London 2012 Olympics

I haven't told her yet, and I'm not sure she'd be too happy about it. :lol: Doubt I'd be able to catch her if she wanted to get away from me quickly though.

Looking forward to the finals in Women's Beach Volleyball. I started watching this 8 years ago (for obvious resons), but am to the point now where I enjoy the sport the Traynor/Walsh team is just fantastic at it ... I'm happy US will get Gold and Silver, but am pulling for Traynor/Walsh as this is the end for that team.

I know it's the football thread but I have add this : Spain faced up France in the Olympic basketball quarter finals today and they won. The classic Spanish flopping was there and late in the game when the game was sealed, French forward Nicolas Batum punched Spanish guard Juan Carlos Navarro in the groin and explained why he did so afterwards : "I wanted to give him a good reason to flop." He also slapped one of the biggest floppers of the Spanish team, Jose Calderon.

Interesting stuff. The French believe Spain lost to Brazil on purpose in the group stage (they're a far better team than Brazil) to be 3rd in their group and face up France. The person whom Batum explained the punch, Adrian Wojnarowski has written on Twitter that he said "Some won't think groin shot is in Olympic spirit." and Batum replied "Do you think if you lost a game on purpose, that's the Olympic spirit?"

But I'll tell you something interesting : French team did exactly the same in 2010 World Basketball Championships, tanking a game against New Zealand to face Turkey in the next round. We dominated them ultimately, though.

Yeah, some disappointment in the stadium. They didn't salute the winners tonight.

I just watched Kobe scoring 3 3 pointer in a row. This way, is impossible, really... :ahhh:

The French believe Spain lost to Brazil on purpose in the group stage (they're a far better team than Brazil) to be 3rd in their group and face up France. The person whom Batum explained the punch, Adrian Wojnarowski has written on Twitter that he said "Some won't think groin shot is in Olympic spirit." and Batum replied "Do you think if you lost a game on purpose, that's the Olympic spirit?"

Happens all the time. Didn't a few badminton teams get kicked out of the Olympics for being a little too obvious in their tanking?

Try a lot too obvious. They were the best teams in the world and they couldn't do anything other than hit the net.

So Canada won the bronze in football. Very fortunate win... but whoever scores more, deserves to win... :p

so you had 2 teams trying to 'out lose' each other...
Like the SouthPark episode? :)
With the velodrome events over Britains come off the burners now in terms of medal haul. But c'mon we were pretty dominant in that velodrome :okok: except for those ...3? events we didn't take gold (but did get a bronze and a silver from two of them). I am pleased. The points race in the Omnion however blew my mind :duckie:

Has this already been posted? Team GB's latest gold medal.

425079_10151043632374764_1343842266_n.jpg

I believe the Jamaicans even run at sleep. Unbelievable. Bolt stop running, he could easily had beaten the world record. This is great.

Tonight GB was totally overclassed and humiliated by that little country on the other side of the North Sea:
Men, hockey final: Holland - GB: 9 - 2!
Just watched it on the BBC again. Excellent. But the British captain was a bad loser in the interview afterwards.

I haven't watched it yet but I know the score. That is well and truly thashed, the Netherlands are 2nd only to germany in terms of number of wins for the euro championship (mens) and 1st for womens so for a team to go out to it's not something I'd call shameful. Personally I think what's most to blame is that the UK is so over focused on football that other team sports don't stand a chance of proper ground here (and given how badly they suck at international football that's even worse :p)

Damn well played on the Dutch part though, it certainly makes me look forward to the final against Germany - who played fckin fantastically this afternoon vs Australia.

As said I've not seen it yet so I'm curious - what was said by the captain? The previous games I've watched the Dutch weren't exactly the most gracious of teams themselves ;) Look forward to watching it anyhow, and more so for the final!

EDIT: Just read an interview, it isn't the captain but one of the players said
"You get what you deserve in sport and today we didn't deserve anything."
I wouldn't call that a bad loser so I'm rather intrigued to see what the Captain said now

EDIT 2: Just reashed the end of the 1st half... so far, Britain didn't deserve to win. Even in the first 10 minutes there were some really abysmal mistakes that I think I'd be ashamed of making at the local team level :/ After the 3rd goal you could see from the reaction's that a few of the players had pretty much given up. At this point I would say not only are the dutch playing to a high standard but they are a lot calmer than they have been in previous games too.
Honestly, even just from this first half they deserved to win, Britain did not.

EDIT 3: Never mind.. second half with the umpires decision - whilst I actually agree with the Dutch that it did not hit the foot following the penalty corner - the amount of arguing back at the umpire after the video referral is absurd. Whether the decision was incorrect or not, the rules state that the umpires decision stands, I can understand objecting but that went a bit OTT (which is more like the display ive seen in previous games :p) especially given they were already 4-1 up.

Also, found this quote:
Following the match, a disappointed Great Britain Captain Barry Middleton said, “Sorry, that wasn’t really us. It’s hard to explain what happened. Credit to the Dutch, they played a good game. They just tackled, shot and ran around better than us. You don’t have many games where a team does every aspect better than you. We were definitely not where we wanted to be or where we could have been and that’s the disappointing thing. We need to look at it and find out what went wrong and make it right for Saturday.”
If that's what you were meaning by post match interview, that doesn't really sound like bad losing to me. Infact, no offense, but you came off worse with the objection to the penalty corner in the women's match (which WAS a correct decision imho, and clearly the team of umpires all agreed rather than the above case which was "we can't tell"), and you won that one so it was more of a bad winner :p

Just hit the 5th Dutch goal, THAT was damn nice. FTR, my original point of the Dutch deserving to win still stands ;) I know this has been a long post but the hockey's probably the only one I've any interest in ;) ... Freakin hell, watching while typing... I'm not surprised it went to 9 goals, second half they just seemed to leave James Fair to fend for himself, it just baffles...

Wow nice to see you're so much into uit. That's what I call passion for sports! :)
I saw on BBC1 that the GB-captain blamed themselves for losing (or for letting the Dutch be so good), and the interviewer tried to convince him that the Dutch were very strong, which they were of course. Dexterity and speed was the key, instead of the often propagated power/running hockey by other countries.

A Dutch newspaper speaks of Barcelona (the football one ;-) gameplay. Now let's see how we'll fare again vs Ze Germans. First tonight the women vs Argentina.

Oddly, I'm completely unpassionate about sport normally. I hate professional football it drives me nuts, I enjoy playing most sports (altho am no longer fit enough to do that!) but I have no interest in them really. Hockey is an odd one for me, I played it for a long time so it interests me... I'm not one of those who will stand and yell at the TV etc. If the national leagues were on TV I would probably watch the games when I didn't have anything else to do but I'm not a fanatic ;) Hell I'm surprised how into it I've been this past week o_O The next time I give any attention to sport will likely be the hockey in the next olympics lol.

I saw the Germany game vs Australia, Those 2 + the Dutch are possibly the 3 strongest teams in the world, and the Germans had some fantastic play.... there was one goal which was disallowed (final touch was just above his shoulder) but it was scored via an overhead pass from the halfway line to a lone player in the D who volleyed it 3 times - final one going over the keeper - didn't hit the ground once.

Brit's were tbh, outclassed by Dutch completely. But as the game went on they just seemed to make bigger holes in their defense.

Back