Maiden England '88 + History Part 3 coming March 25th!

Well, I wasn't expecting anything really private or intimate, but, you know, something about the "creative process" : the discussion about this bit or this one, the choices in terms of production. I don't know if I'm clear, but I got a lot of questions in mind, and I don't think I will ever get a clue about the answer. Anyway, Steve has always been reluctant in interviews to be too specific about songs, lyrics. He is clearly annoyed by this and doesn't bother to explain.
I'd love some details too and it's a shame that we can't find a lot of it. I don't know about the band being reluctant to reveal much, but I've always thought that the case is that statistically, people interested in production and songwriting are just a small percentage of DVD's target. I get the impression that what we get in these documentaries is pretty much "mainstreamized". You know, think of all the guys with "PLAY CLASSICS" signs at the concerts. I don't expect fans of this attitude (and that's majority in my opinion) to be insightive enough to enjoy a talk about all the production details. So instead we've got two twin documentaries about Ed Force One and touring itself (I'm talking about Behind The Beast's duplicating what we have in Flight 666)... I still regret that we didn't get any glimpse of TFF recordings when En Vivo came out.

Well, it's all just how I see things. I'm not saying it's all true.

I hope they will not only complain about the tours but also say something about the albums. This might be seen as nerd trivia by some of you but I wonder about things like: Why did they record the guitars and vocals for SIT in Holland instead of where the bass and drums were recorded (Nassau). First and last time that the album was recorded in two different studios (apart from Adrian's demo in TFF).

First and last time that the album was recorded in two different studios
Are you sure? According to Shirley's diary, (some?) vocals for TFF were recorded in Malibu, not Nassau.

And I'm also the kind of person that would like to read/hear about such details you mentioned. But as I said - it might be too detailed to interest broader audience, therefore it's unlikely to appear on any DVD.

I dunno. I'd absolutely love to have two things in these documentaries. First and foremost: let them talk music - gear, setups, techniques, style - I mean, that's why I love this band! I'm not asking to reverse-engineer their albums, but you know, give us a glimpse into how they do what they do. Second, is show us what's it like behind the scenes - beyond the shows and interviews and meetings with the fans. The stories behind all the photos splattered on the CD covers. This is what's interesting!

Ah, now gear and technique is something I'd really like to know more about. I didn't think they'd get that technical in the documentaries, that would be good

Why did they record the guitars and vocals for SIT in Holland instead of where the bass and drums were recorded (Nassau). First and last time that the album was recorded in two different studios (apart from Adrian's demo in TFF).

Exactly the kind of stuff I'd like to know. And just to mention another big question I have never found the answer to : Steve says he never do demos of his own songs (and I think Davey never does, so Adrian would be the only one). So, as he does not write music, how does he memorize and keep his more complex compositions.

To get back to the initial topic, I clearly remember the very first time I saw Maiden on TV : it was back in 1985, when french TV broadcasted Behind the Iron Curtain : it was an extraordinary thing to see those guys, who were just still pictures, move and act on a screen. Back in those days, anything on video was just great. But now, with the Internet, we get access to almost any TV broadcast in the worll, to an awfull lot of fan footage, often of good quality. We've all seen hours and hours of hysterical fans begging for an autograph, being shot with Bruce and getting a strange forced smile from Steve. So, these things we were eager for back in the 80s are of little interest right now. Many people want more. But I'm afraid Sroggy is perfectly right in assuming that the band is displaying exactly what the vast majority of fans are expecting from them.

I'm really not interested at all in the technical aspects. Info about gear or recording process is lost on me. I'd prefer to see and hear them speak on what inspired or influenced them in the writing of the music and what happened on tour (although anecdote-wise, I guess Maiden is one of the most boring bands out there), together with a bit on the impact these albums and tours had. Stuff like vault footage of fan interviews, media reports, and so on.

But then again, I guess I'm "the vast majority of fans", so what does that matter.

I'm with you on this one. I am one of these fans that are far more interested in the personal aspect of the whole experience rather than the technical. Gear? No, thank. I really don't get how the type of amps they use could be more interesting than a Melvin story.

