05 - August
06 - September
07 - March
08 - December
09 - October
10 - January
11 - February
12 - November

Yip, this is where I was. Wiz, this is what I was doing for all that time I wasn't on here Dec/Jan too. Ignore all that other stuff I said about Christmas & cycling.
How did you convince him to let you go? Did you promise to hunt down Obama and run him over with your bike?

Went to a coffee shop and decided to test my Bulgarian. I thought I ordered a large cappuccino and a water. I got a large cappuccino and a large latte.

Едно голам капучино и една вода моля. Probably got the genus and syntax all screwed up, but I thought the words were the right ones...

Едно голам капучино и една вода моля. Probably got the genus and syntax all screwed up, but I thought the words were the right ones...

"One something cappuccino and one water, please."

Never, ever, beg, please, or be kind to waiters in the Balkans, that's your mistake ;)

Next time order like this : "Kapucino. I vodu."
(both the quantity and the large cup should be implied)

It's a hyperbole :)

Waiters do not actually like to serve people, most of them are doing it because there's nothing better to do for the money at a given time. Therefore it's best to consider them as staff/help and not professional servants, in most cases being very outgoing won't help you get better/faster service as opposed to being cordial.

It is a general rule in Dalmatia, if you get early to the bar, the waiter is smoking, drinking his coffee and reading the paper, you'll wait for him to finish.
True story : one of my former coworkers born in Zagreb gets to the coffee place in Split downtown, sits down, waiter sees him, does not approach him for 10 minutes, finally gets his ass up, my friend is about to speak his order while the waiter pulls out a 10 kn bill (about 1.5 eur) and says - please go to Rossi (coffee bar next door)

Back