Lost In A Lost World

Mega

Ancient Mariner
One thing to notice. A long outro with several verses of sung lyrics isn't really something we've seen often from Maiden. Typically there's a line or two (like in Fear of the Dark, Brave New World or Paschendale) or a single verse (like in WTWWB and Empire of the Clouds). Here it is a significant part of the song rather than just a short outro.
Best part of the song for me. It feels completely fresh for Steve to do this.

Spambot

Ancient Mariner
I can see why opinions on this songs are different. You know what else makes fans go into different camps? Majority of 90s Maiden. There is intro similar to "Omega" (Bruce solo, but it's still 90s), there is main riff from "The Fugitive", chorus reminds me on something from "X Factor" and I can swear I heard something from "Virtual XI" there (to lazy to look now).

"Lost in a Lost World" may not be one of my favorite songs from this album, nevertheless, I wouldn't feel right dissecting things I don't like about it. Especially, when some of those things can be said about other songs on "Senjutsu" that I adore. How can I say it's too long, when there are 2 longer songs that I like more? Disjointed? Half of this album looks like it's been edited with butcher's ax and I still find it amazing. Here what's this songs has going for it (except that beautifully melodic bridge that is perfectly repeated again as an outro when the song slows down but more on that later):

This song (and album, in general) is so fu**ing diverse I find it impossible to "hate" it. You can be fan of any Maiden era/singer/style and you can even say "new album suckz!!11" but it's impossible to hate on all the album. If they listen really closely, I believe that every fan of this band can say about certain part on this album: "OK, that was cool. I really like that." Looking back on reviews, most of them said "It needs several listens" and now I can see what they were aiming for. There isn't any certain direction, style or concept - just a collection of great songs. More so, even some of those songs "feel" like a collection of great songs. Same as this one.

I can say I'm a fan of chorus or the main verses, but that bridge man... Even if the whole song oozes with 90s Maiden, that part has something "Starblind"-ish that made me instantly in love with it. And outro - now that's a proper outro. Take a highlight from a song (the bridge) and reminds us at the end what is all about, but with finesse. Most importantly, it elevates the parts that I don't really like which makes me hesitant to say that this song is "bad". I can't puff and huff about chorus when I know what was before it and what waits at the end.

Just like some other songs on this album are so majestic that they elevate these "lesser" ones.
That's how good this album is.