Maiden Trivia Of The Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
August 17.jpg

Budapest, listen. Thank you is been an incredible show… The first time ever, the first time in Budapest…. You want another one?

(Crowd cheers)

You want another one?

(Crowd cheers)

You want another one?

(Crowd cheers)

Run To The Hills…!

Woo! Alright!

WELCOME! To another, Maiden Trivia Of The Day. Hope you all had a great weekend and are keep in it safe in the strange and troubling times.

The first time that Maiden played a concert on August 17, was in 1979. The venue was The Gallery Night Club in Birkenhead and the night was coooooolddd as f*ck! Of course, inside the gig it was smoldering hoy but Davey comments that when they went out of the pub it was snowing so the temperature shock really hit them.

Speaking of being smoldering hot, thanks to the 20th Century Box show that was aired today, 40 years ago, we get a SMOKING, furious and incredible excerpt (unfortunately) of ‘Drifter’ played at The Marquee in July 1980. We also get to hear 2 amazing live versions of POTO and IM, also played at the Marquee. Oh! And here’s the trivia fact of the day… Maiden is sitting on the recordings of the 3 gigs they played at The Marquee in July 1980, so one day, hopefully, we’ll get a full release of this shows.

Moving on, we get to the 2nd time that Maiden performed a concert on this date. The year was 1982, and Maiden was the supporting band to Scorpions on their “Blackout” Tour in the US. The concert was played at the Odessa’s Ector Country Coliseum.

The 3rd concert that Maiden played on this date is pretty famous not only because it was the, THE first one to be played at Budapest, as Bruce comments, but because it made the evening news on Hungarian TV. At one moment, you could hear Bruce's singing in the background rising above of that of the reporter's who was sitting in the studio reading from his papers that some rock band called Iron Maiden did a great show the night before at Sportscsarnok parking lot in 1984. 2 of the songs (‘Run To The Hills’ and ‘2 Minutes To Midnight’) that Maiden played on this day were immortalized in the Behind The Iron Curtain documentary.

1988, also saw Maiden, or shall I say, Charlotte & The Harlots, play on this date. It was at Bruce’s old “playing ground” the Queen Mary's College as a warm-up to Maiden’s first Donington presentation.

There’s so much more to learn about what Maiden did on this day on the exclusive Detailed Discography Of The Beast Facebook which you can enter simply by visiting http://subscribepage.com/luisma666 pressing the I WANT MORE INFO button and buying the amazing DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST

All the be(a)st

August 18.jpg

Fuck my old boots, it's just… I can't hack… I can't handle that situation when people think some can't make me grief, and it's important to me to get a message like that… Fucking Hell! How can I get some… Get, get… When I also fucked as well… I would'na minded if I'd have gotten what it was happening straight… Like, on the end "alright, 'Arris got his bass fucked, right I'll carry on and do something else", then that's fine, If I didn't fuck-up… But he made me fuck. It totally threw me right out, and he wasn't…

Yeah, yeah, yeah so we KNOW that 37 years ago, Maiden played at the Allentown Fair Grounds, the gig where Steve’s Bass Transmitter or battery went down and he took time to changed it while Nick was playing his solo and Harris sent a roadie to talk to him and all the rest of the story that you can hear in the ‘Mission From ‘Arry’, one of the B-sides of 2 Minutes To Midnight but hey, this IS THE Maiden Trivia Of The Day, so why shouldn’t I tell you not only that the DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST book is THE only place where you can actually learn THOUSANDS of trivia facts like the ones I post daily, but also that 2 other particular things happened on that concert.

The first thing was that during ‘The Flight Of Icarus’ a fan ran up the stage and almost rammed Bruce, however, the stagehands acted quickly and pushed the fan who fell directly into the crowd.

The second thing that happened during the concert was that Bruce goy extremely mad at a fan who threw him a T-Shirt while he was singing ‘Die With Your Boots On’. Now, let me tell you, Bruce got so mad that threatened to punch the guy who, after being pinpointed in the crowd, was forced to leave the venue! How times change eh? As we know, now Bruce usually makes jokes about the things that are thrown on stage (unless is something that can actually hurt one of the band members or crew).

