Lost In A Lost World

How good is Lost in a Lost World on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
One thing to notice. A long outro with several verses of sung lyrics isn't really something we've seen often from Maiden. Typically there's a line or two (like in Fear of the Dark, Brave New World or Paschendale) or a single verse (like in WTWWB and Empire of the Clouds). Here it is a significant part of the song rather than just a short outro.
Best part of the song for me. It feels completely fresh for Steve to do this.

I can see why opinions on this songs are different. You know what else makes fans go into different camps? Majority of 90s Maiden. There is intro similar to "Omega" (Bruce solo, but it's still 90s), there is main riff from "The Fugitive", chorus reminds me on something from "X Factor" and I can swear I heard something from "Virtual XI" there (to lazy to look now).

"Lost in a Lost World" may not be one of my favorite songs from this album, nevertheless, I wouldn't feel right dissecting things I don't like about it. Especially, when some of those things can be said about other songs on "Senjutsu" that I adore. How can I say it's too long, when there are 2 longer songs that I like more? Disjointed? Half of this album looks like it's been edited with butcher's ax and I still find it amazing. Here what's this songs has going for it (except that beautifully melodic bridge that is perfectly repeated again as an outro when the song slows down but more on that later):

This song (and album, in general) is so fu**ing diverse I find it impossible to "hate" it. You can be fan of any Maiden era/singer/style and you can even say "new album suckz!!11" but it's impossible to hate on all the album. If they listen really closely, I believe that every fan of this band can say about certain part on this album: "OK, that was cool. I really like that." Looking back on reviews, most of them said "It needs several listens" and now I can see what they were aiming for. There isn't any certain direction, style or concept - just a collection of great songs. More so, even some of those songs "feel" like a collection of great songs. Same as this one.

I can say I'm a fan of chorus or the main verses, but that bridge man... Even if the whole song oozes with 90s Maiden, that part has something "Starblind"-ish that made me instantly in love with it. And outro - now that's a proper outro. Take a highlight from a song (the bridge) and reminds us at the end what is all about, but with finesse. Most importantly, it elevates the parts that I don't really like which makes me hesitant to say that this song is "bad". I can't puff and huff about chorus when I know what was before it and what waits at the end.

Just like some other songs on this album are so majestic that they elevate these "lesser" ones.
That's how good this album is.

This song starts off really promising with a really great and moody intro. Unfortunately that is the only part of the song I like.

The verse riff is really annoying and I can't stand the odd sluggish drumbeat that Nico plays. Everyone was going on about how great Nico was playing on this album. I dont hear it all. He sounds really uninspired. The chorus reminds me of the something from Virtual XI. Then we get another typical X-Factor celtic type riff in the middle of the song. I wonder how many times Harris is going to recycle those riff.
Man I can't stand this song. It would be better if they just left off the album. It took 6 years for them to release this album, and this is the best Harris could come up with. I can't belive this is the same guy who wrote songs like Phantom of the Opera and Seventh Son of Seventh Son.
What happened?

I remember being really disappointed by Fear of the Dark when it got released. I thought songs like Weekend Warrior and The Apparition was weak. Well compared to this song they are masterpieces.

I hate to be so negative but this song is not for me.

3/10

This song was pretty good on the first listen, but after a few more listens I've really come to appreciate this one quite a bit. The intro creates a lovely atmosphere and leads to some cool riffs during the verses. The chorus is one that's easy to get into your head and the melody during the bridge before the first chorus and is later revisited during the hauntingly gorgeous outro is one of my favorite moments on the album, gives me goosebumps every time. As an American, the lyrics are quite powerful and touching especially at the end if you know your history. Very well done song.

I really like this one. It's a very classic Maiden tune and I absolutely love how reminiscent of TXF it is. <3
But I hate, hate, hate the intro. 6/10

Last edited:
  • The intro is a rip off of about 3 different songs
  • The rythm and main guitar melody later on, is a rip off of TROBB and the various parts sound glued together
  • The chords under the chorus is something between 2 A.M., The edge of darkness and maybe most of the songs off TXF
  • The outro is completely unnecessary and long.
However this is a song that turned into a guilty pleasure of mine and somehow has a great emotional overall vibe!

That's why I didn't put this suggestion in the WOTW thread. LIALW, on the other hand, really could do with an energy injection

I'm gonna go with a sad, pathetic 3/10.

This is literally everything I hate about Steve's writing rolled into one poorly-recorded song: boring repetition, stock riffs, and exceptionally poor melodies on the lyrics that are impossible for Bruce to sing. Oh, and did I mention guitars playing the exact fucking melody in the exact fucking pitch as the fucking singer?! This has to be one of the worst performances by Bruce in the history of the band. Not even the poorly mixed vocal layering can help (in fact, it hurts it quite a bit). The outro is terrible, as well. A black mark on the reunion period.

Positive note: I love the intro and it got me really hyped for the song. Unfortunately once the full band kicks in it's an absolute trainwreck.

