Maiden’s political silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helloween just posted this.

Dear fans,

due to the sad and tragic event of this war, we are sorry to have to cancel our shows in Russia for 2023. We have amazing fans in Russia and Ukraine - music unites us all.

Our thoughts are with all the innocent and good people, that have to take the unbelievable suffering from this insanity. We hope and pray for the wellbeing of all and a UNITED good time, with Ukrainian and Russian fans alike sometime soon, in a world that has finally come to peace and reason.

Love to all ! ☮️

Nicely done.
This is how Maiden should have worded their statement, something like this

Helloween just posted this.

Dear fans,

due to the sad and tragic event of this war, we are sorry to have to cancel our shows in Russia for 2023. We have amazing fans in Russia and Ukraine - music unites us all.

Our thoughts are with all the innocent and good people, that have to take the unbelievable suffering from this insanity. We hope and pray for the wellbeing of all and a UNITED good time, with Ukrainian and Russian fans alike sometime soon, in a world that has finally come to peace and reason.

Love to all ! ☮️

Nicely done.
Someone send this to Rod.

The two shows added in Latvia and Lituana are the best possible response. That's great to come and play there and now.

No. I just want them to speak out. They write songs about war and how devastating it is. One PR, that's all. Just, imo.

The two shows added in Latvia and Lituana are the best possible response. That's great to come and play there and now.

I might be missing something here, but in what way are the best possible response? They are just filling up their diary so the touring machine does not end up bleeding money. A huge tour like Maiden's incurs significant losses whenever shows are cancelled, as they still have to pay the wages of everyone involved in getting the show on the road.

This is how Maiden should have worded their statement, something like this
Someone send this to Rod.
Yeah, a statement "neutral" enough, "balanced" enough, toothless and spineless enough for Rod & Co., I guess.
How about a clear message along the lines of, e.g.,

If you support this criminal war and your criminal government you are not our fan and you can go the way that warship did.
#WestandwithUkraine

But we all know that's never gonna happen, don't we.

Yeah, a statement "neutral" enough, "balanced" enough, toothless and spineless enough for Rod & Co., I guess.
How about a clear message along the lines of, e.g.,

If you support this criminal war and your criminal government you are not our fan and you can go the way that warship did.
#WestandwithUkraine

But we all know that's never gonna happen, don't we.

Ah come on.

Zelinsky wouldn't even make a statement like that.

Jesus Christ some people need to have a word with themselves! Reading this thread it’s clear some people have built there lives around maiden and now because THEY feel strongly about the current Russia/Ukraine conflict they are literally jumping up and down because a BAND hasn’t made a statement about it. The BAND owe you nothing.

Get a grip, maiden are here to entertain us with their music and that’s it. If they want to speak out about issues fine if they don’t fine. As people i’m sure they have opinions on subjects but as a business it’s best they stay out if it in my opinion.

Jesus Christ some people need to have a word with themselves! Reading this thread it’s clear some people have built there lives around maiden and now because THEY feel strongly about the current Russia/Ukraine conflict they are literally jumping up and down because a BAND hasn’t made a statement about it. The BAND owe you nothing.

Get a grip, maiden are here to entertain us with their music and that’s it. If they want to speak out about issues fine if they don’t fine. As people i’m sure they have opinions on subjects but as a business it’s best they stay out if it in my opinion.
yeah, its a little pathetic tbh

Obviously I can only speak for my self. I don't really expect any unrelated statement by Maiden per se, but do feel somewhat bothered by the press release about the cancellation of the Moscow and Kyiv gigs. They called it a "situation", explicitly stated that it was the promoter who cancelled the gigs and not themselves, and then closed with a corporate statement about the safety of the fans which is just completely off, as if that was the main concern about playing a gig in those places. Yeah sure, you can read this as an expression of neutrality, but this neutrality is ill-advised in a time when the world's biggest corporations such as Apple or McDonald's are withdrawing from Russia. There are absolutely no negative ramifications for Maiden if they called the war by its name in their press statement. You can't really believe they're worried that they will lose the Russian market, as if those two gigs every other year plus an ever diminishing handful of people who legally buy their records there made any significant economic impact on them. That's why people are irritated.

Obviously I can only speak for my self. I don't really expect any unrelated statement by Maiden per se, but do feel somewhat bothered by the press release about the cancellation of the Moscow and Kyiv gigs. They called it a "situation", explicitly stated that it was the promoter who cancelled the gigs and not themselves, and then closed with a corporate statement about the safety of the fans which is just completely off, as if that was the main concern about playing a gig in those places. Yeah sure, you can read this as an expression of neutrality, but this neutrality is ill-advised in a time when the world's biggest corporations such as Apple or McDonald's are withdrawing from Russia. There are absolutely no negative ramifications for Maiden if they called the war by its name in their press statement. You can't really believe they're worried that they will lose the Russian market, as if those two gigs every other year plus an ever diminishing handful of people who legally buy their records there made any significant economic impact on them. That's why people are irritated.
So what?

I still come back my previous point, why does it matter what Maiden do or don’t say about the Russia/Ukraine conflict? For that matter so what if they called it a situation.

