Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Let me tell you a completely meaningless but interesting fact. My first name is very rare in Estonia. In fact, there are five people with this name in my country. I’ve met one personally at a party back in school, maybe seven years ago. We had some common friends, so we met, talked for a minute and never met again. Just now, I walked into my local cafeteria, joined the queue, and who was standing in front of me? The guy with my name. How did I recognise him after all these years? I have a good memory for faces. The point is, for a brief moment in time, two of five people with this name were standing within one square meter of each other, coincidentally. And the most represented name in the cafeteria at that moment was probably our extremely uncommon one. It would’ve been funny if they asked clients’ names for their order, and shouted it out once the food was ready.

A work colleague told me today that he has an old friend called Andrew who was an early roadie for Maiden and has kept in touch with Thunderstick.
Could you please tell your colleague to tell Andrew to tell Mr. Purkis that I thank him from the bottom of my heart for the excerpts from the rehearsal tape? Thanks a lot. (To you, not Mr. Purkis.)

Could you please tell your colleague to tell Andrew to tell Mr. Purkis that I thank him from the bottom of my heart for the excerpts from the rehearsal tape? Thanks a lot. (To you, not Mr. Purkis.)
Now, what rehearsal tape would this be? Will Thunderstick understand what I mean by "Magnus from Maidenfans said ..." or is this something you're, er, not really supposed to have?

It's not the one of Bruce on the bog is it?!!? :blink:

Can anybody who knows physics (@Dr. Eddies Wingman) explain to me why the Doppler effect in acoustics does not depend on distance between the travelling and observing body? Let's say a police car with sirens is driving toward you at a certain speed and you're standing still. The formula of the siren's sound frequency change only takes into account the speed of the traveller, the original sound frequency of the siren and the speed of sound in the environment. But if the soundwaves the siren produces become more and more pushed together as the distance between you and the car decreases, shouldn't the frequency increase as the wavelength shortens?

Back