small anecdote. I do believe that nowadays the Rock Garden doesn't exist anymore, I believe is an Apple Store and it only has a blue plaque outside saying that there used to be a punk-rock pub there.

August 25.jpg

Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the Beast – Bruce: Oh God - What is it Dave?
for it is a human number, its number is six hundred and sixty six" – Bruce: That's easy for you to say…

Aha! Welcome, once again, to the Maiden Trivia Of The Day for August 25.

Well now, if you have been paying attention to my posts you should already know that the first concert that Maiden played on this date was at The Ruskin Arms, in East Ham but hey! Did you know that this was the first AND ONLY concert that Maiden played on this date with Di’Anno on the front? Um-hum, yes it was.

Now, what about the first concert that Maiden with Bruce played on this date? Well, it was one of those two concerts that Maiden played before their first headline spot at Reading Festival ’82. The gig was played at the Gold Diggers Club in Chippenham.

The following year, Maiden also played a concert on this date. This time it was at the Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale.

1984, also saw Eddie & the boys rocking the stage, this time it was in France, and the venue was the Parc des Expositions in Annecy.

Wanna know more about Maiden, their songs and concerts? DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST is THA ebook and FB group http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

8 years after the concert during the World Slavery Tour, Maiden played a concert that has been immortalized with two songs in the Real Dead One album. It was played at The Valby Hallen, Copenhagen, Denmark. The 2 songs? ‘The Number Of The Beast’ & ‘From Here To Eternity’.
Moving on, we get to the first time that Blaze & Maiden played on this date and find that it was a very big concert in the Couto Pereira Stadium in Curitiba, Brazil.

Oh, by the way, this was actually THE ONLY concert that Blaze played with Maiden on this date.

Only 2 more concerts have Maiden played again on this date. The first one was at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago (2000) and the second one was at the Long Beach Arena in L.A. (2003). And that’s it my friends.

All the be(a)st!

August 27.jpg

Maiden Trivia Of The Day

The Cape Cod Coliseum opened in September 1972. It was a 46,000-square foot concrete arena which sat between 5,000-6,500 people and cost $1.5 million to build. During the 80’s the “air-conditioned” Cape Cod Coliseum as it was referred, hosted many major rock concerts during the summer months, among them, Iron Maiden, who performed their first and only concert in the place, 37 years ago to the date, during the World Piece Tour.

This first and only presentation of the band in the place has a small but cool trivia fact (which is why I’m commenting it) which was that about one hour before the concert started, Bruce Dickinson walked inside the building shaking hands and saying hello to everyone who was present at the moment and telling them to enjoy the show! Can you imagine Bruce doing this today?!

06. Tank Wall Paper.jpg

So today’s the 14th anniversary of the A Matter Of Life And Death album, and what better way to celebrate it than with 5 trivia facts about the album.

1. The first recording session for the album took place on March 11, 2006 and the last notes for the album weren’t played on a guitar, but on a keyboard by Mr. Harris with the help of Michael Kenney on May 24, 2006.

2. Originally, ‘The Pilgrim’ was going to be the 5th song on the album, it was only after the album was being mixed by Kevin Shirley that Steve decided to change the order between ‘The Longest Day’ and ‘The Pilgrim’ in order to make the album flow better.

3. ‘Out Of The Shadows’ marked the first time since No Prayer For The Dying that Steve & Bruce worked on a song without help from one of the guitarists.

4. Initially the album was going to be called ‘The Legacy’, but after a little investigation, Maiden’s decided to use other title because many known bands had issued albums with similar names, so it was rejected.

5. Originally the back sleeve, drawn by Tim Bradsteet and painted by Grant Goleash was going to feature the back of Eddie with shoots on his back. It was later decided to just show the cross guns Eddie.

Wanna know more trivia facts about Maiden and all it’s work? DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST ebook and FB group tells you and shows you more than anyone else!Get it at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

View attachment 12717

So today’s the 14th anniversary of the A Matter Of Life And Death album, and what better way to celebrate it than with 5 trivia facts about the album.

1. The first recording session for the album took place on March 11, 2006 and the last notes for the album weren’t played on a guitar, but on a keyboard by Mr. Harris with the help of Michael Kenney on May 24, 2006.

2. Originally, ‘The Pilgrim’ was going to be the 5th song on the album, it was only after the album was being mixed by Kevin Shirley that Steve decided to change the order between ‘The Longest Day’ and ‘The Pilgrim’ in order to make the album flow better.