The intro and outro are quite special, very moody and emotional, however the verses and chorus have some issues. Someone said in a different thread the vocal lines in the verse are weird or whatever, and I agree. I would still sat it's a decent song. Weakest on the album though.

This is probably the song that breaks my heart the most in the album. The intro is great, the verses that follow are not bad, and I love the chorus and the energy it has. But whatever is going on between 3:38-4:10 sounds completely wrong and I have to skip it every time.

"Lost in a Lost World" is easily the weirdest song on the album and one of the weirdest Maiden have ever released and yet I really, really love it for that weirdness. Let me explain:

I know a lot of people love the intro. To me it's not the highlight of the track, but I do like it a lot. The vocal effect with the acoustic strumming is eerie and cool (even though you can also here how cancer changed up Bruce's singing a bit, listening to how he pronounces the "sh" in "show"). Love the multi-tracked "ah"-s. That's a really cool performance. What the hell does any of this have to do with the rest of the song, though? It's most likely from the perspective of a Native American in modern day society facing discrimination and longing for the days of their ancestors before white settlers destroyed their lives; yet Steve keeps things a bit too abstract for my taste. Certainly weird, but is it not also cool? Yeah.

Then we hit upon a weird beat that feels like a flashback to the days of yore where we, the listeners, are travelers, arriving at a Native American settlement and viewing the lives its inhabitants lead. Images of children, buffalos, eagles, elders, the whole shebang - it's actually super effective but feels super weird coming after that intro. Also weird is the vocal melody, which almost doesn't know what it wants to do. Bruce holds some lines, dips down out of others; the best example is "They see the eagles as it floooooooo-oh-OH-ooooats. ON THE WIND!!!" Good god is that a clusterfuck of a line. And yet you know what? I actually really love it. I really do. It's so weird but this whole section actually works. You just need to embrace it for what it is. Then again, you could also say that about "The Apparition" and I love that song too. Hmmm....

Guitar doubles the vocal lead in the pre-chorus to a solid but unnecessary effect, and things change-up as we hit the chorus. Why the fuck is no one talking more about this chorus? It's so good! It's like a less energetic version of the one in "The Wicker Man", but has that same great sing-along vibe to it. The highlight of the song for me. I love belting alongside it.

Then we enter an extended instrumental section which hearkens back to the Blaze era. This part of the song feels like journeying through the old American wilderness, crossing over fields, exploring cracks and crevices on the sacred hills, it works super well even if it feels like we may have heard this years ago on The X Factor or Virtual XI. Which also goes to show that Steve remains the same musician he was back then. The only difference is his age. It's a bit weird that we've just entered this realm after the chorus, but it works so well.

Dave and Adrian also get to lay down some more solos, and both of them are super great. Perfectly add variety to the song in the ways that only they can do. In songs like this, Senjutsu almost feels like a return to the '80s in terms of guitar playing. H has always put 100% into his work, but man, Davey is killing it for the first time in forever too!

A longer chorus is our destination, before the shadows of the past slip away and Steve gorges himself on a lengthy final verse that repurposes the melody of the pre-chorus but this time far more subdued and quiet. The largest bulk of the song is a celebration of Native American culture, but this outro is a quick reminder of how much they've lost to the annals of time thanks to... my ancestors. People that I or Steve could have been in a different time. As weirdly lengthy as this outro may be, it also hits home the point that we have much to do to help Native American people gain the equality they deserve. A powerful message.

As strange as this song may be, it works super well. It was a highlight the first time I played through the album, then slipped a bit, and slowly rose back up. In writing this I've actually managed to talk myself into giving it an extra point than I was going to initially. It's fun, but also powerful. It's weird, but also, and this is true, really fucking good. 9/10

A soft acoustic opening with some nice lighter vocals flows into a soft harmonized choral section, then cuts into a bog-standard reunion Maiden marching rhythm. A strained and somewhat disconnected verse eventually gives way to a nice melodic pre-chorus with unfortunate doubling of the vocal melody on the guitar. This breaks into a stompy but not very compelling chorus, then a pointless 90s-Maiden-by-the-numbers interlude with occasional rhythmic breaks.

We eventually get a strong pair of solos, then some more pointless plodding before returning to the weak chorus. This flows into a nice atmospheric soft vocal section that’s a little too wordy for its own good, but ends the song on a relatively stronger note.

The song’s bookends are nice, but most of what lives between them is weak, uninspired, and/or recycled. Not a bad song, but merely an OK one. 6/10.

Who plays the acoustic guitar in the intro?

I would say Janick, because:

1) I think in the other song with an acoustic intro on the album (TWOTW), Adrian is the one who plays it... he co-wrote it. We will know for sure when they play the song live, although they might play the intro through the PA system because it's too short.

2) He is without a solo in this song.

Btw, Janick definitely plays the acoustic guitar (and the Strat) for the intro of TTM.

Naturally don't understand that song. Sounds like a mix or a tribute to x-Factor. 3-times repeated bridge was above the boiling point...

Back