Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Bach wrote a lot of church music, which seemed to be her main point. She said that the church music was where his heart really was and all the other stuff was just what he did to make a living. Which is funny because the actual facts suggest the opposite: he wrote a lot of church music because he had a job which required him to provide new music for three different churches, and his non-church stuff, especially the keyboard solos, are basically show-off material. The Brandenburg Concertos are probably the most famous and enduring example of an unsuccessful "spec letter" - he wrote them in an attempt to impress the Duke of Brandenburg in the hope that the latter would offer him a job (it didn't happen). He also had itchy feet - rarely voluntarily staying in the same job for very long. But she is in denial about all of this - when I told her that he was once put under house arrest to try to make him stay in his job, she simply refused to believe it.

Bach's church music has such a majestic quality to it, especially when you hear it played in a large church on a proper organ, that it's tempting to think the way she did. That's the fate of many artists, and I think the reason why up to this day, you hear remarks about how they don't get what's so special about this one piece, when they did so much better, in their opinion.

On a somewhat related note, I was in Dresden with my gf yesterday. One of the most impressive old towns I've ever seen, all the more so because of its baroque overkill. I'm not really a fan of baroque in any medium, but I can't deny that I was quite smitten by the sheer magnitude of what was being presented.

I'm not really a fan of baroque in any medium, but I can't deny that I was quite smitten by the sheer magnitude of what was being presented.
There was this one occasion when we were listening to Classic FM and they were playing some little-known solo violin piece by Vivaldi - the best way I can describe it is "shred-fest". The boyfriend commented "I'm not sure what would be scarier - if Vivaldi had had electric guitars or if Bach had had synthesisers."

Is that the normal, face value price or is it some secondary site? If Iron Maiden charged that I'd throw my own shit at them. In fact, I'd throw anybody's shite at them.
That's the normal price that the artist and promoter are selling those seats for on Ticketmaster! Like I said, they call it "Official Platinum" seating which might make it sound like you get VIP type extras, but it's just the name they give to seats that they choose to sell at inflated prices. Here is more information on that: https://www.ticketmaster.com/h/platinum/buyerfaq.html

BtyHlxh.jpg

It's sad because most of the people who can afford those ticket prices as well as VIP meet 'n greets are probably well off financially and as a result, you get people who probably don't even like the artist and go just because they can afford it and just to be there and have bragging rights. And that sends me the message that the type of people bands want to be closest to are other people similar to them and not their regular, diehard fans. Of course, I have no idea who has a say over ticket prices, but I wouldn't be surprised if my ideas play a role into it.

Back