Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Ruling it out? Au contraire, I take it for granted it will be played. After the first week of the tour, at least :innocent:

OK, I realize this joke has probably overstayed its welcome and I'll get my coat.

He he, no need coat just stay away from the social, mass media, crowds and major cities (where’s my coat), best decision you’ll ever make, half the setlist is a surprise.

I’m searching business justification to come to Europe as we speak!

Heavy Metal with some Prog, (Greek) Folk and Power Metal influences. Fairly traditional stuff, but the drumming is rather modern and the guitar riffs are inspired a bit by metalcore-style pedal point riffing.

Greek folk like what? Stratos? Akis? Modern?

Greek folk like what? Stratos? Akis? Modern?

A bit more abstract I suppose. The epic on my first album for example includes a section in 9/8 basically playing a zeibekiko. Some of the acoustic passages use a bouzouki and there are a couple of parts in Greek (and even an intro in Ancient Greek lol). So, it's mostly inspiration, not a nod to a particular era or musician. There's gonna be a bit less of that stuff in the second album though.

Last edited:
A bit more abstract I suppose. The epic on my first album for example includes a section in 9/8 basically playing a zeibekiko. Some of the acoustic passages use a bouzouki and there are a couple of parts in Greek (and even an intro in Ancient Greek lol). So, it's mostly inspiration, not a nod to a particular era or musician. There's gonna be a bit less of that stuff in the second album though.

9/8 is very unique rhythm and one that remotely every Greek today knows to play even without knowledge of music theory. I've read that 9/8 has been used in religious hymns /music since at least Pythagoras' time.

9/8 is very unique rhythm and one that remotely every Greek today knows to play even without knowledge of music theory. I've read that 9/8 has been used in religious hymns /music since at least Pythagoras' time.
Yeah, both 7/8 and 9/8 have been entrenched themselves in the folk music of those regions for centuries and probably millenia. Many folk dances have so called "short steps" (one quarter note) and "long steps" (one and a half quarter notes, or one dotted quarter note) and combine them in various ways, resulting in the odd time meters mentioned. For example you could have two short steps followed by a long, which would be 1+1+1.5 = 3.5/4 or in eighth notes 7/8. Even though I grew up outside of Greece, those rhythms, those songs and dances are still ingrained in my mind which is quite fascinating.

I guess that could explain why it infuriates me when people clap along to a song in 4/4 and instead of clapping when the snare hits (usually 2 and 4) they clap on the 1 and the 3 lol

Very interesting and valid points. You touched an interesting subject. Once I bought a CD Box with folk music from Crete "Οι Πρωτομάστορες" highly recommended if you ever find it.
In the booklet about one of the lyra players (Skordalos) it was mentioned that the old timers were writting music together with the dancers and how the X famous and good dancer helped Skordalos with his accurate moves to write some of Creta's best folk songs.
I was surprised and touched by reading this, so I'm putting it up there for you.
Another thing, it's said that the most interesting and of biggest variety folk dances are those in Thrace. Greece is a small country but the richness of its music /folklore is just huge.

Do you go to any πανηγύρια when in Greece? i.e. 15th August?

I haven't been to Greece in over a decade at this point, due to various things never lining up properly, but when I was there (usually in the summer), my family and I used to go to πανηγύρια. Not sure how it's outside of Thesprotia, but in the summer there was usually at least one each weekend, because some tiny village was celebrating its local saint. So you could drive for half an hour and find one easily lol
Never was a dancer, so we usually just sat down, ate souvlakia, drank (well, the adults :D ), talked and had fun.

Back