Maiden England '88 + History Part 3 coming March 25th!

Yea, I listened to it on spotify a few times. I might actually buy the CD version at some point; something I don't normally do. Really loving it. They did cut out all of Bruce's banter in between songs but I kinda like that. That stuff is better when watching the DVD anyway, especially when he is doing stuff like playing with puppets :D.

I fucking love Bruce's banter though, I have to say. You get a feel for the band-audience connection that night. The banter reminds you that it is a LIVE show...and it makes the shows special and puts them apart from other Maiden releases...I guess I can always just record my own version of Maiden England '88 using Audacity, just record the audio track off the DVD :D

Oh I love the banters too. I hate when they cut it out of the DVDs too. It's just that when I'm listening in the car or something I tend to want to get straight to the music.

I have never seen this concert before, so watching it last night was a treat. Great concert! The puppet show was "different".

Tonight I'll be watching disc 2.

I was at the Ocean Center Daytona Beach show yes. Maiden had played the Lakeland Civic Center in Lakeland the previous 3 World Tours. I had seen World Slavery and Somewhere on Tour in Lakeland.
Since 1988 I had not seen them live until Somewhere Back In Time in Ft Lauderdale where I took my 2 sons with me. They are High Schoolers now. I have since taken them to Final Frontier in D.C. and 2nd leg in Tampa, and Maiden England in Atlanta. There had been a Huge hole in my concert experiences without my favorite band touring the south at all for 20 years.

I was still two years away from being born when this concert took place... but my dad (who saw Maiden just about every tour in the 80's) always told me that this was his favorite concert/tour of Iron Maiden. He saw them when they came to St. Louis, MO, on June 17th, 1988. He still had his ticket stub (and gave it to me several years ago). I have it locked up in a safe haha

He would have loved this DVD, it's a shame it didn't come out before he passed away. Would have absolutely loved watching it with him!

Just finished watching disc 2, I felt the documentary should have been a bit longer and I really did not care for the black and white "boxes" the band members were in while talking ... but overall it was good and I am glad I bought it. 12 Wasted Years was cool seeing again, I had this on VHS for a long time and probably watched it 1000 times (at least the music parts), but have not seen it in years. The promo videos are nice, but I already have them all on Visions of the Beast.

Oh I love the banters too. I hate when they cut it out of the DVDs too. It's just that when I'm listening in the car or something I tend to want to get straight to the music.
Agree, I like the banters on the video, but on the MP3s, LPs, CDs, etc, I prefer just the music and maybe a short intro

I was surprised and enjoyed the amount of live footage from the SIT tour because I thought that there wasn't any (outside of the SIASL video). I really wish they had filmed that tour as it was my first Maiden show. Loved the concert, brings back memories of seeing this tour in 88 and last summer.Steve is right, the SSOASS album still holds up after all these years

Finally got the DVD, halfway through the documentary now.

Favourite moments so far: the guys making fun of Bruce's Somewhere In Time glow-in-the-dark jacket, and on a more serious note, Bruce explaining the difference between SIT ("claymation") and SSOASS ("boom, here's the whole thing, all in one piece"). He really described it well.

Edit: Just finished watching it, it seems a bit short, especially when compared to the History part 2 (Powerslave-LAD) documentary which was an hour long, and covered an even shorter period than this one. I'm already looking forward to the next History video when we'll finally get to see and hear Janick and hopefully get to hear more details about Adrian leaving.

Bruce explaining the difference between SIT ("claymation") and SSOASS ("boom, here's the whole thing, all in one piece"). He really described it well.
He and Steve underrated SIT. B)

It really explains why the band hardly pays attention to the album.

Yes, somewhere in time is a great album and the reason I got into the band. The band doesn't like it. I will never understand this.

I've watched this concert three times in the past two days... just can't seem to get enough of it. It is absolutely fantastic. (I also had never seen the entire show in it's entirety, from start to finish, until now. All I'd seen of it before this were choppy videos here and there from youtube)

Out of all of the DVD's I have of Iron Maiden; The Early Days, Live After Death, Raising Hell, Rock in Rio, Death on the Road, Flight 666, En Vivo... Maiden England is definitely my favorite of the bunch.

Major expense plus expectation the market would not allow good return on investment.
In the '80s there was no Internet and not many people I knew actually bought their own videos.
Not always the case. Queen released 5 live videos in 5 years in the 80s. They always felt that the live show was the essence of what the band was about. You could easily say the same about Maiden. If they're that popular when it comes to ticket sales then surely it's not a financial risk to record each tour?

I was still two years away from being born when this concert took place... but my dad (who saw Maiden just about every tour in the 80's) always told me that this was his favorite concert/tour of Iron Maiden. He saw them when they came to St. Louis, MO, on June 17th, 1988. He still had his ticket stub (and gave it to me several years ago). I have it locked up in a safe haha

He would have loved this DVD, it's a shame it didn't come out before he passed away. Would have absolutely loved watching it with him!
Great story. Fantastic stuff. I'm sure he's watching it, somewhere. :)x

After watching the whole thing several times now I think it's kinda bitter/sweet...

The documentary - which was the thing I was looking forward to seeing most - wasn't as good as the previous two. I did like the the focus on Somewhere in Time, I loved the humour with regards to the stage clothes, shell suits and Spinal Tap-esque set etc and it was graet to see a bit of footage from 86-87. But surely it could have had more content?! More from Martin Birch. More from Ross Halfin. Clips of the Adrian demo's he talked about. Nice to hear from Rod about the SIT cover but get Derek Riggs to go through it. I know he's a bit odd and they don't use him any more but if you're going to do something, do it properly. It all seemed a bit half arsed. More amusing than the previous 2 but not informative enough. And who the hell put the whole thing together? A 14 year old kid on Powerpoint? The small screens, that grainy film effect, the way the album covers were depicted. Seriously, really poor. The Early Days DVD, which is nearly 10 years old now, looks better than that! This era of my favourite band merits so much more...

As for the concert... I remember getting this video for Christmas in 1989 and it was the best present I ever had. I wore the thing out. In hindsight, I honestly think the way it was shot falls short of the mark. I would much rather see the whole thing done the way Jim Yukich shot LAD. I know I'm in a minority but Donington 88 was the moment to capture that tour. A never-to-be-repeated moment. Donington 92 was shot in a more interesting concept, but the material, the overall performance and the lack of Adrian killed all that... Someone said earlier on the Forum that Bruce sounds dodgy on Donington 88. His voice on Run to the Hills on the unreleased encores is far worse than anything on the Donington 88 recording.

And that's my era done... As for Janick, Blaze and the lack of Mr Smith, whatever they throw out for that period will do nothing but depress me...

*cranks up Live After Death, and shakes head in slight disappointment*...

Not always the case. Queen released 5 live videos in 5 years in the 80s. They always felt that the live show was the essence of what the band was about. You could easily say the same about Maiden. If they're that popular when it comes to ticket sales then surely it's not a financial risk to record each tour?

Queen was a huge band in the 80s though, they played to crowds of 130, 000 in Brazil when Maiden was starting out at the Rainbow Theater. When Maiden did Hammersmith Odeon in 82 to a couple of thousands Queen played Milton Keynes, 65,000 people.

I think Maiden did release a lot of video stuff, compared to other bands their level they certainly did :)

Back