Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Given a proper budget some of the scenes from the Bible could be absolutely fascinating to witness in semi-faithful movie form. Particularly stuff beyond Jesus's story.

But more broadly, a couple of events I find rather fascinating are the Black Death (if not too bleak), and the aftermath of the Mongol empire right after Genghis's death.

Given a proper budget some of the scenes from the Bible could be absolutely fascinating to witness in semi-faithful movie form. Particularly stuff beyond Jesus's story.
He said history!

I would like to see a big historical epic film around the end of Richard Cromwell's short Lord Protectorship and the way that Charles II came back.

My first thoughts were old stories but not historical events. Lots of great source material in the Bible beyond the usual Jesus fare, but also think a Greek mythology sort of cinematic universe could be really cool.

I also would like to see a historical fiction film in the vein of Django Unchained/Inglorious Basterds but set in the 1600s where the Indigenous tribes revolt against the Dutch colonists and drive them out. In general, the colonization/forming of America is underrepresented in film and I would love to see someone approach it in an unapologetic manner akin to Tarantino's films.

I realize none of these directly answer Perun's original question, but such is the internet way.

Not exactly a historical film or any kind of documentary, but the film "The Man From Earth" is a fun watch. There is actually not even a single scene giving a glimpse of any historical event, just a bunch of people with intellectual background looking at history of mankind.

If you ever want to put your driving skills to the test, rent a car in Sicily and drive around in a city or a town in the hills.

Also applies to basically all of southern Europe. I've seen some absolutely insane and reckless drivers in Greece.
That’s true, I was in Corfu a few years ago and my Greek friend was driving us around. Even though I usually feel at home with manual transmission cars, I’m glad to have rented an automatic here. The roads in Taormina are crazy steep and narrow. Bus drivers are a whole ‘nother level.

But how does it work? Do they take turns pissing while the others cheer? Like I get going together but not TO THE SAME STOOL!
Yeah, you wouldn't believe how many times I've been wondering about that. One of the big mysteries in life for sure. I'd be willing to bet they took a couple of group selfies too.

Apparently, yet another ancient friend of mine I had recently kinda lost contact with kicked the bucket* last week. "Apparently", because I heard it from a guy who had heard it from another guy who wasn't too sure so called a third guy who apparently confirmed it...

Apt to the extreme. You never really knew where you were with him back in the days. He was a loyal friend, a cheat and a liar, honest to the bone, a remarkable pain in the ass, a great guy to talk to about nearly everything and spend time with, dedicated to his family in a way I've never seen, decent to the extreme, unreliable in most aspects, and, above all, a warrior, in the true old sense of the word. All the violence he had seen - and inflicted - is better left unmentioned, but if I've ever met anyone worth of immediate admittance to Valhall, it's him. And he even wasn't too much into either black metal or Norse mythology so no idea where he'd prefer to end up.

My friend, if news of your death is false, may you live and prosper and walk your own path as you always have.
And if you are no longer here, thank you for the time spent together, for being there when needed, and for teaching me joyful scorn.

* Knowing him, the bucket must be in a really sad condition.
Thank you very much guys.
Reading this again, I also wish that you would write my obituary.
I really hope I'll never have to do this, but I do appreciate the sentiment.
Revisiting some of my favourite film music, I keep coming back to the question, what is a historical event I would like to see turned into an epic film? I'm always at a loss. What does everyone else think?
Barbarica conspiratio (and no, this is not what @Night Prowler suggested above); battle of Brunanburh and a few more I'll write about when and if I have Internet at home again - none since Saturday and typing long texts on phone is a chore.

Didn't know where to put this, so I've decided to write it in this thread, to, like, let youse know what's going on (and why my appearance here might have been seen as sporadic and erratic, lately).

Anyway, it hasn't been all that fine since December at the very least - the entire family had covid and I had some bacterial pulmonary superinfection to top it off - spent three weeks useless, then another bacterial infection got the youngest son (who wasn't even a year old back then) and he was hospitalised for several days - wifey went to be with him and I was taking care of the older boys. This was happening even on New Year's Eve.
Then it never really went back again - at first I had what seemed like cardiac problems (even checking myself at the ER, just to make sure), which was probably post-covid, back pains, some neurological symptoms (tingling sensations, numbness) and ever since January, my eyes have been weird - the left one slightly blurred, more sensitive, easy to strain, miniature scotoma, no amount of examination (including OCT, dilated eye exams and brain CT and MRI) could find what is happening. It's not debilitating, just ... tiresome.

Since there was neurology AND eyes, I was recommended a neurological exam, so I underwent lumbal puncture and MRI in March - but the first doctor, a prominent authority in the academia, made a bad indication of both procedures, so it was recomended to repeat those.
Then I had GIT issues and diarrhoea for about six weeks, I was even sent to colonoscopy, but it went away before I could undergo it.

In between I had a severe tonsilitis with fevers that couldn't be brought down (two hours of 40° fever before the pill worked, 2 hours of feeling kinda okay and then back to 40°) and I was so "fried" that after the antibiotics worked and I was the first evening without fevers I actually had hypnagogic hallucinations when I lied down (thankfully those haven't returned).

Then the youngest one got RS virus or something and since he has sensitive bronchi, he (along with wifey) was hospitalised again - that was some time around Easter.

And to top it off, for last cca month and a half I've been having some weird issues, probably new-onset allergies - itching all over, weird sensitiveness in the skin, joint pain, more GIT problems, small edemas and so on - it changes all the time, but mostly it could be probably subsumed under allergies or general atopy. Most of it is getting under control once I got fitting anti-histamines, but I'm waiting for blood test results, but so far I think it's at least SOME pollen (I suppose grass), some kind mold (we had something at home and had to renovate our living room and sleeping habits) and definitely some food allergies, or at least cross-allergens. I hope the results will come as soon as possible, I should know in the beginning of July at the latest.

However, since there were some issues before, I had to re-do the lumbal puncture (and this time had a post-puncture syndrome for several days), I'm having MRI of brain, optic nerve and neck spinal cord in July and since the GIT issues came back too, also the colonoscopy in August.

A few weeks ago the youngest had yet another respiratory infection and we've been threatened with hospital once again, but this time it wasn't needed.

Like I said, I expect some of that to be allergies, some is probably post-Covid/long-Covid/whatevertheheckit'snamed and I know I'm not the worst off in general, some people can't function at all, but... still.

Along with that, I was so distracted I forgot to change oil in the car, so now it kinda complains and I shouldn't drive it and I'm gonna be carless for the next few days (I can commute via other ways, but it's so uncomfortable it's not a long-term viable solution) and to top it off, as of now I fear I might be reacting to BOTH wine (yeast?) and wheat, so I don't know whether I'm going to be even able to take Communion. Which is, like, a really big deal.

Also, the boys are having some kind of growth spurt and the eldest especially is completely ... insufferable (I love him, but he's demanding at the best of days) and the youngest one is teething.

Anyway, enough of kvetching, just thought I might tell you (especially @Perun @Magnus @Brigantium @Black Abyss Babe @MindRuler @LooseCannon - that's why I might be on and off again, both online-wise and mood-wise :D ).

Last edited:
Back