London 2012 Olympics

You got to be kidding. It's the other way around. The whole world apart from some North American countries call it hockey. And the stuff on the ice is called ice hockey. Sorry. :)

Women's sport? You mean the sports on your continent where they're walking with pillows up their buttocks bodies? ;)

Women's sport? You mean the sports on your continent where they're walking with pillows up their buttocks bodies? ;)

You mean the one that's really rugby with padding, right? :p

In the past I know that a lot of school's in the UK viewed football as a "mens" sport so the girls did hockey instead... not due to it being deemed a women's sport but because they forbade the girls to play football. Certainly in the professional standing of the sport, men's hockey has been around far longer.

The club I used to play for had 3 junior teams (U12's, U14's, U16's) and there wasn't a girl in them, in fact over the 8 years I was there there was only ever 2 girls even at the training. For the adult teams they have 3 men's and 1 women's.

Oh, and Ice Hockey is closer to Indoor Hockey than 'field' Hockey (the field part normally being dropped completely).

You got to be kidding. It's the other way around. The whole world apart from some North American countries call it hockey. And the stuff on the ice is called ice hockey. Sorry. :)

Not up here. "Hockey" means ice hockey. Field hockey is something people are vaguely aware of and maybe watch during the Olympics. ;)

Wasn't kidding. In the U.S., there are quite a few collegiate varsity women's field hockey teams, but I'm not aware of a single varsity men's field hockey team, let alone league. So, in the U.S., it is regarded as a women's sport.

I'll just ignore the snide remarks about American football, which is the manliest and most physically punishing major sport in the world. :p

I think a primary reason for the (now) lack of mens Field Hockey teams is Title IX (schools need to give the same number of athletic scholarships to men and women), with football being men only and taking up so many of them, quite a few other sports were cut for men.

Yep, you're absolutely right, bearfan. Similar requirements in Canada have led to a lot of women's rugby teams at the high school and college level, as the men get American football.

Aslı Çakır Alptekin gets the gold and Gamze Bulut gets the silver in Women's 1500 M ! First double in 1500 M history. Great job girls !

Aslı Çakır Alptekin gets the gold and Gamze Bulut gets the silver in Women's 1500 M ! First double in 1500 M history. Great job girls !
*cough* Drugs cheat. *cough*
I did actually think of you and your despair at Turkey being good at nothing but weightlifting when that race ended.

The women's 4x100m relay was the first time I've ever been excited about women's sprinting. What an effort to smash a 32 year old world record. Perhaps someone can hurry up and set a decent time in the 100m and 200m for once. The British men's team screwed up in their heat though. The final changeover was a mess and Adam Gemili ran out of his lane. It's a shame because it was a tremendous time that could have looked good for bronze in the final event in the stadium tomorrow night and it's a crappy way for Christian Malcolm's Olympic career to end. :(

*cough* Drugs cheat. *cough*

How dare you ? They also won the gold and the silver in European Championships, no way there's a cheat going on, they didn't come out of nowhere. (yeah take that Eurosport announcer)

By the way we also won a gold and a silver at Taekwondo and there's also a gold medal favorite at that one, so I guess our best sport will be Taekwondo from now on. :D

Wasn't kidding.

Amazing. Well then: Time to dive into history and look a bit beyond your borders:
the Olympics surely serve that purpose, not? :)

This tournament features (field) hockey for men since 1908 (except 1912 and 1924), while women's field hockey has been played at the Games since 1980. Now that is a difference isn't it?

In 1984 and 1996 the Games in Los Angeles and Atlanta featured both male and female hockey teams from the U.S. I checked the other Games and found out that since 1932 American men only competed twice when the Games were organized outside their nation: Berlin, 1936 and London, 1948.

Unpleasant statistic: The American men lost all their matches at all the Games they competed in, even when they won their Bronze medal in 1932. So that Bronze medal should be held in the correct perspective: Only three nations were competing, and the U.S. lost both their matches vs India (2-9) and Japan (1-24). So winning a bronze medal without winning, is quite ridiculous if you ask me, hehe. After that, but also before that, more than 3 nations competed, so you had to work a bit for a medal. :)

(Field) Hockey is popular among both males and females in many parts of the world, particularly in Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. It is played internationally by both men and women including the Olympic Games, the Commonwealth Games, the quadrennial Hockey World Cups, the annual Champions Trophies and World Cups for juniors. Many countries have extensive club competitions for junior and senior players.

The Dutch women won gold today! Check the 2nd goal here (fantastic to watch the slomo from the back):
http://nos.nl/embed/?id=v:405554&autoplay=1
405586.jpg

http://nos.nl/os2012/video/405575-hockeysters-ontvangen-hun-medaille.html (medal ceremony)
http://nos.nl/os2012/video/405581-hoog-aymar-is-ook-maar-mens.html (interview)

edit:
I found this info on wiki and it also mentions Title IX:
Outside North America, participation is now fairly evenly balanced between men and women. For example, in England, the England Hockey reports that as of the 2008–09 season there were 2488 registered men's teams, 1969 women's teams, 1042 boys' teams, 966 girls' teams and 274 mixed teams. In 2006 the Irish Hockey Association reported that the gender split among its players was approximately 65% female and 35% male. In its 2008 census, Hockey Australia reported 40,534 male club players and 41,542 female. However, in the United States of America, there are few field hockey clubs, most play taking place between high school or college sides, almost entirely of females. The strength of college field hockey reflects the impact of Title IX which mandated that colleges should fund men's and women's sports programmes comparably.

I always have known Hockey games for their characteristics of play: Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Rink Hockey.

The Rink Hockey is more popular on Latin countries. The Field Hockey is the most popular version worldwide. The Ice version is played on the Arctic and on Neptune :p (USA, Canada, Russia, Northern Countries are the best for obvious reasons; actually, according to wikipedia, there are several other European and Asian Countries with this version, something i was not aware, though i wonder if it's all amateurish, i mean ice hockey in Greece is funny. :cool: ).

I'll just ignore the snide remarks about American football, which is the manliest and most physically punishing major sport in the world. :p

1. American football is not a major sport, it only is in the U.S. (and Canada, probably)
2. American football is not even CLOSE to being the manliest sport. It's a pussy's rugby, that's what it is.

Mexico just scored against Brasil in the final of football! Just 30 seconds had passed! Hope my country wins something that important for first time, the party will be too damn long lol

I think he was joking, but the USA could actually be awesome at Rugby if it was taken seriously:]

Alright then.

And yes, they would. USA probably can succeed at any sport if they want to. They're rich, their sports system is superb, they have sport fields and arenas everywhere and they have migration possibilities.

Back