Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I don’t know the Native American writing systems off the top of my head, but that sounds to me like Europeans transcribing what they heard and being hilariously weird about it. Or is there some bigger story there that I’m oblivious to?
From Wikipedia:

In an early written history of Mackinac Island (1887) by Andrew Blackbird, the Odawa historian, he describes that a small independent tribe called "Mi-shi-ne-macki naw-go" once occupied Mackinac Island. They became confederated with the Ottawa from Ottawa Island (now Manitoulin Island), situated north of Lake Huron. One winter the Mi-shi-ne-macki naw-go on Mackinac Island were almost entirely annihilated by the Seneca people from western New York, who were one of the Five Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy. Only two of the local natives escaped by hiding in one of the natural caves at the island. To commemorate the losses of this allied tribe, the Ottawa named what is now Mackinac Island, as "Mi-shi-ne-macki-nong."

It’s not entirely clear whether “Mackinac” had a hard “c” at the end and got perverted into sounding like “Mackinaw” as a shortening of “Mishinemackinong” from above, or if it was always pronounced strangely. But regardless, it looks like natives left it sounding that way rather than the smallpox blanket crowd.

One word: Worcestershire.

I don't think one letter in that is pronounced the way it's supposed to be.

And colonel - kernel!

And the whole “Celtic” shenanigans (hard/soft c)

And don’t get me started on Irish orthography...

One word: Worcestershire.

I don't think one letter in that is pronounced the way it's supposed to be.

That reminds me of Leicester winning the Premiership, it became quite spoken with amusing pronunciations

And colonel - kernel!

And the whole “Celtic” shenanigans (hard/soft c)

And don’t get me started on Irish orthography...

There is no celtic shenaningans. It's always a hard C. The original Greek word was Keltoi. Pronouncing it Seltic is just wrong.

Also, Irish spelling is completely predictable and obeys the it's own rules, it's just it's a different language to English.

Last edited:
Irish seems fine. Not sure about Gaelic, unfortunately all our Scotsmen abandoned us.

Welsh on the other hand is a fucking nightmare.

There is no celtic shenaningans. It's always a hard C. The original Greek word was Keltoi. Pronouncing it Seltic is just wrong.

"Celtic refers to Irish culture and heritage, along with the historical people who migrated from the British Isles throughout much of Europe. While the early pronunciation was with an /s/ sound, reflecting its nearest origin in French, the modern standard is a hard "c" sound like /k/. This is because language historians desired the word to better reflect its Greek and Classical Latin origins. The soft "c" sound is usually reserved for sports teams now, like the Boston Celtics."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/why-is-celtic-pronounced-two-ways-keltic-or-seltic

In my language, it's always with a hard c and thank you, I know the etymology. That's why it surprised me to come across the soft pronunciation and even more finding out it's actually somewhat legit.

And pronouncing Caoimhe like "Quee-va" or Conchobhar as "Cro-khoor" is insane, rules or not. I don't complain, I like the language, but it's insane nonetheless.

"Celtic refers to Irish culture and heritage, along with the historical people who migrated from the British Isles throughout much of Europe. While the early pronunciation was with an /s/ sound, reflecting its nearest origin in French, the modern standard is a hard "c" sound like /k/. This is because language historians desired the word to better reflect its Greek and Classical Latin origins. The soft "c" sound is usually reserved for sports teams now, like the Boston Celtics."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/why-is-celtic-pronounced-two-ways-keltic-or-seltic

In my language, it's always with a hard c and thank you, I know the etymology. That's why it surprised me to come across the soft pronunciation and even more finding out it's actually somewhat legit.

And pronouncing Caoimhe like "Quee-va" or Conchobhar as "Cro-khoor" is insane, rules or not. I don't complain, I like the language, but it's insane nonetheless.
Strč prst skrz krk.

:ninja:

Irish seems fine. Not sure about Gaelic, unfortunately all our Scotsmen abandoned us.

They're quite similar, both evolving from Middle Irish, and would be fairly mutually intelligible to speakers.

EDIT: re: welsh, I think it's mainly the spelling that's difficult with welsh. I was in the welsh speaking parts of Wales, and the rhythms and sounds of people speaking the language sounded very familiar.

Strč prst skrz krk.

:ninja:

Tří tisícé tří sté třicáté třetí kulaťoulinkaté, přitom neobhospodařovávatelné políčko je ze všech tří tisíc tří set tříceti tří kulaťoulinkatých, přitom neobhospodařovávatelných políček tři tisíckrát třista třicet třikrát nejkulaťoulinkatější a nejneobhospodařovávatelnější.

Ze všech zdevětadevadesáteroneroznásobitelných čísel pak nejnevykrystalizovávatelnějšími procesy proto propočteme čísla mezi všemi čísly nejzdevětadevadesáteroneroznásobitelnějšími zcela nejzdevětadevadesáteroneroznásobitelnější.

Za domama má má máma malou zahrádku.

Budou-li se štítiti ti títi ti tiší hoši.

But also, if you want to keep it in that consonant-y way...

Chrt pln skvrn vtrhl skrz trs chrp v čtvrť Krč.

Plch zdrhl skrz drn, prv zhltl hrst zrn.

Vlk prdl v hrst, vrhl prd v smršť vln.

Chrt pln skvrn zhltl hrst zrn.

Smrž pln skvrn zvlhl z mlh.

Last edited:
Back