Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

It sounds like he was a great fella who never let anything slow him down, and he'll be missed. Really sad news. He reminds me a lot of my grandmother, who was a tough old dame. She was a fully independent divorcee in her 50s who became a great social worker and she never stopped learning until Alzheimer's caught her up. She sent me my first email back in the 90s and always seemed to know what was coming next. Good people and hopefully we get to be like them.

Sorry to hear it, NP, but sounds like he had a full life! I can barely get my parents to figure out YouTube and they're not even 70. I never knew one set of grandparents and the other were not around much, so it's nice that you have such good memories of him.

Now, I'm gonna go scour YouTube for that machete and chopsticks channel...

Grandpa NP sounds like a great guy. Sorry for your loss, but glad to hear of all the good memories.

I have only good memories of my grandparents (three of them, my grandpa on the father side died years before I was born). My grandmothers both died when I was a kid (in 1988 and 1991) so the only one who got to follow me out of childhood was my mother's father. He was the kindest guy you could think of. He had two heart attacks before he was 75. In his 78th year he had an accident where he dislocated his shoulder and that sent him downhill. Never recovered and spent his last two weeks in hospital.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss, NP. :( My thoughts are with you and your family.

Lost my grandfather in the late 90´s, he had lungcancer and only was 67. He had to work in a factory in Germany during WW II. My memories of him are still strong. He was a funny, sincere, religious man. My other grandfather died a few years ago. He was a farmer and introvert person, liked to be on his own...like his grandson.

Oh, since we talk about that, my grampa died six years ago after several years of fighting a debilitating disease (most likely a combination of Parkinson's, dementia and the final stages of diabetes that he's been fighting for almost three decades). This guy who was always the "man's man", who protected and served his family to a stunning degree, this mountain of a man suddenly became unable to walk, talk, sit properly. He simply collapsed before our eyes and it never got better. He was 71 when he died.

Many times over I felt embarassed, because he tried to say something to me and I couldn't understand.

I felt embarassed, because when my mother called me the news, I almost couldn't remember how he was before that. And he was one of the nicest people to me when I was a kid, I remember that, but also kinda don't.

I'm not writing this here to complain or to try to get some pity (it's a long way ago and we all made our peace with it) or something, it's just that many of your stories are more optimistic and I'm happy for that. :)

Last edited:
The amount of albums I've heard front to back ONLY once (well, at least before the GMAC started) could be counted one hand probably. When finding an album, I usually sit on one it for a while to digest it, and only then go on, so I listened to almost all of them at least some times before seeking out more.

I'm starting to lose track of all the social media platforms I'm supposed to be using, because every lecture, every workshop and every meeting uses a different one. I think as of now it's:

Viber
Zoom
Whatsapp
Facebook Messenger
Discord
Whova

Pretty sure I'm forgetting one and pretty sure there will be more to come.

Viber is like Whatsapp, basically.
Webex is used for online teaching. It sucks.
Whova is used for online conferences and events.

Webex is terrible.

I'm on Slack, Discord, G-Suite (including Google Meet and Google Chat). I still have a Skype running in the background. But that's it.

Back