Maiden’s political silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listen, I'm no expert in the subject, I come from Europe and have no relation to Israel whatsoever,
Then it's hypocritical to criticise musicians for having an opinion
but I do know that there's a pattern with Mr. Waters, which is, if you prefer to say, clearly anti-Israel.
He's not anti-Israel. He opposes the illegal occupation of Palestine. So do many Jews.
I'm not anti-Israel, I'm not anti-Russia, I'm not anti-Ukraine, these are all countries that have a right to exist.
Palestine also has a right to exist. Why should Israel's right be at the expense of Palestine?

...and Blackie Lawless (from Blabbermouth):

"Actually, for combined radio, downloads and ticket sales, Moscow is W.A.S.P.'s biggest market in the world. I remember many nights after shows there and I would stay up until dawn with the rock journalist and they would tell me stories about the old days when the Iron Curtain was still up. They told me they would smuggle in scratched up vinyl records into freezing cold basements of houses and listen to our first album there in secrecy. Knowing if they were caught they would be taken away to jail. The looks of fear still on their faces as they told these stories touched me greatly, and I'll remember them and the people that told them the rest of my life. So with great sadness, to all our friends and fans there we say, with truly heavy hearts,

"'Dasvidaniya old Friends….Dasvidaniya' (meaning: goodbye)

"I realize as I write this, most likely, I will never be able to go back.

"Regardless of individual political beliefs, or who did what to whom years ago for whatever disgusting reason, the images that are coming out of Ukraine scream for themselves. The total degradation of human beings. The word I keep gritting through my teeth is 'Obscene'. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING can justify this invasion and or occupation by Russia of the Sovereign Nation of Ukraine. Those 'obscene' images of watching children, babies, the elderly, the infirm and ordinary civilians, also by no fault of their own, being utterly destroyed, displaced and the lives of an entire nation uprooted and forever changed, for no other reason than simple, godless selfishness. By a bully. And why does the bully do it? .....Because He CAN!

"It's reported Putin's desire to annex Ukraine is because of historical significant to the old Russian Empire. I get that. But the world changes. I can tell you from being part Native American Indian (Blackfoot) that sometimes you lose your land. Period! It's just the way it is. So you move on, or die.

"I've written here about the sanctity of our First Amendment. Something both Ukraine and Russia have never known, and is dangerously close to vanishing in America. I hope one day the Ukrainian people will be able to embrace that one precious Freedom for themselves, in their own land. Because if they do, the other freedoms will follow. I do not know if anyone in the Ukraine will ever be able to read any of what is written here. But if any can, we want them to know, the world is with them.

"Today, I am Ukrainian. I am a Ukrainian First. I put the Nation of Ukraine First. I put the people of Ukraine First.

"'Godspeed', meaning, 'good fortune or, for a safe journey'.

"Sincerely, Godspeed. Слава Україні!- Glory to Ukraine!"

...and Blackie Lawless (from Blabbermouth):

"Actually, for combined radio, downloads and ticket sales, Moscow is W.A.S.P.'s biggest market in the world. I remember many nights after shows there and I would stay up until dawn with the rock journalist and they would tell me stories about the old days when the Iron Curtain was still up. They told me they would smuggle in scratched up vinyl records into freezing cold basements of houses and listen to our first album there in secrecy. Knowing if they were caught they would be taken away to jail. The looks of fear still on their faces as they told these stories touched me greatly, and I'll remember them and the people that told them the rest of my life. So with great sadness, to all our friends and fans there we say, with truly heavy hearts,

"'Dasvidaniya old Friends….Dasvidaniya' (meaning: goodbye)

"I realize as I write this, most likely, I will never be able to go back.

"Regardless of individual political beliefs, or who did what to whom years ago for whatever disgusting reason, the images that are coming out of Ukraine scream for themselves. The total degradation of human beings. The word I keep gritting through my teeth is 'Obscene'. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING can justify this invasion and or occupation by Russia of the Sovereign Nation of Ukraine. Those 'obscene' images of watching children, babies, the elderly, the infirm and ordinary civilians, also by no fault of their own, being utterly destroyed, displaced and the lives of an entire nation uprooted and forever changed, for no other reason than simple, godless selfishness. By a bully. And why does the bully do it? .....Because He CAN!

