Maiden Albums: Head to Head

Vote for your favourite song from each pair

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Perhaps not. I phrased it differently and it was especially said to people who (openly) prefer Prowler '88 over the original.

Just kidding, didn't think that was directed to me. Anyways I don't prefer '88 re-recordings because the polish and the voice doesn't fit. The calm part of Charlotte sounds pretty dull. However I do think that BQOBD has a lot more energy than Prowler in any rendition.

I don't particularly care for Prowler or Be Quick Or Be Dead. Both are among their weakest openers and a lot of the criticisms for one could easily apply to the other.

88 version of Prowler is interesting, I don't really like or dislike it but it's a nice oddity. The decision to redo some of their older work probably came two years early though.

The decision to redo some of their older work probably came two years early though.

Or 3 years too late. Would have really liked to hear some Di'anno tracks with the POM/Powerslave sound. That era would fit that early material better than the synth-ed up '88 band.

Not a fan of Prowler '88 because I think the original thinner crunchier sound fits the song better than the mushy low-end guitar sound of the SS era.

This thread is bound to bring up some good, interesting debate with plenty of diverse opinion and insightful analysis. I would be surprised, however, if it features anything as downright clownish as Monsieur Diesel's comment on Remember Tomorrow. So surprised would I be that I may consider making a video for y'all of me eating my own foot.
Although, if Age of Innocence wins it's particular duel I may regret these words....

I love "The Apparition", and I say you're wrong about "Remember Tomorrow". Now what? :p

-----------------------------------

Phantom is undoubtedly the best song on the debut, and possibly the single most important song in Maiden history - it paved the way for the epics to come. That said, I think it fits in well with the original. IM is the work of a band with most of the right ingredients, on the right path, just a few things to "iron" out. They would finally master the epic with Rime, but Phantom is a good stepping stone towards that.

Remember Tomorrow is just bland. It's bad (by Maiden standards) because it's really unmemorable. I don't actively seek it out. Like any other of the meh Maiden songs, it's all right when you're listening to it, but it does nothing for me. I prefer Strange World and even Prodigal Son over it. Both are at least interesting. Remember Tomorrow is not.

I find the lyrics on "Remember Tomorrow" to be quite touching, and it's the very first Maiden song to venture into the darker and more depressing sound they would explore later on The X Factor. And I even think "RT" is better than most tunes of the same kind on TXF, like "2 AM". It got an 8 here from me, and it's certainly earned it. Maybe I'll give it a 9 later on, who knows?

Remember Tomorrow would be nice if there was more to it. What we got, though, is merely a ballad song with bland soft guitar and a bland heavier riff. Nothing special.

Back