Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

They do that all the time in the US for bigger fires. I’ve actually had a forest fire about a mile away from my house, it was all military planes dumping water. About 25 acres had burned and the fire was out in an hour.

Yeah, it is pretty common here, used to live by a small lake and occasionally a helicopter with a large bag under it would get water to drop on a fire. What it would do on a building, not sure versus a wild fire.

From what I saw on a news channel, they made it sound like they were able to at least get some items out of the cathedral. It is obviously a big historic loss

They do that all the time in the US for bigger fires. I’ve actually had a forest fire about a mile away from my house, it was all military planes dumping water. About 25 acres had burned and the fire was out in an hour.

Now there is a difference between a cathedral and a forest. Waterbombing it from a plane could very well damage some of the stuff that wouldn't burn. Of course, if they just wrote off the entire building and wanted to put out the fire quickly to prevent it from spreading, it would be feasible.

Now there is a difference between a cathedral and a forest. Waterbombing it from a plane could very well damage some of the stuff that wouldn't burn. Of course, if they just wrote off the entire building and wanted to put out the fire quickly to prevent it from spreading, it would be feasible.

Yeah, I don't know, I am not a fire fighter ... but I would think it is at least a possible option .. but seems like it is too late now for most of the church.

You realise that dropping a large amount of water dropped from high altitude basically has the same effect as blowing the thing up, right?

Man, there are relics and paintings in that building. Dumping tons of water on it would ruin everything that was saved today. Plus it would ruin what's left.

Man, there are relics and paintings in that building. Dumping tons of water on it would ruin everything that was saved today. Plus it would ruin what's left.
I would say that public safety and preventing the fire from spreading are more important than the relics. I’m not a firefighter, I do understand that the planes would fuck up the structure and not leave much left, but I don’t think there will be much left anyways.

Shit, the fire is climbing up one of the towers now. Screencap from the live stream from two minutes ago.

gorT0Le.png

I would say that public safety and preventing the fire from spreading are more important than the relics. I’m not a firefighter, I do understand that the planes would fuck up the structure and not leave much left, but I don’t think there will be much left anyways.

This is not a forest fire.

Dumping water in the middle of the city with a crowd of 5000+ nearby is just stupid.

I am guessing when the spire collapsed, it probably destroyed the majority of the inside and the objects. From when I went there, there was a vault referenced that kept some items. Hopefully that is at least okay.

In any case, it is incredibly sad to see.

Dumping water in the middle of the city with a crowd of 5000+ nearby is just stupid.
Kind of a dangerous thing to watch...

My only point I'm trying to make is that it's a lot safer of a practice than having ground crews risk their lives and it will put out the fire much faster and prevent it from spreading.

Watching the CBS live stream, they said they have reports the inside of at least one of the towers is on fire
Probably from that picture. Now that the sun is setting, it looks like complete darkness in the towers.

AFAIK, there are firemen inside now saving what it's left in there.

Kind of a dangerous thing to watch...

My only point I'm trying to make is that it's a lot safer of a practice than having ground crews risk their lives and it will put out the fire much faster and prevent it from spreading.

You need to put the fire out from the outside in. Dumping water into center of it it could cause an explosion.

The live shot they have now, shows firemen shooting water into one of the towers. If it were not on fire, I doubt they would be dousing it with water

Back