Maiden Tour 2014 (NO SPOILER TAGS, ENTER AT OWN RISK)

Rob uses one. He has problem remembering the lyrics (obviously not for Breaking the Law, but it's on the autocue nevertheless). So what? Would you rather have him fuck up the lyrics to The Sentinel?

I suppose it doesn't matter if it doesn't affect the show, I've never seen them so I wouldn't know. But I would think that anyone can learnt a set of their own songs if they put enough hours in, and if the band rehearses enough. I mean, Lemmy doesn't need an autocue...

Bruce-Dickinson-and-Frank-009.jpg

Bruce's face though...

I thought Bruce had an autocue? Nearly every big band that I can think of uses one I think, don't see the problem myself

I suppose it doesn't matter if it doesn't affect the show, I've never seen them so I wouldn't know. But I would think that anyone can learnt a set of their own songs if they put enough hours in, and if the band rehearses enough. I mean, Lemmy doesn't need an autocue...
If Rob feels he needs one, then let him have it. Whether Lemmy needs one or not is not relevant. If Rob feels he has problem remembering the lyrics and wants to use one to help him out to go out there and perform for the fans, then bring him 20 more auto cue monitors as far as I'm concerned.

You can't assume the same things go for different people. Rob and Lemmy are separate individuals. Rob needs one, Lemmy doesn't. It's not our business.

It's all in how you use it, in my opinion. It's like having a lyrics sheet or chord chart. These guys tour a lot, they play a lot of different songs, they've written and recorded hundreds of songs, and they're getting older. If they need some reminders throughout the set to keep the show intact, so be it.

If they are Ozzy, and stand at the microphone and stare blankly at the Autocue like a zombie because they literally remember nothing, they shouldn't be up there at all.

Saw them at Hellfest 2 days ago. The show was great, although they had problems with their sound. I don't know if it was caused by the wind or if the sound was objectively mediocre. Adrian spent the first four songs switching guitars as he was clearly unsatisfied and Bruce could hardly be heard at the end of the show. But the rest was perfect : Steve was really on fire ; Dave played great solos (and the "normal" versions, not the "lazy" ones, and Nicko was fantastic (I don't know why I particularly noticed that this time, but I got stunned by his performance on Phantom of the Opera) . Now, I'm looking forward to seeing British Lion on july the 14 th.

Last edited:
Adrian changed guitars throughout the whole show when I saw him (at least not (only) in the beginning; in my memory he kept changing with a few exceptions; surely his guitar tech is the busiest of all). I think it's all "programmed", because the changes went very quick. It's probably pure fun for him to use many different guitars.

About the disappearance of Wrathchild. I think it has to do with Nicko. When I saw him he looked slightly injured, because he played with a bandage (I know it's probably called something else but I don't know the word and I am too lazy to look it up) around his wrist.

Wrathchild, as short as it is, is an intense song for the right arm. Perhaps he (and thus the whole band) feel more comfortable with this injury when they leave it out.

Here a vid of Sanctuary; at the end Nicko comes on and you can see what I mean.

EDIT:
Hmm, at Rock am Ring he doesn't wear this anymore.

Last edited:
As I recall from an older episode of IMTV, Nicko has some "tennis elbow" in his arm. It's nothing serious, it just requires a bit of extra attention. The brace probably helps his stamina, similar to the knee or leg wraps you'll sometimes see football (soccer) players sporting. Plus, if anything, Wrathchild is no more right-arm intense than Aces High or Moonchild!

In Aces and Moonchild he can smuggle a bit (leave some hits out; and the accents are more on the snare-beat anyway), but in Wrathchild the whole groove is really leaning on the right-arm, plus the playing is also faster. I am not saying that the technique of Wrathchild is more difficult, but it really could be more intense. Aces and Moonchild have different patterns (figures) and imo the songs lean more on bass and snare drum. The rest is pure Nicko style drumwork that he is used to (and which he created).

Last edited:
In Aces and Moonchild he can smuggle a bit (leave some hits out; and the accents are more on the snare-beat anyway), but in Wrathchild the whole groove is really leaning on the right-arm, plus the playing is also faster. I am not saying that th technique of Wrathchild is more difficult, but it really could be more intense. Aces and Moonchild have different patterns (figures) and imo the songs lean more on bass and snare drum. The rest is pure Nicko style drumwork that he is used to (and which he created).
True, and he has been "cheating" some of the ride cymbal parts on Aces and Moonchild a bit. But I'd be surprised if Wrathchild has been that difficult for him. I have a feeling they axed it at first to end the show early for that World Cup match, and then decided the set flowed better without it.

True, and he has been "cheating" some of the ride cymbal parts on Aces and Moonchild a bit. But I'd be surprised if Wrathchild has been that difficult for him. I have a feeling they axed it at first to end the show early for that World Cup match, and then decided the set flowed better without it.

I can't believe they'd drop a song to finish in time for an England match. If England had fared better, they potentially could have been playing a quarter final at exactly the same time Maiden are to be on stage at Knebworth. How many songs would Maiden have dropped then?!

I think it's most likely they dropped it because it was in the wrong place to start with and ruined the flow of 'big' songs leading up to 'Iron Maiden'. It's shame they couldn't put it somewhere else in the set, or replace it, but I guess lighting, backdrops, pyro, etc are all set up and rehearsed and can only be omitted, not changed, mid-tour. They dropped Charlotte from the Early Years tour, and didn't replace her, and I'm sure the reason was that the track didn't sound right where it was.

If England had fared better, they potentially could have been playing a quarter final at exactly the same time Maiden are to be on stage at Knebworth.

I don't think anybody considered that a realistic possibility.

They dropped Charlotte from the Early Years tour, and didn't replace her, and I'm sure the reason was that the track didn't sound right where it was.

Actually, they did. They replaced it with Wrathchild. Surprise?

Back