Maiden England '88 + History Part 3 coming March 25th!

I guess it's a better safe than sorry attitude. Spoilers are by no means obligatory here, but if there's a consensus to use them out of respect for others, that's fine with me.

You don't go to very many festivals, do you?

I've been to lots of great festival shows. Usually though smaller bands in front of smaller stages. Like most of the shows I've been to at Wacken for example. The experiences I have had with big headline bands at 100.000 + attendance European festivals have not been very good though :confused: Maybe I've just been unlucky..

Aha! So the interviews for the documentary were made during the US tour in the summer.

I haven't seen the whole documentary but so far it has given answers to many questions - why they changed studios while recording SIT, why synthesizer sound is so hard to recreate live, etc. It's great!

As no DVD is near me yet ( :( ), I decided to give the CD a listen, and noticed that the whole Bruce speech before SSOASS was removed (and yes, it was present on the original Maiden England CD).

As no DVD is near me yet ( :( ), I decided to give the CD a listen, and noticed that the whole Bruce speech before SSOASS was removed (and yes, it was present on the original Maiden England CD).

Bummer. It is a shame they remove that stuff and why, to save space on the media or what? They definitely should have kept in his speech on Coleridge and The Queen on Live After Death and > THIS < should definitely also have been kept on the Rock In Rio CD/DVD :D

N149.jpg

Plreaaaaaasssssseee, use spoilers.
closedeyes.gif

Now that more people have it, a few thoughts:
The setlist is really good. I had seen this before but it had been such a long time that I forgot what songs were on it. There are only a few songs that are already on LAD. Plus we get songs from older albums that haven't been seen on DVD yet (Still Life, Die With Your Boots On). It's almost as if they set out to have a setlist that isn't completely different than that on the Powerslave tour. Which may actually be true. The performance is a lot better than I remembered and I thoroughly enjoyed it a ton, maybe more than LAD. Which is another thing, it really is a completely different video to LAD in nearly every aspect, which is one of the great things about it. Their recent setlists have gotten kinda samey, especially on tours that have DVDs. Nearly half of Death On The Road, for example, is already on Rock In Rio.

Disc two isn't as plentiful as the past history DVDs, but that's no big deal. The doc was awesome and really in depth. Way to end on a cliffhanger too :p. Hopefully they won't take as long to get the next installment out. I especially liked seeing all the SIT era talk and footage, since it always gets snubbed when dealing with 80's Maiden.

12 Wasted Years seemed a bit redundant, since most of the clips have already been put on DVD, but I'm glad they included it, for completion sake. Really, my one complaint about this set is that they didn't use the original Maiden England artwork. Especially since The Trooper is nowhere to be found on this DVD!

It ain't gonna happen though. But I totally agree with you (& others) Mosh --if the mix on SiT is really all Adrian (haven't listened to the documentary yet), then Maiden would be, as you say, better served by Adrian getting more heavily involved in the production of albums. It's been mentioned (in other parts of the forum) before, in regard to Adrian wanting more reverb etc, but SiT really is all production. Maiden have written stuff as good before & after --but never, in my opinion, have they mixed it any better.

Really looking forward to watching this...

That post was in reply to Sixes, but... yeah, I've been to a few.

I guess this quote doesn't have to be in spoilers. :)
The performance is a lot better than I remembered
Same here. I hadn't seen it in a while and I am especially impressed by the rhythm section. Harris and McBrain were in their prime. At times I even go "Who the fuck are Lee and Peart?!", so fuckin' good it is. As soon as Moonchild came in, I turned into another harrisdevot. What a monster on that bass. The best, simply the best. What a power, speed, dexterity and melodic feel. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

And when I saw
SSOASS,
I got even some goosebumps thinking
"Holy shit, I am going to see this live!!". For years, I never counted on it.

Back