Maiden Albums: Head to Head

Vote for your favourite song from each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
'The Assassin' is a dreadful song, 'Fates Warning' is mediocre but up against a poor b-side and 'Run Silent, Run Deep' is really good and the highlight of the album.

My only votes for No Prayer were for Fates Warning and Mother Russia. Because the B side isn't good and because I've never liked nor enjoyed To Tame a Land.

I'm really suprised by the Hooks in You hatred. Quest for Fire definitely should not be that far ahead.

I mean - the "young Earth creationism " song wins against the "sexual / edgy" song by such a large margin? Is this forum made of fucking Protestants only, or what? :D

I was inclined to vote for "Hooks...", because it's a very fun song and I love it, but "Quest For Fire", if you take out the (stupid) dinosaurs lyric, is not bad at all, and musically it's miles ahead of "Hooks...".

IRYO, but the flow is way too bumpy and meandering, the vocal lines are incredibly annoying (especially the first two lines, dinosaurs or not) and the chorus is both rudimentary and annoying. I have a hard time taking it seriously, to be honest.

Both are fun songs, but not highlights if their respective albums by any means. It was a tough choice for me but I voted for 'Quest For Fire' as it flows better and I find it somewhat easier to listen to than 'Hooks In You' which has a nice upbeat, catchy chorus but the couplets are quite irritating with Bruce's raspy vocals.

After some relistening, I actually went against a few of my initial choices.

Where Eagles Dare - Tailgunner
Revelations - Holy Smoke
Flight of Icarus - No Prayer for the Dying
Die With Your Boots On - Public Enema Number One
Cross Eyed Mary - Fates Warning
The Trooper - The Assassin
Still Life - Run Silent, Run Deep
Quest for Fire - Hooks in You
Sun and Steel - Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter
I Got the Fire - Kill Me Ce Soir
To Tame A Land - Mother Russia

It was very hard to go against Flight of Icarus, but man, I've always championed No Prayer (the title track) as one of the hidden gems in Maiden's discography. I'm putting my money where my mouth is. Also, no doubts about voting for Mother Russia instead of To Tame a Land, which I've literally never liked.

No contest whatsoever in that round — 10-1 f0r PoM over No Prayer.

Up next, the debut versus Powerslave :hello:

Oh man. Some of these are brutal. Went 6 - 4 in favor of Powerslave but a few were very close.

8-3 for Powerslave, with the 3 from the debut being "Phantom..." (obviously), "Sanctuary" and "Women In Uniform".

7-4 for the debut. These are the Powerslave picks:
- The Duellists
- Powerslave
- Mission from 'Arry
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Prowler vs Aces High
Remember Tomorrow vs 2 Minutes to Midnight
Running Free
vs Losfer Words
Phantom of the Opera vs Flash of the Blade
Burning Ambition vs The Duellists
Transylvania vs Back in the Village
Strange World vs Powerslave
Sanctuary
vs King of Twilight
Charlotte the Harlot vs Rainbow's Gold
Women in Uniform vs Mission From 'Arry
Iron Maiden vs Rime of the Ancient Mariner

6-5 for the debut. 'Powerslave' is a substantially better album but the b-sides swung it for the debut. Without the b-sides 'Powerslave' wins 4-3.

Back