3. ‘Out Of The Shadows’ marked the first time since No Prayer For The Dying that Steve & Bruce worked on a song without help from one of the guitarists.

4. Initially the album was going to be called ‘The Legacy’, but after a little investigation, Maiden’s decided to use other title because many known bands had issued albums with similar names, so it was rejected.

5. Originally the back sleeve, drawn by Tim Bradsteet and painted by Grant Goleash was going to feature the back of Eddie with shoots on his back. It was later decided to just show the cross guns Eddie.

Wanna know more trivia facts about Maiden and all it’s work? DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST ebook and FB group tells you and shows you more than anyone else!Get it at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

This is interesting, I actually like that track order a lot better. It’s bolder, but I like having The Pilgrim as the halfway point and three war songs clumped together.

This is interesting, I actually like that track order a lot better. It’s bolder, but I like having The Pilgrim as the halfway point and three war songs clumped together.

Thanks for the comment mate. I agree with you and now that you mention it, I think I'm gonna see how the album sounds with that running order to see if I notice and difference in the feel

Revisiting Somewhere In Time on AMOLAD:
1. TROBB intro has a certain SIT feel.
2. The line "a wolf in sheepsclothing" from FTGGOG appeared also on CSIT.
3. On the documentary (bonus disc on limited edition )a SIT Eddie bobblehead figure shows up.
4. Eddie´s holding a gun on the album cover...first time since SIT.

Last edited:

I never noticed that, I'd always assumed Adrian contributed to it. Particularly the mid section with the acoustic doubled with the electric guitar part, I'd never have guessed that was a Bruce or Steve idea.

August 31.jpg

And we’re back! Welcome everybody to another installment of the Maiden Trivia Of The Day for August 31.

Well, let me tell you, this one starts with a bit of mystery. Maiden’s first concert played on this date was also their first time at a small club in Aberavon, called the 9 Volts Club. You may be asking yourself, what’s the mystery in all this? Well, here it goes. Try to find a photo of the 9 Volts Club or, better yet, any info about the pub at all in the web and you will probably find almost nothing! Isn’t strange?

Anyway, let’s move on to Maiden’s second concert on this date, shall we? It was while supporting Kiss on their “Unmasked” Tour and it was, as a matter of fact, Maiden’s second concert in Italy. The venue was the Palasport in Genova. This was also the only time Paul Di’Anno would sing with Maiden after they became pro.

The next time Maiden played on this date was at the Mid-Hudson Civic Center in Poughkeepsie, New York.

3 more classic era Maiden concerts took place on this day: Oporto – Pavilhão Infante Sagres (1984), Budapest – MTK Stadion (1988) & Oslo – Spektrum (1992).

Entering the Blaze era, we find that Mr. Bayley only played once on this date and it was, as a matter of fact, the end of The X Factour tour in a stadium called Obras Sanitarias (Sanitary Works) in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Now, I have talked to some fans who went to see the concert and most of them weren’t impressed by Blaze and the sound in the stadium, however, they were impressed with Janick who literally climbed onto the speakers!

Today also marks the 15th year anniversary of the end of the Eddie Rips Up Europe Summer Tour, which ended in the RDS Main Arena in Dublin, Ireland.

Now, the final concert that Maiden has played on this date took place just one year ago at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary.
And that’s it for today my friends.

Wanna know more trivia facts about Maiden and all its work? DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST ebook and FB group tells you and shows you more than anyone else! Get it at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

Today also marks the 15th year anniversary of the end of the Eddie Rips Up Europe Summer Tour, which ended in the RDS Main Arena in Dublin, Ireland.

Another gig I was at, biggest ever attended gig in Ireland from Maiden and only time they played outdoor ( a record that remains since the Belfast gig for this year was cancelled), probably in the region of 25,000 at it, Marilyn Manson being second on the bill certainly helped this.

Re: "9 volts club" looking at the ticket there it would seem to me that the name of the venue is actually "the Bier Keller", 9 Volts club seems to be the name of the club night rather than the venue. Maybe this could be why info is hard to find?

Another gig I was at, biggest ever attended gig in Ireland from Maiden and only time they played outdoor ( a record that remains since the Belfast gig for this year was cancelled), probably in the region of 25,000 at it, Marilyn Manson being second on the bill certainly helped this.

Re: "9 volts club" looking at the ticket there it would seem to me that the name of the venue is actually "the Bier Keller", 9 Volts club seems to be the name of the club night rather than the venue. Maybe this could be why info is hard to find?

