Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Do any of you have music that you can't listen to? Not don't, but can't?
Pandora’s Box - Original Sin. Some songs are on YouTube, but I can’t find the full album online (although I did find a playlist that was region blocked).

Do any of you have music that you can't listen to? Not don't, but can't?
For me an example would be Death (the band). Superb riffs, great drumming and well-written lyrics, but the pitch and texture of Chuck's growl is like a knife to the gut. I can listen to the beginning of the songs just fine, but then the growls set me on edge.
Then I become hyperaware of the rest of the music – the vocals, drums and guitar meld into one distorted blob of noise.
It feels like my insides are being gouged out with a cheese grater.

One of the worst ones for me is Symbolic, especially the chorus.

Not really. I downloaded one album - 'The Sound of Perseverance' - about 13 or 14 years ago and I thought it was OK but the vocals are very grating. Musically it's great but I struggle with the vocals.

Death metal, black metal, any growling vocals metal (with very few exceptions), any metal with female vocals, no exceptions. This is just the metal.

Anything Simon Cowell-related. If I was in a shop and "Bleeding Love" came on the PA I would literally abandon whatever I was buying and walk straight out, I hated it so much.

Music I can't listen to?

Most of the "We are the world" genre springs to mind. By this I mean songs that are made when there's been a major tragic event somewhere in the world and music celebrities join forces to make a song.

Not only are such songs usually very uninteresting musically, but they come with associated feeling of guilt for not liking it.

I recall one particularly cringeworthy one made by Norwegian artists after the tsunami in 2004. :puke:

And yes Bob. They did know it was Christmas.. Christianity came to Ethiopia before it reached Ireland.

Music I can't listen to - Hip Hop, especially the gangsta variety. I can't listen to two songs in a row without my blood boiling. It's often so aggressive on such a primitive level that I feel my body getting furious. The tamer styles on the other hand are just dull and uninteresting to me. I either get really angry or fall asleep when hearing Hip Hop, which prevents any artistry contained within from reaching me. Listening to Hop Hop is simply an unpleasant experience for me.

I can't listen to anything too happy or cheery, like funk, or jazz, or ska, or reggae, or any stuff like that. Pop is OK because it usually doesn't have annoying trumpets or too much bass.

Country Music is the worst. Unfortunately it's what most of my family likes. I like Johnny Cash though.

Back