Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

My PhD is indirectly associated with the history of Alexander the Great, and I mention him every other page, but thanks to the obsessive compulsive behaviour in the LOTB thread over the past weeks and months, I would seriously be glad if I didn't have to read that name anymore for a long time.

It's so warm outside I think tomorrow I'll go for a record early outdoor swim. Usually I don't go swimming outdoors until July (mid June at best). Last year my first was early June, but I was drunk. (A mate's bachelor party, and we had spent much of the day climbing and playing football).

It's so warm outside I think tomorrow I'll go for a record early outdoor swim. Usually I don't go swimming outdoors until July (mid June at best). Last year my first was early June, but I was drunk. (A mate's bachelor party, and we had spent much of the day climbing and playing football).
Outdoor swimming in Norway doesn't appeal to me much, even if the scenery is nice.

It can be really refreshing.

Or bloody cold. But being a North-Easterner, you should be used to the North Sea which isn't really very warm either.

It can be really refreshing.

Or bloody cold. But being a North-Easterner, you should be used to the North Sea which isn't really very warm either.
I don't make a habit of swimming in the North Sea. Not only cold but there's really dangerous cross currents all the way down the east coast. I was amazed when I went in the sea in Jersey and it wasn't freezing.

Those currents are a real hazard, yes. Having grown up near the outlet of the Oslo Fjord, I'm used to sea swimming, and in that area the water is usually calm. And after I started going hiking in the mountains in my early 20's, I got accustomed to cold water too. Sometimes, the cold river is the only place where you can escape the mosquitoes ...

Back