Awesome that you were on the Belfast gig my friend! It was certainly a great tour ending.

About the 9 Volt's it has always been referred as the 9 Volt's but I'm gonna see if I can find anything with the Bier Keller

Another memory of the gig is that Steve had a bass problem early on, which lead to a little delay which featured Bruce playing the William Tell Overture on his face.

Also this was the first gig since Dublin fans had booed the Union Jack in 2003, so Bruce had a speech before the Trooper explaining that it wasn't political etc. and that he wasn't going to wave it that night but they would in future gigs. Bruce did a mime waving an invisible flag during the Trooper. It wasn't until 2017 when the Union Jack would again be waved in Dublin (to no boos or crowd reaction) as Trooper wasn't in the set in 2006 or 2010.

05. Sleeve & Vinyl.jpg

MAIDEN TRIVIA OF THE DAY – WILDEST DREAMS EDITION

So today is the 17th anniversary of the release of Wildest Dreams, the first single off the Dance of Death album and to celebrate it the wonderful exciting full of trivia eBook DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST which you can get at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666 gives you some trivia facts (expanded in the private FB page and on the ebook of course) about this single.

1. It was the first DVD-single released by the band, which features a complete computer-animated video of the song.

2. The version of the song that comes with the single is almost the same as the album version but with the Nicko counting the band in edited out.

3. The song gave the band the opportunity, for the second time in their career, to feature a song from an upcoming album. The first time that the band did this was in 1981, when they played songs from the then unrecorded and upcoming album, The Number Of The Beast.

4. Originally the video for the song was going to be live action. Maiden even asked for fans with muscle cars to contact them but the idea was scrapped and the band went with the computer animated one.

5. For the orchestral version featured in the single. Steve recorded his ideas in a tape that was sent to Jeff Bova (who did the orchestration), funny enough this tape was just Steve explaining what he wanted and sort of whistling what sort of orchestration he wanted in which parts. Here’s what Bruce told me about this: “I came in the studio one day and there was Steve talking into a little mic and I thought, 'what the hell are you doing?' He was actually recording his suggestions and instructions onto a DAT”

Wanna know more? DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST is the way to go…

Maiden Trivia Of The Day – Powerslave Edition

So yes! Today marks the 36th anniversary of the release of Powerslave album.

What hasn’t been told about this album? Recorded in Compass Point Studio in the Bahamas between March & April 1984, where the band had loads of fun with other artists that were in the island such as Mick Jagger, Roxy Music’s Bryan Ferry and Chris Franz, Tina Weymouth from Talking Heads, and Robert Palmer who, as you’ll be able to read in Adrian’s book Monsters of River & Rock, happen to be IN THE STUDIO when Adrian recorded his guitar solo on the title track of the album.

So with that being told, let us have 5 trivia facts about the album

1. The first song to be written for the album was ‘Powerslave’. It is more than just about the ancient Egyptians. It was also about the band, and what was happening to them during the World Piece Tour.

2. ‘Losfer Words (Big ‘Orra)’ was going to have lyrics but the band didn’t have time to do them and seeing that they needed to fill the album, they decided to leave it as we know it.

3. ‘2 Minutes To Midnight’ bears a striking similarity to the first single from the band White Spirit (featuring Janick Gers) called ‘Midnight Chaser’.

4. As Nicko was receiving flying lessons in Nassau, he sometimes went to the studio with his flying gear still own. It could be why Steve thought about writing ‘Aces High’. Nicko learned to fly in a fly in a PA-28 Cherokee 140.

5. There’s a pirate south African promo single that has a Radio Edit of ‘Rime Of The Ancient Mariner’ that shall NOT be confused with a promo 12” single version of 2 Minutes To Midnight that has the complete version of ‘Mariner’ as a B-Side.

Remember that this trivia facts and much, much more can be found in the DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST http://subscribepage.com/luisma666 which now you can get in parts at a much more affordable part

Part I – Covering all the songs from Iron Maiden, Killers, The Number Of The Beast & Piece Of Mind in 105 pages.

Part II – Covering all the songs from Powerslave, Live After Death, Somewhere In Time & Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son in 69 pages.

Part III – Covering all the songs from No Prayer For The Dying, Fear Of The Dark, The X Factor & Virtual XI in 56 pages.

Part IV – Covering all the songs from Brave New World, A Matter Of Life And Death, The Final Frontier & The Book Of Souls in 73 pages.

Attachments

• Powerslave Is Coming.png
    Powerslave Is Coming.png
    107.3 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back