Maiden’s political silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, things could always be worse -- you could imagine completely naked capitalism prompting them to introduce Russian and Ukrainian themed Trooper beers with a marketing campaign to "choose your side!", with the sales winner sticking around for a while in the beer lineup.

Mother Russia and Blood on the World's Hands could be the names

Reactions: Jer
As you may see in my post, I said I am glad they aren't political in some matters, therefore I probably must accept they aren't political in other matters as well.

In general, I appreciated they are apolitical.

I hate the term too, but it actually originated from the left. In fact, I think both sides still widely use it.
It did originate from the left, then the right made it a slur. Now it just gets thrown around and most people using it don't actually know what it means.

Screenshot_20220308-122907_Chrome.jpg

Wokeism is a popular ideology used mostly by privileged white women, who in later years like to travel to Africa to help poor black children understand the high culture of the Swan Lake.

I bet JudasMyGuide does not agree with some of us being alert to injustice in society...

Well, my day job consists of doing my best to protect employees from the whims of an employer in a Capitalist society and not to be discriminated in any way. I have been sending more than 10% of the income of my family to support the poor, the downtrodden, the forgotten, every month for years now and have been doing so even when we were barely managing, financially.

I openly called for action against Russia on the grounds of their forced oppression of a weaker state, Ukraine.

My economical stance is very much left.

So yes, the "some of us being alert" can go fishing in a midden heap for all I care.

Judas man, I think Ghost was teasing you.

I used to have the same idea for years, that right is some kind of disease or something. I may still feel a bit that way. But you know, in the end, there's nothing wrong of being right ;)

Well, my day job consists of doing my best to protect employees from the whims of an employer in a Capitalist society and not to be discriminated in any way. I have been sending more than 10% of the income of my family to support the poor, the downtrodden, the forgotten, every month for years now and have been doing so even when we were barely managing, financially.

I openly called for action against Russia on the grounds of their forced oppression of a weaker state, Ukraine.

So yes, the "some of us being alert" can go fishing in a midden heap for all I care.

That is good to hear. People using the term "woke" in a derogatory way are usually of a very different persuasion to you.

That is good to hear. People using the term "woke" in a derogatory way are usually of a very different persuasion to you.

In fact, I've heard it used both in the way you described it and in the sense of a criticism against the hypocritical use by companies and individuals to grab those sweet Millennial and Zoomer dollars by paying lip service to the issues people identify with.

The ideas of being woke, or left, or right, etc, are all meaningless terms. Being right doesnt automatically make you a racist or “blind to injustice,” and being left doesn’t automatically make you offended on behalf of someone else, or out to cancel and silence standup comedians and such for using a slur. There’s a healthy middle ground where everyone can feel appreciated and open to being loved without judgment and also be able to take a joke.

And all that said, I do not take Maiden’s silence on this issue as condoning Russia’s actions. I think that’s a silly conclusion to jump to. Additionally, there are many Russian citizens who don’t want this conflict either and have been vocal about it. They’re people too and I’m sure many are Maiden fans. Maiden is concerned primarily with their fan base because as an entity, that’s what they should be focused on. And I’d prefer they keep it that way. I don’t need Iron Maiden to personally express to me that they don’t agree with this conflict because I’m not immediately gonna jump to the conclusion that they’re onboard with it.

That's the thing though, and I've said it multiple times over. The idea is that isolation puts pressure on Russia, not to show the fans they are displeased with the invasion - We have already seen the fact that companies are pulling out or pausing their Russia business having that effect, since Russia threaten to confiscate factories. We have seen Russia being deeply upset over sports boycotts and we're not even going to get into the economic sanctions. The idea is to put pressure on Russia, and Maiden can do that in a small way as part of a huge and broad boycott or social media influencing campaign (lots of companies are alraedy doing that willingly) and, as Azas said, use their influence with their fanbase to you know, defend the democratic values they and the rest of us enjoy. There's a reason why Russia is cracking down on social media. They fear informed citizens.
Maiden wouldn't be able to to what they do without millions of people sacrificing and risking things. The rest of us are seeing groceries, gas, electricity and so on get more expensive, small and big business will suffer and it will impact us far more than it will do to six well off English gentlemen. And that's quite alright with me. But I am bugged by the fact that Maiden sits this one out, because democracy and freedom is built by all of us. It's not a buffé where you just get to dig in. Without people defending it, we are not going to have democracy, territorial sovereignty or an international rulebook. But hey, everybody else can do the work so others can enjoy the spoils. Why risk annoying a few russian fans.

Last edited:
Let's all stop complaining about Maiden's silence on Ukraine vs Russia... Musicians have no opinions to give about something that is not in their area of expertise. Maiden plays music, that's all. They have no obligation to give their opinion about what's happening. And, IMHO, they simply don't want to in respect towards their ukrainians and russians fans. They don't want to take sides, that's understandable. So, stop this stupid topic and close it. It's completely useless...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back