Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I was going through my "to-listen" list, and it has three things I've never listened to that I've heard are great:
  1. Somewhere Far Beyond
  2. Iced Earth's Gettysburg trilogy
  3. ABBA
Where should I start?
Believe it or not, ABBA will have the highest highs out of that list.

The Gettysburg trilogy is the best thing Iced Earth ever did imo. Rippers vocals are god level
Among the best yeah, as a trio definitely in my top 10 faves from them. I wouldn’t say Ripper’s vocals are god level but it is one of the best performances he’s put down.

That said, Jer is right.
Believe it or not, ABBA will have the highest highs out of that list.
ABBA is just great all around.

I was going through my "to-listen" list, and it has three things I've never listened to that I've heard are great:
  1. Somewhere Far Beyond
  3. ABBA
Where should I start?

If you've never heard ABBA before you should indeed start with them, if only because of their importance for western popular culture. You don't need anything other than a greatest hits compilation unless you really like what you hear, but I think you should know those.

Also, having just guided a group of really nice Americans, I had to think of how I took @bearfan and his kid to the museum.

1. Somewhere Far Beyond
  3. ABBA
Where should I start?
There's also Alice Cooper, but I'll leave him for later.

The Gettysburg trilogy is the best thing Iced Earth ever did imo. Rippers vocals are god level

Maybe not the best but pretty divine, yes.
Dante's Inferno or Something Wicked Trilogy are pretty decent too. Musically Gettysburg is better but the voice of Barlow is next level mighty in my opinion. And let's not forget the whole Horror Show!

Maybe not the best but pretty divine, yes.
Dante's Inferno or Something Wicked Trilogy are pretty decent too. Musically Gettysburg is better but the voice of Barlow is next level mighty in my opinion. And let's not forget the whole Horror Show!

The Something Wicked Trilogy is ace, no denying it. But the way Ripper delivers the verses on ‘The Devil to Pay’ brings me out in shivers

I like better High Water Mark. The moment when he signs "God forgive me, please forgive me, it's all my fauuuult" is the peak of the trilogy and one of the finest moments in Metal.

I like better High Water Mark. The moment when he signs "God forgive me, please forgive me, it's all my fauuuult" is the peak of the trilogy and one of the finest moments in Metal.

Funnily enough I remember that moment well, as many years ago I was being told a series of important things by my then girlfriend, but I wasn’t paying attention as the metalhead in the room next door was listening to the Gettysburg trilogy. It reached the ‘it’s all my faulttt’ bit and I did a fist pump and said ‘Ripper nailed it’ and she shouted and shouted and shouted at me because apparently I cannot prioritise properly.

Funnily enough I remember that moment well, as many years ago I was being told a series of important things by my then girlfriend, but I wasn’t paying attention as the metalhead in the room next door was listening to the Gettysburg trilogy. It reached the ‘it’s all my faulttt’ bit and I did a fist pump and said ‘Ripper nailed it’ and she shouted and shouted and shouted at me because apparently I cannot prioritise properly.
It’s such a great moment. When Ripper nails it, he fucking nails it, and that line is an example of him fucking nailing it. That said I have a lot of issues with his enunciation, his thinner voice, and his vocal approach in general. Hearing him singing as Lee kinda throws me off a bit. But the whole trilogy is a straight 10/10 (albeit also a bit problematic in its storytelling) and I’m absolutely fine with what we got. I never hear the songs outside of the context because to me it’s really just one 30 minute song.

A quick newsflash on SPOILER POLICY re posting about Legacy of the Beast World Tour 2022. We're going to lock the post-pandemic thread in Maiden Chat on Sunday and start a new tour thread with tour dates in the first post.

Members are politely requested to head for this new thread to chat about the tour as it gets underway, and try to keep spoilers in there, for the enjoyment of other members who prefer to be surprised when they turn up for their local show*

However, as it's proven so difficult in recent years to police spoilers, forum members are advised that moderators can't guarantee any part of the forum is 100% spoiler free.

*Well, apart from Wrathchild, which will find its way onto the setlist on any Maiden tour obvs

I wonder if anyone has ever completely avoided this place so they wouldn’t see any spoilers.
I wonder how long anyone can keep their head in the sand for?

The last Maiden show I was at, when the roadies were bringing out the monitors (with setlists taped to the fronts) someone half-way down the arena shouted out "keep your setlists to yourselves - I haven't avoided spoilers all this time just for you to ruin it now!" :lol:

Back