Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Now I get to hear people complain about all the Canadians, U.S Citizens and the occasional European that has "gentrified" our country making it too expensive for the locals.

Same in other places, rents /life cost are ridiculously high considering wages no less due to the penetration of richer foreigners.

In the end of the day, no matter the wage segregation the vast majority of people do experience, money is global. Thus to be considered a rich man today you could afford living a rich lifestyle not only in Cambodia but in Switzerland as well.
And even in the poorest of countries there are locals who could afford flying first class to buy a villa in Monaco and live as a rich men there.

Same in other places, rents /life cost are ridiculously high considering wages no less due to the penetration of richer foreigners.

In the end of the day, no matter the wage segregation the vast majority of people do experience, money is global. Thus to be considered a rich man today you could afford living a rich lifestyle not only in Cambodia but in Switzerland as well.
And even in the poorest of countries there are locals who could afford flying first class to buy a villa in Monaco and live as a rich men there.
Yup, I have to remind my students this is a global crisis.

I visited a temple of Hermes and Aphrodite at 1200 above ground. Even with the car was challenging. It should be a challenging and expensive building project for ~500 BC...
Hermes was (among others) a phallic god* and Aphrodite the absolute female. Their son was Hermaphroditus, carrying both sexes.

A clear statement of respect to gender ambiguity in the antiquity. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermaphrodite

tempImagegKEu5y.jpg

*Herm of Demosthenes
800px-Herma_Demosthenes_Glyptothek_Munich_292.jpg

I was away from this forum for a while. Then I popped back in, saw there was a Greatest Metal Song Cup I didn't get to submit anything for, and lost my desire to participate. 'Tis a pity, too - I would've added some explosive stuff like this and had a lot of fun.

I was away from this forum for a while. Then I popped back in, saw there was a Greatest Metal Song Cup I didn't get to submit anything for, and lost my desire to participate. 'Tis a pity, too - I would've added some explosive stuff like this and had a lot of fun.

We need more video game music discussion on this forum.

I missed the nominations for the greatest metal album cup that was held a while ago and despite me being rather disappointed with some of the nominations in that cup, I participated nonetheless, because hey, it was the most intruguing activity on this forum anyway.

Besides, now with this cup I nominated something back then and I would pick a lot of different stuff nowadays, so I wouldn't dwell on that too much - if you have something to say about any given round, by all means do it and if you happen to come by and vote for the actual better stuff (<_<:ninja:) then definitely do so as well. You know, the more the merrier.

I am putting a gigantic amount of effort into the cup. it's intended to take a long time. Next time out hopefully you get a chance to throw in songs.

The women who had both say a kidney stone is possibly worse than childbirth. I kinda wish I didn't have to find out for myself. Been to ER yesterday evening and I'm still having waves of pain. Mates, especially blokes over 30, drink a lot of water and eat a lot of watermelon, especially when it's so hot outside. Wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy.

The women who had both say a kidney stone is possibly worse than childbirth. I kinda wish I didn't have to find out for myself. Been to ER yesterday evening and I'm still having waves of pain. Mates, especially blokes over 30, drink a lot of water and eat a lot of watermelon, especially when it's so hot outside. Wouldn't wish this upon my worst enemy.
I wish you a quick recovery!
Wish I could take away the pain, a former colleague had a kidney crisis at work some years ago and it was horrible to see him crawling on the floor.

I wish you a quick recovery!
Wish I could take away the pain, a former colleague had a kidney crisis at work some years ago and it was horrible to see him crawling on the floor.

Yeah, before they injected me with the spasmolytics, I literally thought I'd lose my mind with pain. Some grandma saw me at the admittance and then again at the pharmacy and she immediately said to me "kidneys, weren't it? I was pretty sure, I know it myself." The worst thing is, there is nothing you can do apart from prescription drugs that would help you in any way. Lie down, stand up, sit down, walking, curling up, nothing.

Thankfully, it's manageable now. But considering the fact I've been having these chronic problems (most likely as a part of long-covid) these past 8 months, I just kinda start to feel ... well, no longer crippled just on the inside, I guess :D (Cried, when he was still visiting the forum, always kept making fun of me quoting that Lennon song once)

How I hate translators who don't approach their work consistently. I'm reading a book on data analysis in Python. It's not easy in itself, but the translator decided to do the following:
- he leaves the names of functions in English, e.g. range() but sometimes translates data types and sometimes doesn't, so in one paragraph he writes e.g. 'dataFrame' (as in the English documentation) and in another 'data frame' (in Polish, not English), meaning exactly the same thing and the same context.
- he describes the same action in different ways, describing the differences between functions - function X matches / function Y cuts data - these two descriptions concern exactly the same action.

I had an hour to learn before I start cleaning the house, I read 4 pages because I had to look at the documentation non-stop.

How I hate translators who don't approach their work consistently. I'm reading a book on data analysis in Python. It's not easy in itself, but the translator decided to do the following:
- he leaves the names of functions in English, e.g. range() but sometimes translates data types and sometimes doesn't, so in one paragraph he writes e.g. 'dataFrame' (as in the English documentation) and in another 'data frame' (in Polish, not English), meaning exactly the same thing and the same context.
- he describes the same action in different ways, describing the differences between functions - function X matches / function Y cuts data - these two descriptions concern exactly the same action.

I had an hour to learn before I start cleaning the house, I read 4 pages because I had to look at the documentation non-stop.
Yeah, that sounds exhausting. Keeping function names in English is pretty standard, but for data types it's too confusing to translate them, so those should stay in English as well in the best case. Having both dataFrame and the Polish translation for data frame is needlessly messy.

How does mixing English terms with the Polish language work? Is that a thing? In German we often take English loan words. In casual speech this can seem quite excessive and there are plenty of people who find that to sound somewhat ridiculous. For computer science or data science topics it's not only common, it's welcome to mix in English industry words to keep consistency with definitions and not having to explain what you're talking about. Maybe the author, for whatever reason, tries to minimize loan words as much as possible? Who knows lol

Yeah, that sounds exhausting. Keeping function names in English is pretty standard, but for data types it's too confusing to translate them, so those should stay in English as well in the best case. Having both dataFrame and the Polish translation for data frame is needlessly messy.

How does mixing English terms with the Polish language work? Is that a thing? In German we often take English loan words. In casual speech this can seem quite excessive and there are plenty of people who find that to sound somewhat ridiculous. For computer science or data science topics it's not only common, it's welcome to mix in English industry words to keep consistency with definitions and not having to explain what you're talking about. Maybe the author, for whatever reason, tries to minimize loan words as much as possible? Who knows lol
During casual conversations we also tend to use English. Sometimes we come across Polish but from my observations - I only come across it in books :-) At meetings, during work or at conferences we use English when we refer to tools or technologies. Even when we talk about an advertising system we use the English word 'clicks' instead of translation to make it clear in what context we are talking about it (column in the interface) while Polish is used when we talk about activity i.e. 'users click (Polish word) on our ad but data in the clicks field (English word) is sent with a 72 hour delay'. Thanks to this the context is clear. I work in a corporate HQ and it would be hard for us to communicate if we worked in another language so we force everything including interfaces to be in English.

So I think we have a similar situation to the Germans. English is so common in IT or digital marketing that a book where someone writes once this way and once differently or uses Polish to name data structures is strange. This is why mainly I buy industry books in english.

Back