Maiden England '88 + History Part 3 coming March 25th!

I'm not sure what footage would exist from the Somewhere On Tour. If I'm remembering correctly, only one show (in Philadelphia) was filmed, and the odds of being able to find the source tapes for that are approximately 0 (and the existing footage being passed around is low quality and warped in places).

But I would've liked to see some footage from Donington. Surely that's got to be out there, right? I mean that's where they got the footage for the video of "The Clairvoyant".

They recorded the SIASL vid at Sheffield City Hall, The Clairvoyant at Donington and TETMD at the LA Forum. Surely there would have been extra footage from these promo shoots? There's loads of YouTube footage of interviews and promo stuff from that era, why not collate it into one huge documentary? I can't believe that no one ever recorded the odd bit of studio footage with a video camera in the '80s?! Imagine a Powerslave or Seventh Son equivalent of the AMOLAD bonus dvd!!!???!!! It's great when Maiden release ANY dvd but this seems a far cry from the great stuff on the 'Early Days'. I can only imagine the ommision of Donington 88 means a release dedicated to Donington performances may follow. After the 5th time this coming summer, there should be enough footage for something special.

I didn't know there was a demand for Donington 88. There's a chunk of it on Eddie's Archive and it really isn't that good. Maiden England is more than enough I think.

I didn't know there was a demand for Donington 88. There's a chunk of it on Eddie's Archive and it really isn't that good. Maiden England is more than enough I think.

I've gotta be honest - and this may be nostalgia, as it was hearing this that got me into Maiden - but I think Donington 88 is incredible. He sounds in better nick there than he did at the end of the year, they'd had a bit of time off on the run-in to Donington. Plus, the crowd sounds INCREDIBLE! That version of Wrathchild is immense. As a spectacle, with 107,000 people there, there is no contest! I've seen Maiden 3 times at the NEC and it's never as good as seeing them outdoors.

I'm just hoping that EMI and the band are holding some stuff back for the years after they retire. As a Pink Floyd fan, I've seen stuff trickle out over the years that people knew existed 30-odd years ago. Fingers crossed for more Maiden! :)

Does anyone know where you can get it in America, besides amazon? Its not at the local best buy and walmart.

I've gotta be honest - and this may be nostalgia, as it was hearing this that got me into Maiden - but I think Donington 88 is incredible. He sounds in better nick there than he did at the end of the year, they'd had a bit of time off on the run-in to Donington. Plus, the crowd sounds INCREDIBLE! That version of Wrathchild is immense. As a spectacle, with 107,000 people there, there is no contest! I've seen Maiden 3 times at the NEC and it's never as good as seeing them outdoors.
Yea, we'll just have to disagree there.

I agree on your first point Robert. Donington 88 was MASSIVE! first performance there, record crowd etc...But I would at any time prefer seeing them at a stadium or an indoor gig than on a big bumpy grass field, where the wind is carrying the sound around and the band appears as small dots on the stage :D

Does anyone know where you can get it in America, besides amazon? Its not at the local best buy and walmart.

Might want to check out other stores or the same Best Buy tomorrow... my local Best Buy (South County, MO) has them in, but can't sell them until tomorrow. So Best Buy's apparently do carry them, just maybe not yours, unfortunately. But check around, or like I said, the same stores tomorrow.

I agree on your first point Robert. Donington 88 was MASSIVE! first performance there, record crowd etc...But I would at any time prefer seeing them at a stadium or an indoor gig than on a big bumpy grass field, where the wind is carrying the sound around and the band appears as small dots on the stage :D

I guess, in my opinion, that it depends. Some outdoor gigs are spoilt for the reason you said but they can still sound great. There's something about being outdoors that adds to the vibe. If the weather is good, the sound is good etc, then I'd go with that. I saw them at Twickenham in 08 and it sounded great. I've seen Maiden at City Halls, Arena's, Stadiums and Festivals and the sound has always been good. If it's cold, pissing down and the sound is atrocious, then, yeah, I gues I'd take the NEC!

You don't go to very many festivals, do you?

My DVDs should be delivered by the end of this week and on Thursday our own Metal Hammer is out with the same Maiden feature, only translated. Goog thing I didn't get the UK one.

So, unless I am very forgetful, I have learned something new by watching the new documentary. Don't read if you want to see it yourself on the DVD!

We know that Adrian
left the band because of several reasons. Some of us say he mainly (or even only) left because of the musical direction Maiden took on No Prayer. I am one of the people who thought that he wasn't happy before that, since he didn't enjoy touring etc. But now something new and more concrete from Adrian himself. In relation to Maiden England (and the tour) Adrian said that the songs were played too fast. He had a discussion about it with Nicko. He was not happy about it. I even think he was not happy with Maiden England because of that. The speed drowned the life of the songs. He was so unhappy because of it, that he lost himself in that afterwards (he used other words; I need to put the literal citation here later. But right after that he said "And one year later I was out of the band!" So, this confirms what I thought. His bad experiences with the No Prayer sessions was the final drop, that overflew the bucket. And not the first drop as some have pretended.

But we know that it started a long time before that.We know that he was unhappy even by the time they were doing the SIT tour.

Well, I agree
even if not a word was mentioned about it on the DVD, I know it from other sources
but still I remember that some on this forum have found that of no importance
in relation to his leaving.
It was
only about the new musical direction; it was never Adrian's fault, it was Maiden's fault.
And this thing about the
speed of the playing.
I don't remember that he
ever linked it to his leaving, so directly (or even at all).

Actually, believe it or not, I'm really anticipating this one now.

I didn't think I'd be that excited. But now that I have it, I really can't wait for this day to be over so I can watch it.

Can I ask why we're using spoiler tags constantly here? Its not a tour and if you don't want to know whats on the DVD I'd assume you'd have the sense to stay away from this thread anyway, or skip the posts that seem to go into detail about whats on it.

Back