Honestly it just comes back to what I said about how some fans have made being a fan of Maiden a big part of their lives and because they have strong opinions on what is happening they can’t understand why their favourite band doesn’t share their opinions and voice them.

what if Maiden all came out and said they supported putin, ever thought of that. What if they are all pro Russia, would that stop you or anyone else being a fan?

Maiden are a band who write and release music and play concerts. If anyone bigs them up to be a bigger and more significant part of their lives then that’s on them.

As a fan I have no idea what the actual people involved in the band and management are like outside of interviews I’ve read and watched. For all I know they could all be a bunch of pricks in real life and may all have opinions and and thoughts that wildly vary from my own. That’s why I don’t care if Maiden release any statement about anything going on in the world ever to be honest. I don’t want my thoughts about them as people to cloud my opinion of their music.

I’m a fan of their music and their concerts and that’s it. If you want them to be more than this in your life then prepare to be disappointed.

So what?

I still come back my previous point, why does it matter what Maiden do or don’t say about the Russia/Ukraine conflict? For that matter so what if they called it a situation.

Honestly it just comes back to what I said about how some fans have made being a fan of Maiden a big part of their lives and because they have strong opinions on what is happening they can’t understand why their favourite band doesn’t share their opinions and voice them.

what if Maiden all came out and said they supported putin, ever thought of that. What if they are all pro Russia, would that stop you or anyone else being a fan?

Maiden are a band who write and release music and play concerts. If anyone bigs them up to be a bigger and more significant part of their lives then that’s on them.

As a fan I have no idea what the actual people involved in the band and management are like outside of interviews I’ve read and watched. For all I know they could all be a bunch of pricks in real life and may all have opinions and and thoughts that wildly vary from my own. That’s why I don’t care if Maiden release any statement about anything going on in the world ever to be honest. I don’t want my thoughts about them as people to cloud my opinion of their music.

I’m a fan of their music and their concerts and that’s it. If you want them to be more than this in your life then prepare to be disappointed.
This is the best summary on that topic.

People seem to idealise their favourite artists far too much.

Everyone should remember that they are not a group of political activists, but a musical group.

I honestly think it´s cringeworthy of all the bands pretending to care and writing those political statements and sporting profile pictures with their logos in colours of Ukrainian flag or just the flag itself.

Everytime I see bands doing that, I ask myself "where the f/-k have they been for the last 8 years of that conflict?"
The answer is quite evident... It wasn´t cool to speak about that "situation" for the last 8 years, but it is cool and marketable right now.

Honestly this marketing situation is very much alike bands mindlessly supporting BLM.

You guys are going way over the top with what you think I'm saying.

I'll put it this way: If Maiden hadn't scheduled any gigs in Russia and Ukraine, I wouldn't have expected anything.
They had gigs scheduled there though, and if you have business in the countries affected, this unfortunately compels you to make some sort of statement, at the very least if you're going to cancel a gig. And doing that in a way that reads like they're treating this as a technical difficulty for which the promoter is to blame simply is the least likeable way possible. Yeah, I get it, I'm always the first one to say that Iron Maiden is a corporation first and an artist second, but if fucking Apple can put a donation link for Ukraine on their corporate website, you can at least raise an eyebrow here.

So what?

Well said. We should love the art and appreciate the artists, but we shouldn't expect any artist to bend to our opinions. In fact wise artists let their art do the talking and don't try to tell other people how to think.

Speaking about Russia's invasion of Ukraine, Simmons said (as transcribed by BLABBERMOUTH.NET): "The world forever will be filled with good people and there are gonna be some bad people. My heart goes out to the people in the Ukraine who are bravely not lying down and trying not to inflame the conversation because Mr. Putin has clearly gone off the rails. And I feel for those Russian young soldiers, who, by the way, were not told — I have some friends in D.C., and we've had discussions — they weren't told they were going across the Ukraine. It was just a military exercise. Some of them thought they were war games, so they were totally unprepared for what's happening.

"Look, there's no simple answer, but if America wasn't here as a deterrent, let's say, even if it comes down to the extreme of nuclear apartheid, the world would be a different place, unfortunately, because even people who you sit across and have discussions with can turn into despots and dictators and decide to exert their will over others," he continued. "I'm using very soft language. What it really means is they become mass murderers because they want certain things. And Putin has joined that club, unfortunately, and I hope it can all come to a peaceful end. Now, in the meantime, we should do everything to punish that guy and the oligarchs and everybody else. But, of course, the by-product of that is innocent people in Russia have to bear the brunt of that — higher prices, the ruble is worth next to nothing. And so everybody suffers because one asshole decides he wants to do something like this. It's devastating. I don't even know how to respond. But only the military and the brave people of Ukraine… Wow. One of the world's most powerful regimes is finding out that they're at a standstill and they can't exert their force because the Ukrainians have decided not to lie down… They're not gonna give up. And there's a good chance Russia's gonna get their pants handed to them — perhaps not in a nuclear way, not militarily, but everybody there's gonna have to fight door to door, building to building. They're not gonna win."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back