"It's reported Putin's desire to annex Ukraine is because of historical significant to the old Russian Empire. I get that. But the world changes. I can tell you from being part Native American Indian (Blackfoot) that sometimes you lose your land. Period! It's just the way it is. So you move on, or die.

"I've written here about the sanctity of our First Amendment. Something both Ukraine and Russia have never known, and is dangerously close to vanishing in America. I hope one day the Ukrainian people will be able to embrace that one precious Freedom for themselves, in their own land. Because if they do, the other freedoms will follow. I do not know if anyone in the Ukraine will ever be able to read any of what is written here. But if any can, we want them to know, the world is with them.

"Today, I am Ukrainian. I am a Ukrainian First. I put the Nation of Ukraine First. I put the people of Ukraine First.

"'Godspeed', meaning, 'good fortune or, for a safe journey'.

"Sincerely, Godspeed. Слава Україні!- Glory to Ukraine!"
I honestly never figured that the guy who sings Fuck Like A Beast would write with such eloquence.

A guy who worked as a roadie at the gig posted it on the forum "Metal Ireland". Not the most plausible of sources I agree, but the poster was a genuine well known poster and the specifics of the police intervening in a situation like that was not out of the ordinary, so I have no reason to doubt the truth of it.

So what?

I still come back my previous point, why does it matter what Maiden do or don’t say about the Russia/Ukraine conflict? For that matter so what if they called it a situation.

Honestly it just comes back to what I said about how some fans have made being a fan of Maiden a big part of their lives and because they have strong opinions on what is happening they can’t understand why their favourite band doesn’t share their opinions and voice them.

what if Maiden all came out and said they supported putin, ever thought of that. What if they are all pro Russia, would that stop you or anyone else being a fan?

Maiden are a band who write and release music and play concerts. If anyone bigs them up to be a bigger and more significant part of their lives then that’s on them.

As a fan I have no idea what the actual people involved in the band and management are like outside of interviews I’ve read and watched. For all I know they could all be a bunch of pricks in real life and may all have opinions and and thoughts that wildly vary from my own. That’s why I don’t care if Maiden release any statement about anything going on in the world ever to be honest. I don’t want my thoughts about them as people to cloud my opinion of their music.

I’m a fan of their music and their concerts and that’s it. If you want them to be more than this in your life then prepare to be disappointed.

Yes, supporting a war criminal currently bombing hospitals and apartment buildings would absolutely stop me from continuing to be a fan.

I get that it doesn't bother you but please stop imputing your own lack of conscience or depth of thought about this issue on others. You are not the default.

This is the best summary on that topic.

People seem to idealise their favourite artists far too much.

Everyone should remember that they are not a group of political activists, but a musical group.

I honestly think it´s cringeworthy of all the bands pretending to care and writing those political statements and sporting profile pictures with their logos in colours of Ukrainian flag or just the flag itself.

Everytime I see bands doing that, I ask myself "where the f/-k have they been for the last 8 years of that conflict?"
The answer is quite evident... It wasn´t cool to speak about that "situation" for the last 8 years, but it is cool and marketable right now.

Honestly this marketing situation is very much alike bands mindlessly supporting BLM.
Yikes.

Deep Purple were indeed flown to the Kremlin to play a private show for Medvedev.

I read an article in The Economist about it at the time, was shocked to see Gillan etc. staring at me from the pages of that newspaper....

I worked in east Ukraine for a year at the start of the last war, and I can tell you that Deep Purple and The Scorpions have a popularity when it comes to hard rock that few others match. I mean in terms of radio play and everyday familiarity. I'm told this is similar in Russia. I think Joe Lynn Turner did a 'gerard depardieu' and relocated to Russia, if memory recalls. So it's very powerful that Purple speak out, more so than Maiden.

