Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

0vy8co1jjfu51.jpg

So I just got myself a job interview. It's for a position as a transport driver. Basically I would just be driving a big truck back and forth between a warehouse where the make frozen pizzas, and various grocery stores. It's actually a lot higher paying than my current job, and it sounds a whole lot less stressful.

The job interview will be on Tuesday morning, which means I'll have to ditch out on my current job that day to go to the interview though. :innocent:

The thing is for this new job I'll need a CDL (commercial driver's license). But once I get the permit, the company will train me on how to drive the truck until I get the license. And it sounds like all i have to do to get the permit is study all the relevant information, and then go to the DMV and take a written test.

On the other hand, you're in a truck. And others are not. Which throws the stress-ball into their court.

Listening to a few bits from Deep Purple's "Bananas". It's a very good record - I haven't listened to it in like 10-15 years, but this is prompting me to give it a thorough spin in the near future.

Unless if I'm running late for something, sitting in traffic really doesn't bother me much. Plus with this job I can basically listen to music and podcasts for almost my entire shift, which is definitely a benefit.
That is a benefit. One of my favourite jobs was robotic email processing. It was easy, I got to listen to my iPod for 10 hours a day, and worked 4 instead of 5 days a week. Really good stuff.

I got to listen to my iPod for 10 hours a day, and worked 4 instead of 5 days a week. Really good stuff.
You worked 10 hours per day? Any breaks? Dear goodness, my working hours are 7h 15mins a day, and if I work more than that, I'm exhausted! (5 days a week, though.) If I could, I'd work even shorter hours, even though it pays less, but part-time work is usually not offered in Finland (at least not for the type of job I do.)

You worked 10 hours per day? Any breaks? Dear goodness, my working hours are 7h 15mins a day, and if I work more than that, I'm exhausted! (5 days a week, though.) If I could, I'd work even shorter hours, even though it pays less, but part-time work is usually not offered in Finland (at least not for the type of job I do.)
Yeah, of course there were breaks and lunches and stuff. It worked out to 40 hours a week - standard workweek here.

Nowadays, I work 7 hours a dayish, but since I'm not really a front line employee, I just do whatever works needs doing. Somedays that's 5 hours, some days that's 15.

Reactions: Yax
My work days are generally 5-9 hours depending on the day, never with a formal break. Of course it is service industry during a pandemic so it’s kind of a “randomly take breaks whenever” situation.

Somedays that's 5 hours, some days that's 15.
Oh god I'd be dead. I used to work as a teacher, and was able to go home at midday or 2 PM latest, although I also had to prepare the next day's lessons in the evening. When I started my normal worktime job, I was ready to go home at 2, then remembered I can't leave yet... took me quite some time to get used to 8-hour workday. Now that I work 100% from home again, I start at 7AM, finish 3PM, and that works fine for me. I often have a 45min lunch break and loads of other shorter breaks. :bigsmile:

I don't mind. I like my work, so when I get into the weeds things just need to get done. I just don't work too hard for the next few days to make up for it :D

Back