Loads of other things have happened in Maiden World on this date, and you can find out all about it when you purchase the book by subscribing at http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

All The Be(a)st my friends!August 18.jpg

You can choose and buy fancy books with fancy covers that tell you stories you can find easily on the web or you can choose to buy a book that actually gonna make you learn thousands of Maiden Trivia not available anywhere else… http://subscribepage.com/luisma666

No waiting, no excuses, just pay and receive the DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST.

44 years ago, a certain band called Iron Maiden was rehearsing at the Cart & Horses.

Having learned the power of good advertising while on Smiler, a young Steve Harris contacted a photographer, who also happened to be Ron Matthews father, to take a few snapshots of the band. One of those pictures ended up being in the media.

Maiden also played a gig this day and it was recorded on tape giving some lucky b*stards out there (you know who you are ;) ) an incomplete bootleg of the show. Want to know the songs of it? DETAILED DISCOGRAPHY OF THE BEAST

All The Be(a)st my friends!

1976.08.19 - First Line Up.jpg1976.08.19 - First Line Up.jpg

When I started the research (in the hand written notebook) I started doing notes of the solos. Then I would say around 97-99, a group of fans and me on the IM forum (when it was free) decided to compare notes and try to come up with the complete list of solos until. I specifically remember there was an Italian fan that had done an awesome job and it was the general consensus that his list was the most accurate.

I seem to remember also that there's some interviews where Steve says who plays what (for a specific album in the 80's) and there are a couple of Guitar Worlds & Guitar Magazines where either they deconstruct some songs and say who played the solo or where Adrian, Dave &/or Janick are interview and say who plays what.

For some of the latest albums I had help from a couple of guys from the IMFC.
I did this since 1998 on the Baeleron website, later Iron Maiden Commentary. You're not going to tell me that you, that group of fans, or that Italian had not noticed nor used that. I also was the first with solo information (posted on this very forum) on new albums since the Commentary stopped being active.

Last edited:
Excuse me Foro but
I did this since 1998 on the Baeleron website, later Iron Maiden Commentary. You're not going to tell me that you, that group of fans, or that Italian had not noticed nor used that. I also was the first with solo information (posted on this very forum) since the Commentary stopped being active.

I guess anyone could have noticed it but we (I) decided not to use it, simply because that's how research works. You could have done an amazing job but just because you did it, it doesn't mean that anyone can't do their own research or job and do it all over again. That's just how one detects errors or becomes aware of something that probably hasn't been noticed by another person.

In any case, I CAN tell you that before 1998, there were people working on the solography in the IM forum.

All the be(a)st

Well, I find it questionable when you

A: say you were a fan of the biggest Maiden fan site (with information),

B: made something including comparable information,

C: (or your sources) did not use anything of it.

On the one hand I am curious to learn how that solo info looks like and naturally all the rest (so shut up Foro buy the book), on the other hand, I still question your sources and credits and feel reluctant.

Last edited:
Listen
You can copy paste job away, mention vague sources or deny them but it is seriously questionable when you

C: did not use anything of it.

On the one hand I am curious to learn how that solo info looks like, on the other hand, I question your sources and credits.

Listen Foro, I really don't know what's your problem. You can choose to believe whatever you want. Everything in my book is backed up, everyone who helped in the making of it is mentioned. Hell I even went to my notes to see if you were mentioned, anywhere.

Fortunately, way before this discussion took place I mentioned every single web page from where parts of the info of my book were taken so anyone who has it can attest that all my sources are clearly stated in the book.

On the other hand, I just don't see why would I say I was a fan of the Baeloron site and not say openly that I used information from there but say I I did used information from other pages? What's the benefit of that?!

In any case, you just seem to want to argue. Don't trust my work, fine, It isn't the first time that a researcher has been banned from here or just chooses not to share something because someone just keeps questioning his work.... In the end, most fans find the truth and end up eating their words

I had, but as often too late, edited my post somewhat, before you posted:

= =
I find it questionable when you

On the one hand I am curious to learn how that solo info looks like and naturally all the rest (so shut up Foro buy the book), on the other hand, I still question your sources and credits and feel reluctant.
= =

I don't understand why you are reluctant about being more open and concrete about sources and credits out here.

I had, but as often too late, edited my post somewhat, before you posted:

= =
I find it questionable when you

= =

I don't understand why you are reluctant about being more open and concrete about sources and credits out here.

