Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

My mother has visited Moldova - even the bit that still wants to be in the Soviet Union.

So has my godfather. He was detained by Transnistrian authorities. He was released when his wife stormed in and demanded his release. They both are certain that the authorities believed she would be a harsher punishment on him than a post-Communist prison ever could be.

Knowing that Pip has a pig-killing club makes me scared.

His racism is that typical condescending colonial attitude. He doesn't hate anyone of a different race/class/social background etc, he just thinks they're amusingly inferior.

To be fair, he was born in the 1920s as an excruciatingly privileged white male - and, perhaps more importantly, his status as Prince Consort has protected him from the impact of social change. It would be a lot to expect him to be a pariah of social justice (not impossible, of course). His grandkids seem pretty well adjusted to the realities of the modern world, and he didn't seem to complain aloud about Meghan Markle, so there's wins there for modernity.

The people in that cult are going to be very disappointed, though, and likely in the not-too-distant future.

It's just a bit dodgy when you have a diplomatic role representing the country, eg comments about little squinty eyes when visiting the Far East.

Back