Maiden England '88 + History Part 3 coming March 25th!

SSOASS,
I got even some goosebumps thinking
"Holy shit, I am going to see this live!!". For years, I never counted on it.
Oh yea. It was definitely one of the highlights of the tour last summer. Never thought they'd bring it back. The Seventh Son songs do sound great on Maiden England, even Can I Play With Madness, which doesn't come off good live at all in my opinion, was good.

I totally agree Forostar --the whole sound/tone is just fucking awesome! Steve (or at least his bass) is, as you say, a monster. He's not half bad in 2013, too! (Or I'll soon find out.) Probably their prime, as you say though.

This would probably be best answered by older members, but why was filming multiple tours in a row so unheard of in the 80's? I notice this the most with Rush and Maiden. These bands have 1 or 2 really big concert videos from their prime and that's it. Then we get to the 00's and they release a DVD for virtually every tour.

AC/DC is another good example, although they still don't release live videos often

I'm sure you can guess by now that I finally got my copy. :D Seeing Maiden England before on my small dinky computer screen does not compare to now being able to watch it on a big screen TV, blaring the music through the speakers. It was truly amazing. I also thought the documentary was awesome too. It was in depth, like some of you were saying.

I loved some of the SIT tour footage they showed and the story about the inflatable Cyborg Eddie was pretty funny. I will say that I thought the way it was shot was kind of off. The interviews with the guys in the small boxes while looped footage of them playing from Maiden England on the took up the rest of the screen. I liked how part 1 and 2 were shot but then again, it doesn't hurt to try for something a little different.
(I don't even know if any of that needed to be put in spoiler mode but I did it just in case.)

I haven't watched 12 Wasted Years yet but I've seen it before so it's not going to be anything different but I'll still of course watch it for watching sake. Same with the music videos.

Yea, I didn't like the small boxes thing. I thought they would just do that for the first few minutes and then make it look normal. No big deal though.

Yea. It wasn't really something that bothered me while watching. It was more like, when it was over I thought, "they could've done without the small boxes and all the business with the clips."

I was pleasantly surprised about the amount of SIT talk. I'm glad they spent half the doc on it because I was worried they would just give it a few minutes before moving on to Seventh Son. If they pair No Prayer and Fear of the Dark in a similar fashion, then I'll be a happy Mosh.

I was a bit concerned about that too. I was thinking "It's only 40 minutes? They're probably not going to spend alot of time on SIT then." but they definitely did which was awesome. They would almost have to do the same for No Prayer and FOTD. It would be really stupid of them not to.

This would probably be best answered by older members, but why was filming multiple tours in a row so unheard of in the 80's? I notice this the most with Rush and Maiden. These bands have 1 or 2 really big concert videos from their prime and that's it. Then we get to the 00's and they release a DVD for virtually every tour.

AC/DC is another good example, although they still don't release live videos often

Major expense plus expectation the market would not allow good return on investment.
In the '80s there was no Internet and not many people I knew actually bought their own videos.

Major expense plus expectation the market would not allow good return on investment.
In the '80s there was no Internet and not many people I knew actually bought their own videos.
So it costs less to film shows now? I know you can record shows more easily but some DVDs (En Vivo) have a lot of big equipment.

I had also figured that internet would discourage DVDs. Why buy Maiden England when you can watch it on youtube for free? But I can definitely see how it works both ways.

I haven't watched 12 Wasted Years yet but I've seen it before so it's not going to be anything different but I'll still of course watch it for watching sake. Same with the music videos.
For me it's different because finally now we have subtitles and I can hear every word that was said. I was 16 when I saw this vid for the first time and then -but with some persons (e.g. Keith Wilfort, Vic Vella, and even 'Arry!), still now- I've had some trouble with the fast dialect.

So it costs less to film shows now?
Yes. Same for audio production. You can get away a hell of a lot cheaper (0n the other hand, the rates that a studio can normally charge has gone down. A lot).

Yeah I could imagine it being more of a "big deal" back in the 80s. I also read that when they put out Live at the Rainbow on VHS it was rather innovative and one of the first rock/metal concerts released on home entertainment video but I can't seem to find a source for it now.

I actually quite liked the small box interview thing because it brought the band members as they were in 1986/1988 more in focus...there were some clips and pictures I'd never seen before and thought were cool/hilarious. I know what the geezers look like nowadays, no need to dwell on them talking in the bottom left or right hand corner. :D

I was a bit concerned about that too. I was thinking "It's only 40 minutes? They're probably not going to spend alot of time on SIT then." but they definitely did which was awesome. They would almost have to do the same for No Prayer and FOTD. It would be really stupid of them not to.

I perfectly agre with you, and I hope that they will develop the whole History series so that it actually covers every step of the band's story. My main concern is about Blaze era : it has almost been erased. But of course, before worrying, I should enjoy the reedition of Maiden England. I was still watching my old VHS on a regular basis (definetely my favorite Maiden video ever), but I'm pleased with the sound quality. The documentary is great. I absolutely love the passages on the clothes, and this story about the hand and the raised finger of the inflatable Eddie). They have enough humour to answer elegantly the criticism about them looking like Spinal Tap.

Yeah I could imagine it being more of a "big deal" back in the 80s. I also read that when they put out Live at the Rainbow on VHS it was rather innovative and one of the first rock/metal concerts released on home entertainment video but I can't seem to find a source for it now.

It didn't matter to me, I recorded it off MTV in 1982. :p

This was the deck I recorded it on;

Absolutely stunned at how good this video made me feel last night watching it. Just fucking fantastic to relive that night in 1988 at the Ocean Center in Daytona Beach FL. What a setlist at the NEC, Still Life, and Killers what a rare treat with Bruce on the mike. Always prayed for that song at the 80's tours down here in Central Florida when Maiden made regular visits, never got the song and now with Maiden Enland 88' I have it.
Sound is fantastic and the speed and pacing of the songs makes my blood race. And the Bass is huge. STOKED !
Cool to see all the jean jackets with patches in the crowd as my teenage sons are rocking jean vests now to High School, one with a big first album back patch and the other with a Piece of Mind. The are rocking them onstage with their band at their gigs and getting so much positive feedback from todays generation.

OriginalJud, you're lucky this DVD brings you back then. As for me, it looks as my the 1988 Paris gig has been replaced in my memories by the images of the Birmingham show. I can remember where I stood, the pleasure I got from the show, but really nothing particular of the band itself. I actually remember much more clearly the 1986 gig.

I saw this tour originally in San Diego and Los Angeles ... great DVD, they did an excellent job on it. I have not gotten the LP in the mail yet, hope it arrives today. FWIW, the entire album is on Spotify now.

Back