Ok, let me see if understand. You basically want me to post here ALL the sources from my book? If that's so, I'll could reveal all the open sources if that would help anyone to see the amount of work

I'm specifically curious about the solo info content. Who made the info, how was it made, and when.
edit: and I wonder if you did mentioned Baeleron's site / Iron Maiden Commentary (only as inspiration or more?).

At least as interested in the following, from my fan perspective:
I am also curious about how much of the book contains direct info from all the people you mentioned. I assume, direct meaning: you cannot read this anywhere else. I understand you did a huge job, and collected lots of information. The thing is, I have read a lot of information, and I am curious about new information. So forgive me for especially focussing on the new stuff, the stuff you had received from people in the band, ex or current band members and people close to the band.

Do you also have an overview of concert data in the seventies?
I realise that it may be off topic from the title (discography) but you never know. ;--)

Ok, let me see if understand. You basically want me to post here ALL the sources from my book? If that's so, I'll could reveal all the open sources if that would help anyone to see the amount of work
Bud, I have the book, nobody other than you is crazy enough to put all this stuff in one location. That said, Foro, if you're that concerned, you should buy it and write a detailed critique.

I'm specifically curious about the solo info content. Who made the info, how was it made, and when.
edit: and I wonder if you did mentioned Baeleron's site / Iron Maiden Commentary (only as inspiration or more?).

At least as interested in the following, from my fan perspective:
I am also curious about how much of the book contains direct info from all the people you mentioned. I assume, direct meaning: you cannot read this anywhere else. I understand you did a huge job, and collected lots of information. The thing is, I have read a lot of information, and I am curious about new information. So forgive me for especially focussing on the new stuff, the stuff you had received from people in the band, ex or current band members and people close to the band.

Do you also have an overview of concert data in the seventies?
I realise that it may be off topic from the title (discography) but you never know. ;--)

Whoa ok, that's very specific information you want and it definitely won't be very entertaining but hey, I will try to answer your question the best way I can but you definitely need to be very patient as this has been a very long process, documented in loads of paper that I don't have in my house at the time. Off the top of my mind, I can tell you that it was done using different methods as it started being done as early as 1990. The first method of course was listening to a track over and over and over trying to separate the different styles and sounds of each guitarist. In this, I can say that suck at this but I did try. In 1992, thanks to a very good friend, who also helped me with the work (Federico Arno) I met one of the greatest rock musicians of my country (Jorge Spiteri) who was of course very, very able to identify each style and was very kind to help us do this. Spiteri had (he died this year) a studio so using his studio he would play the first albums (which he had them all) in his studio so the sound was incredible. In what I would say took about 6 months, Spiteri, Federico, and I had a complete list of each of the solos from all the albums (minus LAD). This list was the groundwork for all the albums between 1980 to 1992. This list, of course, was also reviewed using information in magazines from the time and looking at songbooks also.

In 1997, as I say in my book and I have previously answered, I got an internet connection and a whole new world opened. I will copy here exactly what it says page 6 of my book:

"There were so many good and interesting pages back in the day (some of them still exist): Baeleron's Iron Maiden Commentary; Maidonian City; Iron Maiden Heaven; Iron Maiden – Life After Death; Maiden fans; Trooper Sounds; Iron Maiden in Hungary - Reka's Iron Maiden Page and Site Iron Maiden Suisse romand! To name just a few. All of these pages were a huge inspiration for me, because, at first, what I planned to do was to make my own webpage.

I dreamt of making a webpage as cool as Baeleron's Iron Maiden Commentary but bigger, with all the info I had collected between 1990 and 1997, via interviews, magazine & paper clippings but I had a "small" problem… I HAD NO IDEA on how to make a webpage or where to start, so, after giving it a lot of thought, I abandoned the idea and started to wonder what could I do with all the info I had collected and organised through the years and so it was that the idea of a book was born."
Note: Notice that my "dream" was to make another page, not to copy it so it was always my plan not to repeat info.

