London 2012 Olympics

But we will never know 'cause they ballsed it up. Again.
I read in the paper yesterday morning about the number of times the 4x100m team have screwed up and it's been happening consistently since 1996. There was the gold in Athens (without Chambers) but most of the time that relay has been an unqualified disaster. I think having Adam Gemili on the final leg was a mistake simply because of his inexperience. He's a great sprinter but I think the pressure caused him to mess the final changeover up. Perhaps he was put there so that the media attention would focus mainly on him rather than Dwain Chambers. I'm pretty sure the British team would have got the Bronze medal had they been in the final which would have been a nice way to finish the final night in the Athletics stadium in the London Olympics. Stunning run from the Jamaican team though, the USA equalled the old world record and still couldn't beat them!

Think about it mate...

Think about what? The fact that we have one gold in soccer for the first time EVER? That we denied that same honor to Brazil? That the gulf between Mexico and U.S in the charts is due to the fact that the U.S has the funding, equipment, nutritionists, etc to produce Athletes in practically every capacity and Mexico is lucky to field decent Track and Field, Walking, rowing, boxing and Tae Kwan Do teams?

The fact that this win is an incredibly historic event for Mexico and our only gold of the games... we are incredibly happy.

Mexico has been producing great youngsters but they seem to have a hard time succeeding in the A level. I mean they had big successes in youth stages in last years but they don't seem to be one of the frontrunners of a World Cup championship, not even a quarter final, actually.

Agreed. Only 5 of the "golden generation" (First team to win the u-17 World Cup in 2005) made it to the top level. We're hoping more of this recent crop will make it. We have one in the last couple of years, the u-17 World Cup, the Pan-American games, The Gold Cup (U.S tourney) and the Toulon Tournament of Hope against Turkey. :D

Good on Mexico for winning that match. Brazil hardly showed up and then realized in the second half "oh shit we need to play as a team", which quickly turned into " oh shit, Mexico is actually good". Lapse of concentration in the final minutes, but honestly it was embarrassing for Brazil, with the amount of talent that they had, that they didn't give their all. I know its just an olympic medal and therefore not as important, but I mean, come on. A well-deserved win for Mexico.

Oh yeah, and don't even get me started on the medal race...we all know its about bragging rights and that those countries most involved in wars and with the most oppressive regimes are most likely to do well there because its about bragging rights and they're willing to fund that sort of thing instead of fixing their own problems at home. Or have we forgotten the great success that the Soviet Union always had at the Olympics?

Think about what? The fact that we have one gold in soccer for the first time EVER? That we denied that same honor to Brazil? That the gulf between Mexico and U.S in the charts is due to the fact that the U.S has the funding, equipment, nutritionists, etc to produce Athletes in practically every capacity and Mexico is lucky to field decent Track and Field, Walking, rowing, boxing and Tae Kwan Do teams?

The fact that this win is an incredibly historic event for Mexico and our only gold of the games... we are incredibly happy.
gmex-m.jpg

I hope this clears it up...

Depends on how you count medals, Forostar. If you consider gold to be the only qualifier, then yes, it's a bad Olympics. Number count..we wanted to finish in the top 12, so we're one out of that goal. I think that this is a result of the press to win in the winter that came on after Calgary, and I'm ok with it. Fuck the Summer Olympics, we'd rather beat the Dutch at speedskating :D

I thought Sir Winston was going to say "We shall never surrender", and then we hear tan tan tan tan tan tan - tan tan tan tan tan - tan tan tan tan tan tan - tan tan tan tan

I thought Sir Winston was going to say "We shall never surrender", and then we hear tan tan tan tan tan tan - tan tan tan tan tan - tan tan tan tan tan tan - tan tan tan tan

Damn that would've been too good to be true.

So far its been totally forgettable. The UK has so many famous and good artists...how couldn't they get some of them to participate?

:shred::rocker::edmetal: la la la la lal all la la la la lal la la la la la la la la

The only interesting moment was the Queen--Lennon connection. The Floyd was ok.

---------------

So, this means Maiden is coming next? lol :D :D

hmmm... as a closing ceremony it was a good representation of modern british radio... I didnt hope for much i would even slightly enjoy when i heard it was to be a 'symphony of British music history'. Madness, the pet shop boys and Annie Lennox were passable. 'Queen' was good before i noticed that yellow trail coming along from Jessie J, Always look on the bright side of life was funny and what i'd expected and that surprisingly good song by MUSE i loved :huh: . I mean i've always quite liked them but i really enjoyed that one... maybe it was just the steaming pile it was surrounded by :D
I was prepared to change the channel when i heard One Direction or Jessie J/Taio Cruz/Tinchy Stryder (or Tinie Tempah, i cant remember which it was). But thats more to do with my militant hatred to anything liked on mass by my fellow teenagers :)
Still somewhere deep in the back of my mind i was hoping to hear a Maiden song folded in somewhere but overall the games were very... British (and in being so the utter polar opposite of Beijing). Good luck to Rio and maybe we'll hear Maiden in their ceremonies :lol:

The best part was Boris Johnson dancing to Spice Girls. That is the Boris-moment of all time.

I'm actually quite sad it's all over. The build-up always annoys me, especially the BBC's "721 Days to go" stuff on the news for the last seven years. The there's the torch relay which I don't give a damn about and only watched part of it because someone I know carried it in Perth. When the sport starts though, well my thoughts change entirely and a few hours in I'm hooked to the TV screen for a fortnight. Watching the olympics this year has made me wish I'm good at sport, which I don't think was quite what Seb Coe had in mind but it's as close as he'll bloody get to inspiring me!

Who's ready to Rock in Rio in four years time? Perhaps the organizers will get Sepultura to play at the opening ceremony! :rocker:

I'd like the 2020 Olympics to be held somewhere in Scandinavia, preferably in Finland. Ensiferum, Finntroll and Moonsorrow on the opening ceremony, Children Of Bodom, Nightwish and Stratovarius on the closing ceremony:shred:

The best part was Boris Johnson dancing to Spice Girls. That is the Boris-moment of all time.

I noticed that. I can't believe that wonder of a mans position as London mayor was ever questioned when compared to the other people running as competition (not that kind of running). Nobody else could ever represent London or Britain better wether its looking like a random guy in a suit at Beijing and losing a fight with a flag, giving speaches that to him must seem inspirational and wise but to us are more fascinating and hilarious, getting stuck on a zip wire or grooving to spice up your life. :notworthy: Vote Boris for Prime minister

I'd like the 2020 Olympics to be held somewhere in Scandinavia, preferably in Finland. Ensiferum, Finntroll and Moonsorrow on the opening ceremony, Children Of Bodom, Nightwish and Stratovarius on the closing ceremony
Preferably Sweden, Sabaton, Arch Enemy, In Flames (performing nothing from their recent album) and ABBA

Back