Yes, supporting a war criminal currently bombing hospitals and apartment buildings would absolutely stop me from continuing to be a fan.

I get that it doesn't bother you but please stop imputing your own lack of conscience or depth of thought about this issue on others. You are not the default.
Lack of conscience

Ok.

No I just know how to separate my own personal world views with the musicians I listen too.

Also I have the ability to accept other people have different views and opinions to mine. If Maiden as individuals supported Putin I would not stop listening to their music just because they have different political views to me.

It’s people like you that ram their opinions down others throats and condemn anyone that doesn’t agree with them that I just can’t get on board with. Even your comment here because you disagree with my opinion you’ve basically told me to stop commenting and that I’m not the default.

I never said I was the default. I was simply expressing my dismay at how so many people on this thread seem to give too much if a shot that their favourite band hadn’t jumped up and publicly condemned putin because it’s what THEY believe.

I

The fuck are you talking about? This isn’t a political issue, this is a fucking breach of human rights. This is like saying “Yeah I’d still support and listen to Maiden if they came out in support of Hitler because I respect that they have their own personal political opinions.” —— if their politics are about subjugating people to a power-hungry dictator then that goes beyond a difference of opinion, and you’re frankly dumb as hell.

My personal stance, which I’ll stay honest about, is that while I understand why people are disappointed in the band, it’s not something that I care enough about because I’m pretty sure I know where Maiden stand when it comes to war. If the invasion affected me more directly then I would might have the same view as a lot of the people on here. But from where I am, in a much more privileged situation admittedly, I think there are more voices that deserve to be heard right now than a millionaire rock band’s. Now if they were actively helping and donating to the Ukrainian cause, that’s something I do think they should do. But if they aren’t going to help then they might as well stay quiet, is my view.

But if they came out and said that they supported Putin and all the proceeds of their new mobile game Legacy of a Can of Trooper and the Beast-iversary 40 were going to support the Russian military, then yes I would stop buying their shit and seeing their shows. This isn’t just a difference of opinions. Would I stop listening? It’s hard to say for sure, but the music would be tainted for a long time.

There’s an ENORMOUS gulf between “Maiden being silent is fine,” vs “Maiden support Putin.” It’s that level of hyperbole that removes any chance to have good discussion over it.

Would it be cool if Maiden denounced Putin? Sure! Do I like them less if they don’t? Of course not! Would I like them less if they supported Putin? Very much so.

But none of that has happened. This entire thread is based off an announcement of two shows being cancelled. I also don’t find the opinions of millionaires all that important. Because no matter what, they have the means to escape/ignore/otherwise remove themselves from the situation.

Lack of conscience

Ok.

No I just know how to separate my own personal world views with the musicians I listen too.

Also I have the ability to accept other people have different views and opinions to mine. If Maiden as individuals supported Putin I would not stop listening to their music just because they have different political views to me.

It’s people like you that ram their opinions down others throats and condemn anyone that doesn’t agree with them that I just can’t get on board with. Even your comment here because you disagree with my opinion you’ve basically told me to stop commenting and that I’m not the default.

I never said I was the default. I was simply expressing my dismay at how so many people on this thread seem to give too much if a shot that their favourite band hadn’t jumped up and publicly condemned putin because it’s what THEY believe.

I
You just indicted yourself better than I ever could.

Man, step back here and look at this post. You're completely losing it because somebody doesn't agree with your opinion.

There's some very tacky jumping on the bandwagon going on general, totally insincere stuff from people who I don't think care at all. It would be beyond crap for Maiden to wade in at this point. That said, if they were touring right now, I bet something would be said....probably something noncommittal about how wrong war is etc.

Yeah! Punish the fans in a country because you don’t like their leader! Way to go, Ian! You’re such a hero. Loser.
Many of those fans support Putin. Russians for many years did nothing to change course of the country. Russian imperialism, etc. So, yes, I am really glad, that those fans will be punished. Man, your thinking is utterly primitive. Nation is responsible for the actions of it's president. Period. Look back what happened to german nation after 2 world war.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back