Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

We have one the next Thursday, and from what I've heard, it's probably around the norm. Not looking forward to it, since I work here for a very short time and don't want to be "the one who was suggestively dancing with the judge's wife, argued about the potential health benefits of smoking and then tried to sing Bohemian Rhapsody, where tried is the important word" which means I should probably stay away from alcohol altogether...

(to my defence, I merely grabbed her and waltzed some strange polka with her with increasing velocity, but it might have looked as if I was groping her. Never been that much of a dancer, even sober...)

Book a party?

My work does that for its employees, in the building itself in a room especially made for that purpose. 4 times per year. Next one: the Christmas drink/reception whatever you call that in English.

Book a party?
Yeah, most workplaces hold them in pubs or restaurants.
As Brigs says, most places (other than an office maybe) aren't really that suitable for a Christmas party; at least not the kind of party I'd be interested in attending. Some employers might contribute to the cost, but quite a lot of people organise the evening themselves. Pubs, bars, restaurants are the norm; somewhere where you can get a meal & a drink --it's an evening/night out basically. Quite a lot of places advertise & organise events specifically for works nights out i.e. they charge a price which includes food & "a disco" (i.e. music, a dance, etc.). Some people might just book a table at a restaurant themselves; that ain't going to happen with a huge crew of people though. Do you not have this as well, for people who don't work in an office?

Work has decided that I am allowed to retain admin access to my laptop, so I am taking advantage of this by installing Icewind Dale 2 from GOG.

As Brigs says, most places (other than an office maybe) aren't really that suitable for a Christmas party; at least not the kind of party I'd be interested in attending. Some employers might contribute to the cost, but quite a lot of people organise the evening themselves. Pubs, bars, restaurants are the norm; somewhere where you can get a meal & a drink --it's an evening/night out basically. Quite a lot of places advertise & organise events specifically for works nights out i.e. they charge a price which includes food & "a disco" (i.e. music, a dance, etc.). Some people might just book a table at a restaurant themselves; that ain't going to happen with a huge crew of people though. Do you not have this as well, for people who don't work in an office?
Nope. Next to that, I guess it depends on how big these groups are, but no way that a whole department (or sector) is going out (on regular basis) with working collegues, and paying themselves for it. I guess we are not that married with work as in Britain or the USA.
"Work to live" vs "live to work".

This said, I do not work in a commercial company. I am working for a cultural heritage institution, an entirely different climate.

Last edited:
Plenty of companies won't spend on anything that's not 100% essential to the operation of the business. If people like spending time with their colleagues, they organise drinks or a party. If they don't want to organise it, then it's not going to happen.

Plenty of companies won't spend on anything that's not 100% essential to the operation of the business.
That's probably the big difference with my country then, although I can't speak for all companies. Often, there is budget for something like that.

Back