Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Many people, Americans included, only think about how the economic situation affects them. I see the same thing in Canada. In NS, when gas prices went down, people were cheering, and I said, "You realize this means the 50,000 migrant Nova Scotians working in Alberta just lost their jobs, right?" but people don't care. They don't want to or are incapable of seeing it for the bigger picture. Even if they do, it's not going to get any better if they don't get gas. I get it.

This sounds similar to the public reaction to the VW scandal here. People were cheering for a big bad company they hoped would be brought down. Others were annoyed at the massive media coverage this got. My reaction simply was, "you do realise the entire economy of northwestern Germany is affected by this, right? And it doesn't stop with the 600,000 people employed by VW, but extends to all the contractors VW has... in the entire country, and all around the world..."

How does the ignore list work, by the way? Does it mean the person cannot contact you or is it also made so you can't see their posts or what?

Not that I would ever consider actually using that (unless someone was bullying me via private messages), but I'm just wondering.

This sounds similar to the public reaction to the VW scandal here. People were cheering for a big bad company they hoped would be brought down. Others were annoyed at the massive media coverage this got. My reaction simply was, "you do realise the entire economy of northwestern Germany is affected by this, right? And it doesn't stop with the 600,000 people employed by VW, but extends to all the contractors VW has... in the entire country, and all around the world..."
Not to mention the people that are subsidized by their salaries - the people at grocery stores, at restaurants, at daycares that watch their kids, all sorts of things. That's 600,000 great jobs that could be lost. VW going out of business would be terrible for Germany.

Leave it for Czechs to find a third option - most people here were pissed because the Ministry of Transport uttered something about the car owners having to obligatorily come to a service station for the cars to be modified "back".
Cue sh**storm of wrath, because no-one really wants to be bothered by that, no-one wants anyone to touch his car etc.

It would be a massive disaster, and I hope it won't happen.
The average wage at VW is likely over 50,000 Euros - that's a ton of money to take out of the German economy.

Cue sh**storm of wrath, because no-one really wants to be bothered by that, no-one wants anyone to touch his car etc.
I think the recalls here are likely to be mandatory as well. The vehicles are illegal, and they shouldn't be on the road - and the government has the right to regulate what vehicles hit the road.

The average wage at VW is likely over 50,000 Euros - that's a ton of money to take out of the German economy.

A quick check turns up between 2300 and up to 4000 EUR/month net for a blue-collar employee, depending on field, working hours, experience, etc. But yeah, that's about as good as it gets.

Now consider that gross would be almost twice as much, and you can also see how much tax income this generates.

I think the recalls here are likely to be mandatory as well. The vehicles are illegal, and they shouldn't be on the road - and the government has the right to regulate what vehicles hit the road.

Well, I would say the simple explanation might be that because of our (relatively recent) history with an oppressive regime there is a lot of people here who react very sensitively to any government regulation - the amount of corruption and general incompetence doesn't help, really.

Well, I would say the simple explanation might be that because of our (relatively recent) history with an oppressive regime there is a lot of people here who react very sensitively to any government regulation - the amount of corruption and general incompetence doesn't help, really.
True, and absolutely people should challenge government regulations. But I suppose the simple solution is that people don't have to get their vehicle modified, but if you drive it on a public road, it should be ticketed or perhaps impounded. That should make the problem resolve itself.

I was wondering about "best of 2015"-threads about music, film, or whatever we're into. The end of the year is getting close and I remember some thread we listed best albums in last year or so, is anyone planning on doing such a thread now? Sure, I could drop a new thread with a single line and list my own favourites, but I'd like it a little bit more thought out than that.

I was wondering about "best of 2015"-threads about music, film, or whatever we're into. The end of the year is getting close and I remember some thread we listed best albums in last year or so, is anyone planning on doing such a thread now? Sure, I could drop a new thread with a single line and list my own favourites, but I'd like it a little bit more thought out than that.

@Perun and @Night Prowler did such threads late december 2014.

Both with their own twist.

http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/your-musical-journey-2014.29826/

http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/best-music-in-2014.29823/

It's been a tradition in recent years.. I don't think there's a rule as to who opens it, it's first come, first serve. So just open it whenever you feel like it. :)

Back