Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Saap, as bearfan says, just wait. I was a skinny fellow until my mid to late twenties. Metabolism changes around this age and lifestyle changes around this age so I guess that would be some explanation.

The most important thing is that I'm not giving up on sweets, cakes, cookies, chocolate, any of it. I think if you cut down on soft drinks and fried stuff you can live through a candy bar or two.

Yeah, I agree with that, I do not want to be a total maniac and eat wheat germ and seeds all the time. Anything is fine in moderation, I was not moderating the sodas. I still have an ice cream every other day, do a burger and fry lunch once a week, and enjoy a BLT about once every 10 days, and a Saturday morning doughnut run (though now I literally run to get the doughnut). Stuff that makes life worth living, at least in the culinary sense :)

Yeah, I agree with that, I do not want to be a total maniac and eat wheat germ and seeds all the time. Anything is fine in moderation, I was not moderating the sodas. I still have an ice cream every other day, do a burger and fry lunch once a week, and enjoy a BLT about once every 10 days, and a Saturday morning doughnut run (though now I literally run to get the doughnut). Stuff that makes life worth living, at least in the culinary sense :)
The boyfriend tells a joke about a patient who goes to see a doctor to ask about how he can live longer. The doctor tells him a long list of unhealthy habits he needs break, foods he needs to cut out etc. The patient says "Doctor, if I do all this, will I live for ever?" The doctor replies "No, it will just feel like it" :lol:.

This way you earn the doughnut. :) I'm planning on starting to run again tomorrow morning after nearly a year's hiatus.

That's what I figure, I walk or run to go get things most of the time (unless it is insanely hot .. not worth heat stroke) ... makes me decide what is really worth it.

Yeah insanely hot is not worth anything. I actually got myself that bicycling shirt which ventilates like king, and a backpack with water bladder in. That's the equipment for short uphill run I try to do couple of times weekly, but only for roughly 30-35(c). Below I don't need it, above nothing is worth it. I imagine it's worse in Texas...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah insanely hot is not worth anything. I actually got myself that gay bicycling shirt which ventilates like king, and a backpack with water bladder in. That's the equipment for short uphill run I try to do couple of times weekly, but only for roughly 30-35(c). Below I don't need it, above nothing is worth it. I imagine it's worse in Texas...

Yeah, it can get up to 43 here as the actual temperature (add 5 for the "feels like" temperature), generally around 40 not much after 10AM ,even if I go out at 7AM it will still be around 30 and generally humid from May to early September.

Luckily it is finally cooling off a little, I would rather go walk in the middle of the day, it is a nice brain reset cranking some music and thinking about nonsense. But think it will be October before that is really an option for me.

Edit: I usually walk in a pair of basketball shorts and a Maiden shirt ... still seems to scare some of the bible thumpers around here :)

If it makes you feel any better .. and it should not ... I had the same problem when I was younger. I am 6'2" (about 188cm) tall and had a hell of a time getting much above 150 lbs (68KG) for years .. then I woke up one day and said what the fuck happened, I am getting fat .. and now I have to work out to get to something reasonable :)

I don't mind being skinny but I'm 6'4'' and that's the most I've weighed...that's too skinny. 10 more pounds would already be a lot better. Gotta eat, eat, eat, not much else to it, really, just difficult to shove down large amounts of food consistently.

I don't mind being skinny but I'm 6'4'' and that's the most I've weighed...that's too skinny. 10 more pounds would already be a lot better. Gotta eat, eat, eat, not much else to it, really, just difficult to shove down large amounts of food consistently.

Again I was the same way, I played some sports in High School and my coaches always wanted me to put on weight. I would eat so much good, heavy food like lasagna, pasta, etc before a game and gain 5 lbs, then sweat off 7 while playing. Hard to put on, hard to keep on, easy to loose. Now it is the opposite. Probably not a lot you can do beyond wait until you get older and eat a lot.

I get what you are saying, I really disliked how thin I was as well.

I would sometimes fix back and make faces at old people who had a too long judgemental stare thrown at me. Would probably get sued for that in the States, intentional scare or something heh. Anyways it is becoming very nice here also, daily high is 30, it isn't moist and a constant breeze. Luckily I haven't spend a single day of my vacation of this year yet :)

P.S. to mods who removed that ajdective, those two words combined are not a slur in my language and as such not even mentioned by the local rights groups. But that doesn't matter, the post is in English and I'll try to keep that in mind.

Saap the eating more thing won't help. Your metabolic activity currently doesn't favour stocking up reserves and how to change that is a question for a board of medical experts. When I was in your situation I ate everything my mom and grandma would make at home, I would breakfast pastries that I would toss a shovel of pure sugar on beforehand, I would eat huge quantities of microwaved fats and stuff after dinner. It was a running gag of how much I can eat and still be skinny. Let things go and don't sacrifice the enjoyment of eating the meal just the way you like it.

I do think high protein and higher fat diets might help, but I am no nutritionist. There are those muscle mass drinks and that kind of stuff. Even if you cannot put on weight-weight, adding some muscle can make you look bigger

I think most of them sell snake oil, it is not a regulated thing or a scientific discipline. Without proper medical diagnostics there is no way to know actually what exactly are you missing in your diet. But getting yourself into workouts (or out of them) will tweak your metabolism.

I think most of them sell snake oil, it is not a regulated thing or a scientific discipline. Without proper medical diagnostics there is no way to know actually what exactly are you missing in your diet. But getting yourself into workouts (or out of them) will tweak your metabolism.

Maybe .. it would require some research. I never figured it out, but I was trying to figure it out in the 1980s with a lot less info than there is now .. and there was nothing really wrong with me, it was just how my body worked.

I think bearfan is right in that a bit more muscle could to the trick, even if the weight stays the same. Not too difficult to grow some at the gym either, just have to be consistent about it.

What about starting to do some exercise with weights? That would probably trigger your body to keep more of the stuff you eat ... and you would be building muscle, not fat.

Believe me and the others who have posted ... it will build fat later anyway.

I was never skinny, but I remember being around 20, starting regular weight exercises and gaining almost 10kg over a few months ... while becoming more fit.

Back