Exactly the kind of stuff I'd like to know.
Yeah. Somewhere In Time and Seventh Son are such iconic albums soundwise and it surprises me that there's no particular audiophile research on them available. And the only place one could possibly find answers for this kind of questions, is dedicated press. Like magazines about guitars or sound production. But again, it's sort of a rare thing to see any Maiden coverage in them. Last year there was an interview with Adrian regarding PRR in one of the Polish guitar magazines. Unfortunately I don't have that issue... I've just looked through it. He wasn't particularly specific when it came to gear, but still it was more of a creative side and a bit of technical perspective than what we usually find in interviews with musicians. After all, the interview was in the neighbourhood of guitar and amps reviews, so you get the idea.

Steve says he never do demos of his own songs (and I think Davey never does, so Adrian would be the only one). So, as he does not write music, how does he memorize and keep his more complex compositions.
I don't know where I've read/heard it, but I clearly remember When The Wild Wind Blows being called "an idea from an old demo". So maybe he does sometimes. I've also heard him speaking about memorizing/writing down songs, but I don't remember the source either!:p He definitely said he's not educated in music and writes songs down in his own way. But don't quote me on that, I might have confused something. In the DoD and AMoLAD documentaries you can see sheets of paper covered with handwritten letters E, C, D etc. which surely stand for chords structure. Maybe that's the way.

I'm with you on this one. I am one of these fans that are far more interested in the personal aspect of the whole experience rather than the technical. Gear? No, thank. I really don't get how the type of amps they use could be more interesting than a Melvin story.
What I talked about can have to do with personal preferences. (E.g. a personal preference to try a technique, or to try a different studio). I am especially interested in the personal reasons behind a choice. Such reasons are as personal as inspirations, or are even consequences of inspirations.
Exactly the kind of stuff I'd like to know. And just to mention another big question I have never found the answer to : Steve says he never do demos of his own songs (and I think Davey never does, so Adrian would be the only one). So, as he does not write music, how does he memorize and keep his more complex compositions.
Steve records many ideas, but these are not "full" demos, like H does.

There a many details I'd like to know. I asked some to Adrian, but he didn't answer. :)
But indeed, I shouldn't expect these to land on the DVD.

I don't know about stuff like gear. I don't think I'd like a part of the History Of doc to be about it. I'm interested in things like what guitars Adrian used, but I couldn't care less about what's going on in Nicko's corner. I've seen some bands who have put stuff about gear as separate features; they also have these separated by member. So people like me can be selective in what they watch and those like Perun can just skip over all of it.

I think for studio technique and talk, the go-to DVD is the Classic Album series making of The Number of The Beast . Going too excessively into detail about gear doesn't fit a history of DVD.

I wouldn't say I am disappointed but I certainly would have liked more material. Maiden is saying goodbye to this era and in not so many years they'll call it quits. These History of DVDs, and of course their back catalog will be all they leave behind - so why not go all out and make these DVDs truly special and cram them with as much stuff as possible? - make them 4 Disc editions if possible. They could even release crappy grainy home videos (sometimes this is the best stuff), I don't care if the quality is semi-crappy if it's rare unseen stuff. There won't be a second chance to come out and do another run of official history DVDs in the future so do it right now and give the fans as much as possible.

On a side note, why oh why could they not leave the original Maiden England cover on there? (goes for the current tour designs too) Whats a crappy new version of the 83' Trooper doing there? Maiden have no respect/understanding for their own chronology -_-

No one spoke of going too excessively into detail about gear, apart from the opponents. Still, I can't resist saying:
I think for studio technique and talk, the go-to DVD is the Classic Album series making of The Number of The Beast . Going too excessively into detail about gear doesn't fit a history of DVD.
+
I wouldn't say I am disappointed but I certainly would have liked more material.
=
Contradictory

I would like more material but not excessive information on gear since it doesn't fit a History of DVD. But stuff like Donington 88 footage. Other gig footage. TV interviews, home videos, TV specials. Old 88-89 TV tour spots, Nicko on the sooty show (why not?) would...

Cleared it up?

Almost.

If there is more of the footage you prefer available instead of newly recorded in-depth talk, then I can imagine you like to choose what you prefer.

On the other hand, if it is not available, is it that unrealistic to have more in-depth talk on the albums instead?

Or do you really say: if I can't have what I want, then rather nothing. And I'll also be disappointed if there is no more material. o_O

They can do what they want, its not my release y' know. I'm telling you what I would like to see more of. You are making things complicated Foro :lol:

Back