Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I just realised I may have never gone there. I thought Parga was Thesprotia but no. Nor Acheron the river of the dead, though there's a part of that river inside Thesprotia.
Speaking of which there is a necromancy on its bunds.

Also myself not a dancer, but now I'd like to learn. Last year I did the best πανηγύρια tour ever, following Psarogiorgis' schedule. 14th in the biggest one of Crete, a monster of πανηγύρι, they were playing up to 7am. Next day, 20km away, right below the cave where Zeus was born in mount Dikti, man they started ~20:00 and they were playing non stop until 5:00 am.
The day after, I took my car and went in Rethymnos, 2 regional units away and it there he was, accompanying his father Psarantonis. What a monster of endurance.

I just realised I may have never gone there. I thought Parga was Thesprotia but no. Nor Acheron the river of the dead, though there's a part of that river inside Thesprotia.
Speaking of which there is a necromancy on its bunds.

Also myself not a dancer, but now I'd like to learn. Last year I did the best πανηγύρια tour ever, following Psarogiorgis' schedule. 14th in the biggest one of Crete, a monster of πανηγύρι, they were playing up to 7am. Next day, 20km away, right below the cave where Zeus was born in mount Dikti, man they started ~20:00 and they were playing non stop until 5:00 am.
The day after, I took my car and went in Rethymnos, 2 regional units away and it there he was, accompanying his father Psarantonis. What a monster of endurance.
That sounds fascinating! The springs of the river Acheron are actually in Thesprotia, in Γλυκή, which is quite close to the village where my mother is from. Another of the ancient rivers of the underworld, Kokytos, flows through the village my dad is from lol
Epirus in general has a bit of a fascination with death and the afterlife, probably because of the mythological connection. Folk songs from that area have basically three topics: a) food and drink, b) love and sex, c) death and the grim reaper. For me it was the most normal thing in the world, but it was kinda surreal when I explained this to someone who wasn't from there and hasn't ever been to Greece, which made me realize how morbid this could sound out of context lol

That sounds fascinating! The springs of the river Acheron are actually in Thesprotia, in Γλυκή, which is quite close to the village where my mother is from. Another of the ancient rivers of the underworld, Kokytos, flows through the village my dad is from lol
Epirus in general has a bit of a fascination with death and the afterlife, probably because of the mythological connection. Folk songs from that area have basically three topics: a) food and drink, b) love and sex, c) death and the grim reaper.

Acheron is the riven man!! You are right, there were 3 rivers consisting the underworld network, the second one was Kokytos and third one with the beautiful name of Πυριφλεγέθων. All three are mentioned by the Homer when Ulysses goes to underworld to talk with oracle Tiresias. For Kokytos he explicitly mentions that it starts from Styx.

κ510 -514
…ἄραξ' ἐκεῖ τὸ πλοῖο σου στοῦ Ὠκεανοῦ τὴν ἄκρη,
καὶ στοῦ Ἅδη κίνησε νὰ πᾶς τ' ἀραχνιασμένο σπίτι,

Ἐκεῖ ὁ Πυριφλεγέθοντας στοῦ Ἀχέροντα τὸ ρέμα
κυλιέται μὲ τὸν Κωκυτὸ ποὺ πέφτει ἀπὸ τὴ Στύγα,

κι ὁ βράχος ποὺ βαρύβροντα τὰ δυὸ ποτάμια σμίγουν…

The people who originally were named Greeks were living around Dodoni, in the heart of Epirus (Epirus= infinity, Άπειρος).
I was born in Epirus and my nickname, five, comes from the pentatonic scales used in the songs from there.
Actually it comes exactly from this song (which is part of a book /CD set from Music Producer Akis Golfidis). First time ever that I find it in YouTube :)

PS: There are many photos of Acheron river in the video.

Impressions from my first day of walking. I went from Porto to Vilarinho, taking the metro to Araújo to skip the industrial outskirts of Porto. I don’t regret that I did because 19 km is enough for day 1, the skipping helped cut around 7 km.

Portuguese people are super hospitable, and greeting them with Portuguese phrases makes them smile right away. The place I’m staying at tonight has a 29-year-old Brazilian and a bunch of older Spanish dudes. The Brazilian is the only one who speaks English, and he’s a nice fellow, although he had a hard time understanding why Russia attacking Ukraine is wrong, so I avoided going deep into that topic. The highlight of the day was when I paused at a little roadside café to rest and an older guy approached me, surprisingly speaking (basic) English. He asked me where I’m from and exclaimed: “Bullshit!” when I replied with Estonia. Thing is, he heard that I said Australia, where he had lived for 25 years. He made a couple of jokes, local ones I suspect (like saying that I love “spring water” as I was drinking beer), and briefly told me his life story. In the end, he said: “I know what it’s like being away from home. You’re still lonely but not alone anymore.” The old man hit the nail on its head. It really resonated with me. Oh, beer and wine are ridiculously cheap here. Enjoying the two of those, I should call it a night soon. Funny, I still find it difficult to relax without a little buzz even so far from home. ~25 km to Barcelos tomorrow.

And in a moment the memories are all that remain - a line I never really thought about until it became reality this morning when I received the news of my father's death. I still held his hand a few hours before.

I don't even know why I'm posting this here.
Sorry for your loss, Perun. Wishing you all the best right now.

And in a moment the memories are all that remain - a line I never really thought about until it became reality this morning when I received the news of my father's death. I still held his hand a few hours before.

My condolences to you and your family, Perun. Sorry for your loss.

Really sad news ... my condolences. :confused:

This is something it is not really possible to be prepared for, even though the day comes to most of us eventually. I hope you find the strength you need in those around you.

Back