Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

The only time I can recall that we got extraordinary time off was during the 1994 Winter Olympics when the 1-week winter break in February was extended to 2 weeks. But I was still in primary school, and it was only the schools that had the break. The grown ups still had to go to work :D (although obviously, many took some vacation days in order to go to Lillehammer)

Btw, I just got a phone call from someone at the bank where I have the loan for my car. He wanted me to buy insurance from them as well. I said I was certain he couldn't beat what I already paid, but let him come up with an offer anyway.

It was more than twice what I am paying today :p

Did they do that for Will and Kate?
I think a lot of workplaces took extended breaks so everyone could watch the wedding on telly. Except all those involved in any of the very many companies cashing in on the whole event.

I don't actually mind the royals as much as I used to. Not that I have any interest in celebrating royal stuff, but they're mostly harmless, not bad as diplomats or tourist attractions, and have at least some sense of duty, unlike assorted politicians and alleged pillars of the business community.

I don't actually mind the royals as much as I used to. Not that I have any interest in celebrating royal stuff, but they're mostly harmless, not bad as diplomats or tourist attractions, and have at least some sense of duty, unlike assorted politicians and alleged pillars of the business community.
I look at the royals as guardians of history, ensuring the maintenance of many landmarks due to their significance, while freeing up government from a ton of ceremonial crap so that they can govern. I don't particularly dislike them (and I find Prince Harry to be rather affable).

Now, those Swedish princesses...

Did they do that for Will and Kate?
Sort of. The rules about holidays in the UK are basically:

• You are entitled to 28 days per year (assuming you work full-time - I'm not going into the realms of pro-rating or we'll be here forever).
  • There is no automatic right to take those 28 days at any particular time, including public holidays (although in theory the employer needs to give a legitimate business reason for refusing).
  • The employer is allowed to compel the employee to take some or all of their holiday at any particular time, eg public holidays or if the workplace closes at other times for example, but essentially for any reason they like (although they are expected to give prior notice to the employees so they can set aside enough days).

What they did for William and Kate's wedding was to declare an additional public holiday and then just ask the employers to be nice - they didn't go as far as to enforce an additional day's paid holiday entitlement. This meant that the employers were perfectly entitled to close for the day and force the staff to take it out of their existing entitlement.

Did you all find that interesting? Okay, I'll get my anorak ...

I love the fact that Brits left the whole slash their throat and throw them out of the window thing for the Internet age.

I don't think we will get a day off for Harry and Meghan's wedding as Harry is fifth in line for the throne so won't be king. Fair play to him though, Meghan Markle is gorgeous.

Pardon this young diesel but... any horror fans here, and if so, favorite horror films?

All-time favourites: The Ring, The Exorcist, The Omen, Dracula (1931), An American Werewolf in London, 28 Days Later, The Shining
Recent ones that I liked: It, The Babadook, The Conjuring, Train to Busan, It Follows

Problem is that "horror" is such a wide field that it's difficult to narrow it down. Is Alien a horror film? King Kong? Silence of the Lambs? Some would say yes, I'm not too sure about it.

Pardon this young diesel but... any horror fans here, and if so, favorite horror films?
I’m a horror fan. I used to be an avid watcher of low-budget horror movies with a friend. When we were travelling in the United States, we went to video stores and deliberately picked the most obscure shit to watch. Fun times. Favourite classics include Psycho, The Thing, Alien, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and surely something else I’m forgetting. The Evil Dead trilogy is favourite horror comedy. If you tolerate animation, I love Berserk.
Been meaning to watch Let the Right One In because the cover design always looked appealing.

Back