Live Recordings

nuno_c

A hollow universe in space
One of the things i love (and i think pretty much anyone loves) about this band is their live performances.

But the thing is, do you guys know if Maiden has ever over-dubbed any of their live CD's and/or DVD's in the studio?

As far as I know, they cut out some stuff Bruce said during RIR and added a few "Scream for me Brazil"'s and stuff like that.

As far as I know, they cut out some stuff Bruce said during RIR and added a few "Scream for me Brazil"'s and stuff like that.
Yeah, i know about that. I'm talking more about the performances, you know? If they "fixed" any instrumental or vocal performances later in the studio or if the band is purist about it.

As far as I know, they cut out some stuff Bruce said

I hate when they do this. There's some brilliant and hilarious speeches on the Maiden England 88 show from Bruce - they've cut all of it from the CD version. Listening to the show without knowing all that good stuff was cut you get the idea that Maiden just showed up, played and went home without Bruce ever talking to the audience a single time :p

Rock in Rio has some vocal overdubs where Bruce beckons the crowd to sing and then he still sings. You can tell when you listen to the original webcast.

In the liner notes for Maiden Japan they said they used a little bit of overdubs.

Dont know if it was ever proven but there were rumours about 'Live After Death' - particularly if you compare Bruces vocals on the album to those on the video/DVD, theres a huge difference in quality considering they were both supposedly recorded in the same venue on the same week!

Those were recorded from different shows I believe.
Yeah but from consecutive nights - somehow he cant hit the notes in Aces High on one night but on another he miraculously can all of a sudden? Both recordings were from the same week, not like it was months apart!

One of the in-jokes on the Maiden DVD's is to have a guitarist play another guitar every time they show him. For example, take a look at Rock in Rio or Flight 666 or whatever - Janick's playing his black Strat, then he's playing his white Strat, and then black again - all in the same song. So, you have to be aware of that the footage isn't actually taken there and then; they edit in lots of thing - Rock in Rio was edited with shots of another show etc. As for the newer DVD's they've filmed several consecutive shows so the final result you hear/see is an edited together concert consisting of the best parts, I would assume.

That's the visuals, as for audio - they naturally edit and mix the material in post production. How much? Hard to say, unless you have another copy of the same supposed show to compare it to.

If they'd need to overdub something in the studio today, I would guess that show isn't suitable for release. Was different back in the 70's or 80's when it probably cost a lot more money to record a show on tape. I'm very suspicious of the older stuff, in that regard.

Dont know if it was ever proven but there were rumours about 'Live After Death' - particularly if you compare Bruces vocals on the album to those on the video/DVD, theres a huge difference in quality considering they were both supposedly recorded in the same venue on the same week!

This is a part of a book I've been writing for years so please, if you're going to quote it in another part please give me credit!

Many people will say that the Live After Death releases are the unaltered recordings from the concerts that made it onto the album & video and quote Steve saying, "So there were no overdubs done, nothing added in the studio afterwards to make it sound better like you get with so many so-called 'live' albums these days. It was exactly as we did it on stage, warts and all, which is why it sounds so exciting, I think. It was the real McCoy." (Steve Harris for Mick Wall) others, like me, will say that the releases have been altered by mixing tapes from the gigs that took place on Long Beach Arena between March 14 & 17 and adding overdubs afterwards and quote Bruce saying, "That record was assembled from three nights at Long Beach, with different tracks being selected from different nights. It also was messed around with a bit. Some of the backing tracks were fine, but Adrian's guitar was way out of tune on one or two songs, so we went into a studio here in LA and did some guitar overdubs and I think I even did some vocal overdubs on 'Run To The Hills' and some other bits." (Bruce Dickinson for Fredrik Hjelm – February 1, 2002) or "Live After Death was not just one concert. It was assembled out of different songs from different nights. We recorded at least three nights, and then we assembled the best out of those three nights." (Bruce Dickinson for Martin Popoff - The Top 500 Heavy Metal Albums of All Time. Published by ECW Press. 2004).

I remember reading an interview with Adrian in a magazine about ten years ago where he confirmed that he had done several guitar overdubs on Live After Death. I'd be pretty confident in saying many of the backing vocals were also overdubbed.

I'd also be pretty confident in saying there are none on A Real Live Dead One or Live at Donington.

For Rock in Rio, I don't think they went back and did any in the studio, but Kevin Shirley certainly cut and pasted stuff in the vocal tracks and moved stuff around to fill in bits in choruses where Bruce had left out a repetition of a line to let the crowd sing it (the most obvious example being in The Clansman where if you listen carefully you can hear Bruce doing two things at once - he is a very capable man but even he can't do that!).

For Death on the Road, again I don't think they bothered with any overdubs but mistakes on guitar tracks were certainly fixed by cut and pasting on the master tracks. If you watch the raw video that was broadcast (some of it was on German TV at the time) there's a mistake in (I think) Rainmaker that is gone on the album version.

My original taped from FM Donington 1992 has the mistake in The Evil That Men Do where Bruce starts the chorus too early, fixed for the Cd

My original taped from FM Donington 1992 has the mistake in The Evil That Men Do where Bruce starts the chorus too early, fixed for the Cd
Interesting. I wonder why they didn't fix all the other scrappy parts of the gig! It's not one of the better Maiden live albums...

The live version of "The Evil that Men Do" from the "Futureal" single has Blaze overdubs on the chorus. It's taken from the Gothenburg '95 show, which is on "The Eternal Flame" bootleg. In "The Eternal Flame" version, Blaze doesn't sing the high, ending part of the chorus: "lives on and ooooooo-oooooon!!!" until the very last chorus. In the "Futureal" single version, he sings the high ending part every time. There's also a bad splice that's quite noticeable at the very end of the song.

I still have this on cassette, recorded from the radio on the day (along with all the other bands that day...Slayer, Thunder, Skid Row etc.) :rocker:

Back