Look For the Truth

How good is Look For the Truth on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Look For The Truth' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

Likewise, as tastes are pretty subjective and personal, I prefer to leave the appreciation of the song to a democratic vote and you can rate the song here. It would also be nice if you could let us know why you like/dislike it.

Cheers! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

'look For The Truth'

Well, some of the bandmembers seem to have some pretty nightmares. There are quite some songs about that topic, like Number Of The Beast and Dream Of Mirrors. The song itself is fairly average, they could have left out that ooohooo part.

'look For The Truth'

Maybe its just me, but I feel that look for the truth is one of the x factors most underappreciated songs. Lyrically, the song is a real treat - you can really feel the pain of the author of the song. ok, the oh oh oh bit can be a little annoying, but when you look at the verses, its lyrical genius.

Musically, the song is also very good. Granted, its not got the usual 6 years of solo's like most songs (not complaining about the solo's, I loves em all), but it is a real treat to listen to. Whenever I travel back and forth from university to home, you can guarantee that I will always have the x factor in my collection for the journey. That is down to songs like look for the truth.

Taffy

'look For The Truth'

The lyrics to this song are truly haunting. Drastic poetry- a rarity, even in Maiden's back catalogue (can anyone think of a song with comparable lyrics)? It's a bit fast-paced. The intro with the softer vocals are amazing, after that the song is, at best, above-average. A very good song nevertheless, and perhaps one of the most accessible of the album.

Rating: 4

'look For The Truth'

Quite good song, a nice build up with nice accoustic part by (probably) Janick. The middle section and solos are very good. It has one of the best vocal performances by Blaze in his career in Maiden.

'look For The Truth'

A powerful one for me, both lyrically and musically. Four and a half.

Musical ideas in this song are nothing new under the sun, but I like the subtle intro and the rocker tune it breaks into. Blaze really pulls the song, along with the simple main riff and, in my opinion, excellent chorus. It wouldn't be Maiden though, if we weren't in for a surprise - this time it's the solo part. Riff intro, nice little Dave plus double guitar bit at 4:15.

The lyrics are among the best ever. Rather than haunting, to me they are uplifting. Refreshing simplicity and honesty, and a bit of irony, all of which I can relate to absolutely. What can be more important and beautiful in life than to endure pain, kick the demons and seek truth again and again, right?

'look For The Truth'

[!--QuoteBegin-charlotte+Sep 28 2005, 11:16 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(charlotte @ Sep 28 2005, 11:16 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]What can be more important and beautiful in life than to endure pain, kick the demons and seek truth again and again, right?
[snapback]119524[/snapback]​
[/quote]

You're right there. In a way, deep inside, we are all masochists. Not in the way that we enjoy pain. In some way, it sometimes seems that we all seek pain only to experience the joy when it leaves you again.

'look For The Truth'

Some people seek the easy way but they rarely make a difference to the world [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'look For The Truth'

[!--QuoteBegin-charlotte+Sep 28 2005, 11:33 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(charlotte @ Sep 28 2005, 11:33 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Some people seek the easy way but they rarely make a difference to the world [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]119527[/snapback]​
[/quote]

That has to be one of the most truthful posts I have ever read on this board.

Re: 'look For The Truth'

The first time I listened to 'The X Factor' (maybe 6 months ago) I really didn't like this one. It was too slow, and those ''ooohh-oh-oh-ohhh'' parts were a little annoying and it didn't stand out in any way. But now I really appreciate this one as one of the best songs by Iron Maiden, atleast in the 90's, the only reason is: the lyrics. I can't really think of any Maiden song that have such depth as this one. Sure, 'Hallowed' and several others have good lyrics, but the lyrics to this one are just badass!!

The only thing that drags this song down is the ''ooohh-oh-oh-ohhh''.

Not perfect, but almost: 4,5/5

Daily Song: Look For the Truth

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Look For the Truth

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This song has never really clicked with me. It's decent enough, Steve is fantastic, and Blaze is very strong and emotional on the track, but it doesn't quite work. 6/10.

Re: Daily Song: Look For the Truth

The dark slow intro is one of Maiden's best, better than the previous song, but again - nothing special.

6/10, but it's more like between 6 and 7.

The lyrics are fantastic in my opinion. But the start-stop flow of the riffs gets a bit repetetive as does the "Ooohh" part. When the guitar solos kicks in it reminds me of something from Fear of The Dark. The intro was good, the lyrics great - but when the song finishes you wish they had done something more with this. 5/10

I particularly like the way Blaze gives the lyrics here a real punch, brings a lot of force to the song. The beginning is also rather good. Overall, a pretty interesting song. 7/10

SixesAlltheway said:
....the start-stop flow of the riffs gets a bit repetetive as does the "Ooohh" part.

Agreed, I've never liked that aspect of the song. The lyrics are good and I love the beginning of the song, the solos are also good. But I feel it is a step down from the songs before it on the album, thus a 7.

This is my least favourite song from The X-Factor. I really like the intro, nothing wrong with it, in fact it's the best part. However, everything that comes afterwards doesn't feel that right.

There is a uplifting, happy tone (especially in the hoo, hoo hoo part) which doesn't grab me as much as the other stuff on the album. Another problem I find the somewhat stiff sounding drumming by Nicko.

Also, after the solos the song ends a bit uninspired, maybe it would have been better if there was another verse (and chorus).

I have been doubting for days (yes I prepare well guys!  :D ) if I'd give a 6 or 7 and in the end I'll go for a grade just under 6,5 --> so it'll be 6.

While I am writing this, my son showed his disagreement and danced(!) while this song came out of the speakers.
It was filmed, and if I'll try upload it later.  :)

Forostar said:
Another problem I find the somewhat stiff sounding drumming by Nicko.

The same goes for a huge part of Judgement of Heaven, where the drumming becomes quite monotonous after a while. (But that song, as a whole, is better than this one).

I hear that a bit different. Look For the Truth has a certain "swinging" groove which needs a certain feel (and style) to play that well, and Judgement of Heaven is more hookier, so to speak. So even if the drums in Judgement Of Heaven might sound monotone, it still sounds like the band is more in sync than in Look For The Truth.

Just my 2 cents.

Here is my son dancing on Look for the Truth, unfortunately the image is very dark. Full screen gives best results, I guess.

Forostar said:
I hear that a bit different. Look For the Truth has a certain "swinging" groove which needs a certain feel (and style) to play that well, and Judgement of Heaven is more hookier, so to speak. So even if the drums in Judgement Of Heaven might sound monotone, it still sounds like the band is more in sync than in Look For The Truth.

Just my 2 cents.

Here is my son dancing on Look for the Truth, unfortunately the image is very dark. Full screen gives best results, I guess.

Haha, fantastic. His positure is pretty much like Blaze on stage, if you can just make him yell "COME ON" now and then, you're there!

6/10 for me and my least favorite song on the album.  It's just never properly clicked for me.  I don't feel like the music and lyrical tone match up and Blaze's vocals are all sorts of pitchy all over the place on this one.  It actually may be my least favorite performance of him on disc with Maiden.

Back