Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I sing a lot to him. Rainbow, Dio, Priest, Maiden, Ghost. We will soon have a little Metal minion. Hope to stay clear of the classic kids lullabies.
Spotify has some awesome metal songs as lullabies, including Maiden, Priest, and Metallica albums. I’m hoping my daughter will internalise the melodies for when I play them later in full! Look up “Rockabye Baby”

It's an official platinum seat, but I just learned that is the actual, regular price of the ticket itself and there are no VIP type extras to go along with it. Damn!

You do realise that when he rebels as a teenager he'll be into he most insipid pop or dance music because you made rock and metal 'dad music'?
When we were kids my mother was adamant that Bach was the only music we should be listening to, and was absolutely convinced that "pop music" (which in her mind was everything from Elvis and The Beatles onwards) was going to hell in a basket, and we were forbidden to have any in the house (though obviously she couldn't prevent us hearing it elsewhere). But we quickly discovered that it was quite possible to antagonise a parent without openly flouting her "no pop" rule: we developed a taste for Tchaikovsky and Mozart. She hated that :lol:

That's just silly. Bach:

1. never wrote an opera
2. was a Protestant
(yes, in this order)

Case closed.

:ninja:
Bach wrote a lot of church music, which seemed to be her main point. She said that the church music was where his heart really was and all the other stuff was just what he did to make a living. Which is funny because the actual facts suggest the opposite: he wrote a lot of church music because he had a job which required him to provide new music for three different churches, and his non-church stuff, especially the keyboard solos, are basically show-off material. The Brandenburg Concertos are probably the most famous and enduring example of an unsuccessful "spec letter" - he wrote them in an attempt to impress the Duke of Brandenburg in the hope that the latter would offer him a job (it didn't happen). He also had itchy feet - rarely voluntarily staying in the same job for very long. But she is in denial about all of this - when I told her that he was once put under house arrest to try to make him stay in his job, she simply refused to believe it.
What? No Beethoven? Outrageous.
Yup, Beethoven was another on her blacklist - he had much too high an opinion of himself, apparently. I must admit I always found him fairly intimidating, and only really started to understand him recently. The boyfriend, on the other hand, is a massive fan and has been for some time.
Symphonies and Classical Music are just too corny for me.
I'm not sure what you mean by "corny" here. The classical music "scene" has suffered from some fairly major (and willfully self-imposed) image issues at various points but that's entirely the fault of the fans, not the composers, and there's good music to be found there. Of course it's not to everyone's taste but I think a fair few people get put off because they don't find it accessible enough. Which is a shame.

Back