Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Guys... Can you save the arguing for the actual game? :D

Metallica songs that are surely* eligible for TJST are The Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, The Unforgiven II and The Unforgiven III.

Iced Earth songs that are surely* eligible for TJST are I Died For You, A Question Of Heaven, Melancholy (Holy Martyr), Watching Over Me, Consequences, Blessed Are You, Ghost Of Freedom, When The Eagle Cries, A Charge To Keep, Harbinger Of Fate, Anguish Of Youth, End Of Innocence and If I Could See You.

*Maybe some other songs I missed.

I haven't yet decided on the criteria and the game format though.

Prophecy is obviously not a ballad.

So how about the Metallica ones, then? (TDTNC, FTB, WH, One) You also don't count them as ballads? (Or similar stuff, like Deth's Hardest Part of Letting Go ... Sealed with a Kiss?)

(Just for the record, I'm not trolling - if I was trolling I'd ask about Nick Cave's Murder Ballads which are obviously not ballads too, I guess :p)

Yeah, but I believe the idea is to have a game consisting of good ballads. ;)

Oooh, I see we have another of those "I'm supposed to not like this" fellas ;)

ReLoad is better than Kill 'Em All. Not even the first time I'm saying this.
More cohesive, more well-baked, with more vision. Load is more of a mixed bag, but there's a lot of good material there as well.
But sure, Load was bad, so ReLoad is even worse, right? Right?

Anyway, I've been meaning to ask for quite some time - is there anyone else who likes opera? 'Cause the classical and opera fans don't always overlap and it would be proper (methinks) to open a thread for opera exclusively... but I don't really want to start a thread nobody bar myself is going to contribute to.

Oooh, I see we have another of those "I'm supposed to not like this" fellas ;)

More cohesive, more well-baked, with more vision. Load is more of a mixed bag, but there's a lot of good material there as well.
You do realize we were talking about ballads, right? My comment had nothing to do with the overall quality of (Re)Load as a whole. In fact, I dont even disagree with you about Reload being better than Kill 'Em All. I rate both albums about the same.

I switched from Opera to Chrome like 9 years ago when Opera's shitty updates ruined a good thing.

Thank you for your invaluable input. <3

You do realize we were talking about ballads, right? My comment had nothing to do with the overall quality of (Re)Load as a whole. In fact, I dont even disagree with you about Reload being better than Kill 'Em All. I rate both albums about the same.

Do you find the ballads there really that bad? 'Cause honestly, I like The Unforgiven II more than the original, I admit. And yes, I prefer Mama Said to Nothing Else Matters (though it's probably overplaying/overappreciation by the Nineties generation around here, right after the Velvet Revolution...)

IMO Load was a really good and underrated album and Reload was pretty messy. That said, I'd rather listen to the highlights from Reload than the highlights from KEA (although the weak moments on KEA are better than the weak moments on Reload).

IMO Load was a really good and underrated album and Reload was pretty messy. That said, I'd rather listen to the highlights from Reload than the highlights from KEA (although the weak moments on KEA are better than the weak moments on Reload).

Yeah, I think we're in the ballpark.

Always been a Oner myself. With Welcome Home - and I admit it feels like nitpicking - I've always found the "leave me be" line a tad cringy. Possibly something about the word choice. Or the inflection? Who knows? Who'll ever know?

One and Welcome Home are awesome, but Fade to Black and The Unforgiven beat them. And my favorite out of them all is actually The Day That Never Comes.

Fade to Black always felt a bit unfinished to me, personally, possibly because the lack of a proper chorus. Though the ending with the guitar harmony really is sublime. As for The Unforgiven - sorry, no, actually I like II and III more, simply find them more interesting, musically, emotionally. Or maybe less overplayed.

Now, TDTNC, that'd be a worthy contender... if the production/mastering didn't insist on making my ears bleed.

Well, I haven't heard them for some time now but I agree with Kid that The Day That Never Comes is probably the best. The lead is some of the best they ever did. I also didn't see Halo on Fire mentioned yet.

Back