In the IM forum, which was free, I met some great fans like Gor (who by the way did an ebook that came out in 2010, but started working on it way before 2005 that also has a solography) who was definitely an inspiration for mine, BrainSurgery, Franco Nienna (the italian guy I mentioned earlier), Barlevy, Heavy Pen, Barbilox, DjK, Dmleod, and a lot more and in one of the many, many talks we had the idea to go back to the solography was shared (I probably still have the printed conversations in my folks house as I have kept most of the info that I gathered thru the years there) and the thing just grew from there. Every specific person would share their findings (in no particular order) and we would compare the notes we had until everyone was satisfied. Which method did each person use is beyond me, to be honest, I just thought that everyone just sat and recognised the people playing the solo and I honestly didn't bother to ask them. In any case, the last time I remember making a review of the list was, I think, 2 or 3 years ago, and it was done with info shared in the IMFC. Hope this clears the matter a little more as I tried not to repeat myself with info I had already given before.

About the direct info, I am 98% sure EVERY fan is going to find info that isn't available anywhere else. Why do I say this? 'Cause I have made a lot of effort not to repeat something that's already out there. Hell, as a matter of fact, I have bought a LOT of books (all mentioned in the book) dreaming of finding something new and I still go thru loads and loads of newspapers, magazines, etc, literally every day searching for info I have not seen anywhere else. Besides, I have been privileged to talk to ex-members of the band or people who are very close to them to confirm the info I give in the book. What I have done is to point to passages of public info to demonstrate that certain things I say about songs are not fiction or something I have made up but something that a band member (of every era) has also confirmed (and it was probably dismissed). Now, I am not like to brag that I am friends with the band but I will say I have been lucky enough to hold private conversations with almost all of them, via telephone or by questionnaire and I do know people who are/were in the killer krew who have been willing to provide information as long as I don't publicly reveal they did or what they said.

Now about the last part of your question. Yes I do, as a matter of fact, all the Maiden trivia come from the work I'm currently doing which is a complete tourgraphy with literally thousands of trivia fact for a lot of days and that will be available, I hope, before the year ends.

By the way, as I'm sure @LooseCanoon or @sfrc can confirm, I just rechecked and what do you know! You're credited in the book as I think that you participated in a conversation on this forum that was very enlightening. They can also confirm that what I have copied here about page 6 is the truth.

Hope I have answered your question.

@Forostar you can even ask Ricardo Lira if he was able to learn something new in my book. All in all, I prefer that anyone who has bought my book tell you about it and if they have learned something that they didn't know before.

All the be(a)st!

Is this just guitar solos we're talking about here? As we're making it sound super, super complicated. Unless there is documented evidence of who played what (e.g. Steve Harris says so in that guitar book) then all anyone can do is listen. And... that doesn't take six months. That would take literally a couple of hours.

Bud, I have the book, nobody other than you is crazy enough to put all this stuff in one location. That said, Foro, if you're that concerned, you should buy it and write a detailed critique.

Hahaha thank you very much for your words. I have answered foro question as best as I could. It does concern me that someone would be willing to think I basically just copied and paste info and not did the work or present something new just to win a bit of money.

I know a "famous" author who does repeat info I have known from years and can be easily accessed in the web, hell I know he even uses conversations that we have in this forum and he doesn't credit ANYONE and presents himself like this original know all and what do I do, just keep doing my work and respect the people who think he is the greatest Maiden writer because he has x amount of books... Well fine. I wonder if that author would take the time to answer the questions I have answered...

Anyway, I'm glad you wrote what you wrote and who know, maybe Foro will eventually buy the book and tell us all if he has learned something new or not.!

Is this just guitar solos we're talking about here? As we're making it sound super, super complicated. Unless there is documented evidence of who played what (e.g. Steve Harris says so in that guitar book) then all anyone can do is listen. And... that doesn't take six months. That would take literally a couple of hours.

I think that´s what Foro is after mate! What can I tell you?! Oh and in some cases I do have document proof that a solo is played by someone (as I said earlier) because there are magazines where Dave, Adrian and Janick say, that's my solo, or I play this solo, and bla, bla, bla... Oh and the solography didn't take 6 months, it was done in the course of 6 months...! Should have been more specific with that.!

Foro did the solo survivor (here on MFans) with the help of myself & others. I think that's why he's asking.

Well I think he did implied that I just lifted the solo stuff from the Iron Maiden Commentary without saying it! But well, I have tried to answer his question as best as I can... Pretty boring if you ask me, but there's the answer for anyone interested in reading it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back